Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

Rant

A VP forgot his password while on vacation, calls the helpdesk who of course change it for him without checking to see if he is on our network. He isn't so the password never syncs to his laptop, and he refuses to go to our nearest branch location (50 miles away) to get on our network to sync it. Instead he wants a new laptop shipped to him (he's in Panama) and he's going to ship the old one back. So pretty much he's going to spend more time shipping/receiving the laptops then it would take him to drive to the branch and just hardwire it in. But since he's a VP we pretty much can't say no. And I'm sure there will be documents missing as I bet the last backup time wasn't today. All this because he can't remember his password while on vacation....

What the hell!?

/Rant

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 07:49 PM)
Rant

A VP forgot his password while on vacation, calls the helpdesk who of course change it for him without checking to see if he is on our network. He isn't so the password never syncs to his laptop, and he refuses to go to our nearest branch location (50 miles away) to get on our network to sync it. Instead he wants a new laptop shipped to him (he's in Panama) and he's going to ship the old one back. So pretty much he's going to spend more time shipping/receiving the laptops then it would take him to drive to the branch and just hardwire it in. But since he's a VP we pretty much can't say no. And I'm sure there will be documents missing as I bet the last backup time wasn't today. All this because he can't remember his password while on vacation....

What the hell!?

/Rant

the perks of being a boss.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
Rant

What the hell!?

/Rant

SO WHERE IS MY LAPTOP?!?!?!?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
Rant

What the hell!?

/Rant

His windows password on the device?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 2, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
His windows password on the device?

Yea we use AD for laptop logins (among other things), so you have to be able to connect to our network to reach one of the domain controllers if you change your password. If he remembered his old pw he would've been able to login and get on VPN and sync that way but nope, didn't know it.

• 2 months later...

New exploit leaves most Macs vulnerable to permanent backdooring

Macs older than a year are vulnerable to exploits that remotely overwrite the firmware that boots up the machine, a feat that allows attackers to control vulnerable devices from the very first instruction.

The attack, according to a blog post published Friday by well-known OS X security researcher Pedro Vilaca, affects Macs shipped prior to the middle of 2014 that are allowed to go into sleep mode. He found a way to reflash a Mac's BIOS using functionality contained in userland, which is the part of an operating system where installed applications and drivers are executed. By exploiting vulnerabilities such as those regularly found in Safari and other Web browsers, attackers can install malicious firmware that survives hard drive reformatting and reinstallation of the operating system.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 2, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)

I haven't extensively researched this but it looks like it requires local escalated privlidged access/root...and if a person has local root access, I'd say they can do quite a bit more damage than this.

Note their little update at the end of the article: Headline updated to remove the word "remote" since the hack involves use of a local exploit.

Edited by Y2HH

Just pre-ordered the LG G4 yesterday from Best Buy. I found out my employee discount gets me 18% off my ATT bill, so I decided to use those savings towards finally diving in to the ATT Next program, so I'll essentially be paying $8 more a month for this $700 phone over the course of 18 months. I'm very excited to ditch this Galaxy S4 Active.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 01:19 AM)
APPLES DONT GET VIRUSES - 90% of people I know that own one.

So the other 10% are wrong. A targeted hack is not a virus. A user installed malware is not a virus. Viruses, by definition, are self-replicating. Not a single OS X virus exists in the wild. OS 9 and prior, yes.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
So the other 10% are wrong. A targeted hack is not a virus. A user installed malware is not a virus. Viruses, by definition, are self-replicating. Not a single OS X virus exists in the wild. OS 9 and prior, yes.

Those dumb people are obviously meaning to say that their devices are impervious to security threats, that they are free from worry about any malicious intrusions. Virus is just a catch-all word. We've all heard those people preach before.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
Those dumb people are obviously meaning to say that their devices are impervious to security threats, that they are free from worry about any malicious intrusions. Virus is just a catch-all word. We've all heard those people preach before.

If you are going to report posts for personal attacks, you should probably avoid these sorts of posts within seconds of reporting others.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 12:09 PM)

Anything is possible, but with UNIX, it's more unlikely.

The reason Windows got viruses was because pretty much every user had escalated root privileges over the system, not to mention Windows was designed to be very easy in that you could auto-run code of certain types. This made it easy for malicious programs to run themselves AND perform any tasks they wanted. With OSX, Linux, ChromeOS, etc., even as an "admin", you need to escalate privileges to root for certain tasks.

The word virus, when it comes to computers is misused quite often.

A virus isn't spyware, it's not a trojan, etc...if it requires user intervention, it's not a virus. A virus is code that can run itself, WITHOUT asking the user for permission to do so.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)

No, "virus" is NOT a catch all word when it comes to computers. It's a specific word used to describe a specific type of malicious computer program.

The catchall term you are looking for is malware.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
Anything is possible, but with UNIX, it's more unlikely.

The reason Windows got viruses was because pretty much every user had escalated root privileges over the system, making it easy for malicious programs to run themselves and do whatever they wanted. With OSX, even as an admin, you need to escalate privileges to root for certain tasks.

The word virus, when it comes to computers is also misused quite often.

A virus isn't malware, it's not a trojan, etc...if it requires user intervention, it's not a virus. A virus is code that can run itself, WITHOUT asking the user for permission to do so. Does that mean you can't run a program that asks an Apple user for permission to do something? No. But that's also not a virus.

'Malware' is an umbrella term used to refer to a variety of forms of hostile or intrusive software,[3] including computer viruses, worms, trojan horses, ransomware, spyware, adware, scareware, and other malicious programs.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
No, "virus" is NOT a catch all word when it comes to computers. It's a specific word used to describe a specific type of malicious computer program.

Unfortunately, it is for a lot of people. I know I've heard a lot of people say Macs don't get viruses.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
Unfortunately, it is for a lot of people. I know I've heard a lot of people say Macs don't get viruses.

It absolutely is for a lot of people, whether it's technically used correctly or not, the vast, VAST majority of people just call them viruses, and the "Macs don't get viruses" mantra is pretty well known in pop culture.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 06:01 PM)
It absolutely is for a lot of people, whether it's technically used correctly or not, the vast, VAST majority of people just call them viruses, and the "Macs don't get viruses" mantra is pretty well known in pop culture.

Because people are spreading misinformation doesn't make it true. I correct them when I hear this, and you should, too.

The vast majority of people believe a lot of nonsense. Don't be a lemming.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
Because people are spreading misinformation doesn't make it true. I correct them when I hear this, and you should, too.

The vast majority of people believe a lot of nonsense. Don't be a lemming.

I didn't say it was true, I was mocking it because of how hilariously wrong it is...

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 12:19 AM)
APPLES DONT GET VIRUSES - 90% of people I know that own one.