Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
X1? I got it a couple of months ago, and have no idea how I survived as long as I did with the old one. It is so much easier to use, plus it is nice having remote access to DVR shows, for the most part.

I like it in general I just wish someone could build a DVR that didn't freeze as often.

So, I used TMobile for 6 months last year and as a consequence my social security number was leaked and I'm now booked for 2 years of free credit monitoring. Anyone else who used TMobile should at least sign up, if you're not already receiving that benefit from someone like Target.

If you have ever signed up for T-Mobile's cellphone service, you will want to take a look at your credit history. The system the company used was hacked.

Customers who signed up for the service between Sept 1, 2013 and Sept. 16, 2015 have had their information stolen from the credit bureau Experian.

The company used Experian to do credit checks on its customers. Hackers broke into the company's server, taking 15 million people's names, addresses, Social Security numbers, birthdays and other identification numbers.

Experian notified law enforcement as soon as the hack was discovered and said that it doesn't appear that the information has been used illegally.

Affected customers can sign up for two years of free credit monitoring at Experian-owned http://www.protectmyid.com/default.aspx?sc=678628.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
The new system actually has an HD preference feature where when enabled, if you select an SD channel, it automatically takes you to the HD channel instead (if it has one). So if you hit 2 for Chicago CBS, it takes to automatically to CBS Chicago HD's channel.

So thats at least better. Nothing drove me crazier than that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
So thats at least better. Nothing drove me crazier than that.

Yeah, I don't even know what channel any of the HD channels are except for CSN. I just type in 2, 5, 6, 7, whatever and it automatically goes to the HD channel. No more of the "press OK to view in HD" like the old system had.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 12:50 PM)
Does Comcast still have the "standard channels" and the HD ones? So if you pressed 2, it would take you to CBS but the standard def?

Direct TV was awesome in that regard.

Whatever the box (HD/SD) was, it picked up that type of signal.

The AT&T U-verse DVR is complete s*** compared to Direct TV.

AT&T sucks

Dumb question...

I have a modem with router for my at home wifi, could I plug another cable modem w/o router into a different cable outlet and not have it interfere with my wifi? I want to plug my work laptop into a modem instead of working off of unreliable wifi.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
Dumb question...

I have a modem with router for my at home wifi, could I plug another cable modem w/o router into a different cable outlet and not have it interfere with my wifi? I want to plug my work laptop into a modem instead of working off of unreliable wifi.

No. The modem has to be programmed to connect to your carrier, you can't just plug any modem into the wall and connect successfully.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 11, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
But I can have two modems connected to my carrier on one account, right?

I doubt it...that would require them to assign 2 different IP addresses, something I doubt they'd do.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 14, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
Thinking of swapping my wired genies out for wireless, any reviews on that? Should I expect any loss of quality?

Wireless Genies will freeze and skip but not very often to be a concern.

I liked the portability and the decrease in cords and crap.

Cost was a little higher.

God I miss my Direct TV...Uverse sucks.

I've had DirectTV for almost 2 years now. I've been pretty happy with it but for some reason we lost the signal for AMC within the last week. We were able to watch the last episode of Fear the Walking Dead but it didn't record the season opener of Walking Dead.

Of all the hundreds of channels we get, it is literally the only one that won't come in. Called customer support and they had me try a bunch of things but couldn't fix it. Paying $50 to have a technician come to the house. Of course they tried to sell me the "insurance plan" for $7.99/month which meant I wouldn't have to pay for the service call.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
I've had DirectTV for almost 2 years now. I've been pretty happy with it but for some reason we lost the signal for AMC within the last week. We were able to watch the last episode of Fear the Walking Dead but it didn't record the season opener of Walking Dead.

Of all the hundreds of channels we get, it is literally the only one that won't come in. Called customer support and they had me try a bunch of things but couldn't fix it. Paying $50 to have a technician come to the house. Of course they tried to sell me the "insurance plan" for $7.99/month which meant I wouldn't have to pay for the service call.

Wait, did you pay the $50? Tell them to go f*** themselves with that fee. If you're paying for a service and the service isn't being provided, it's THEIR responsibility to fix it. Tell them to reinstall the cable, provide a new dish, provide new receivers, etc. until it's fixed. You shouldn't pay a dime towards that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 15, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
Wait, did you pay the $50? Tell them to go f*** themselves with that fee. If you're paying for a service and the service isn't being provided, it's THEIR responsibility to fix it. Tell them to reinstall the cable, provide a new dish, provide new receivers, etc. until it's fixed. You shouldn't pay a dime towards that.

Yeah I just had a technician come to troubleshoot my box today and it was free. Not sure why they are charging for that. He swapped out the DVR and its perfect.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
i am eyeing a wifi extender on yugster.com for my house. anyone have any comments good or bad? is it worth the 16 bucks?

https://www.yugster.com/deals/68430-high-sp...tender-repeater

I have this one ($3 more):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E98O7G...DHRT7HKM524FWMS

Works pretty well. Sends out my wifi signal to the other side of my house and backyard/patio area. Easy set up too.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 16, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
i am eyeing a wifi extender on yugster.com for my house. anyone have any comments good or bad? is it worth the 16 bucks?

https://www.yugster.com/deals/68430-high-sp...tender-repeater

I just bought this one on Groupon for $42.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC750-Gigabi...s=Netgear+AC750

This was after my TP-Link powerline adapter experiment was a total failure. I was getting 0.06 Mbps on it.....seriously..... My old Cisco G-300 was giving me around 20 Mbps, which I can live with.

I need some advice:

I am looking to get a new laptop (Windows), I don't use it for gaming or anything big just surfing the web, watching movies/shows, school work, etc.. I want to get a new model computer that will run well with Windows 10. I would also like it to be touch screen if possible. Also would like one that is going still run fast and well even if there are multiple things going on at once. I would like to stay at $500 or less. My current screen size is 15.6 so I would like to stay in that range. Any suggestions?

I don't know a lot about specs with computers so any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by BigHurt3515

Anyone use a Nest? I have a cheap, $20 programmable Honeywell, but my wife just found that ComEd/Nicor has a $120 rebate if you buy a Nest. New ones are like $250. My wife likes the appeal (i.e. look and fancy functionality). Anyone with reviews? I'm not sure how much cost savings i'll get since we already have the house scheduled to increase/decrease temperature depending on if we're home and if we're asleep. The Nest seems to be a LITTLE more fluid than a strict schedule, but really other than the ability to change the temp on your phone, what's the appeal? Anything else?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 10:35 AM)
Anyone use a Nest? I have a cheap, $20 programmable Honeywell, but my wife just found that ComEd/Nicor has a $120 rebate if you buy a Nest. New ones are like $250. My wife likes the appeal (i.e. look and fancy functionality). Anyone with reviews? I'm not sure how much cost savings i'll get since we already have the house scheduled to increase/decrease temperature depending on if we're home and if we're asleep. The Nest seems to be a LITTLE more fluid than a strict schedule, but really other than the ability to change the temp on your phone, what's the appeal? Anything else?

I have one. You can certainly get the same functionality for cheaper. But it is very easy to program and control, and I bought it right after moving in when we felt like we had a lot of money for upgrades.

The app kind of sucks and I have trouble connecting it to wifi sometimes, but the thermostat before was such garbage we could not turn off hte programmable schedule and turn on the air when we were painting.

Overall 5/5 usability, 3/5 on its claims of changing temps when away. I have no idea why it doesn't find my wifi.