Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 5, 2011 -> 11:06 PM)
Yeah, tell me about it. Girls on Facebook saying "Thank you Steve Jobs! If it wasn't for you inventing the iPod, we would still be listening to CD players!".

Oh really? Because I am pretty sure Mp3 players were around well before Apple starting making them. I think she meant "Thanks for making this shiny device that I can buy as a status symbol and allowing me to purchase things purely based on brand name and nothing else. Shopping made easy!"

He did a lot, but he didn't do everything, and he certainly didn't do it alone. And him dying isn't going to cease the advancement of technology, I assure you.

Once in a while products come along that are actually not only brilliant in their design, and beautifully manufactured, but actually better than everything else on the market. It's a shame that some people do indeed look at Apple products as status symbols, but there is no denying that the iPod, iPhone, iPad, iMac, and Macbooks have been absolutely revolutionary in allowing the idiot computer/electronics user (such as myself), the ability to get far more utility and enjoyment out of these classes of devices than the portfolio of any other company on earth. Yes, there are some devices that do things better than some of the Apple devices, but overall, it's just not been a contest.

You can spew venom all you want, and I once did this too, about the iPod (until I actually bought one and realized how superior it was to my piece of s*** Samsung mp3 player), but it only makes you look utterly foolish and undermines your credibility.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 02:39 PM)
That's what you get for listening to the Vegetarian media.

It's really not their fault, he was quite the vegetable eater and outspoken about it. My friend, who worked for Apple in Cupertino for years, used to see him eating salads and fruit based stuff *all* the time, and he often spoke about green vegetables, so a lot of media figured he was a vegan or vegetarian. I probably wouldn't know what news story to believe, since so many reported different things about this over the years, if my friend didn't see him eating fish once in a while at the Apple campus cafe.

I think he later told people he eats dairy/fish, but like the HuffPo article, a lot of organizations try to run with whatever story furthers their cause. And anything PETA related...well, I dislike. :)

No offense to all the haters, but you probably wouldn't HAVE had a zune if not for the ipod. Windows is better because apples OSXs pushed it so hard. And, from what it sounds like, Mango will be a hell of a product, but it will be great because microsoft now values design more than they ever did in the 90s power years.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 6, 2011 -> 07:03 PM)
No offense to all the haters, but you probably wouldn't HAVE had a zune if not for the ipod. Windows is better because apples OSXs pushed it so hard. And, from what it sounds like, Mango will be a hell of a product, but it will be great because microsoft now values design more than they ever did in the 90s power years.

If I didn't have a Zune right now, I'd have some form of Creative Zen.

I have a Mac and an iPod.

I hate using the Mac though. I mean I can get by, but for me, my PC makes life easier.

iPod I can't hate on. It's an classic, because I just use it for music.

At the same time, Jobs helped innovate. Plus, anytime someone dies of something other than old age, it's sad.

But Wozniak's tweet was gold.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 7, 2011 -> 02:50 AM)
I have a Mac and an iPod.

I hate using the Mac though. I mean I can get by, but for me, my PC makes life easier.

iPod I can't hate on. It's an classic, because I just use it for music.

At the same time, Jobs helped innovate. Plus, anytime someone dies of something other than old age, it's sad.

But Wozniak's tweet was gold.

So then format your mac, and install Windows on it. Problem solved.

It's official: Sprint is changing from WiMax to LTE starting next year

At its strategy event today, Sprint finally went public with plans to "simplify its network" by converting its CDMA 1900MHz holdings and LightSquared's 1600MHZ spectrum ("pending FCC approval) to LTE, an industry favorite. Helping the operator make that transition is the swathe of 800MHz spectrum it reclaimed from the, now defunct, iDEN push-to-talk network -- which had been a drain on the company's resources. The company plans for a rapid deployment, with the first markets to hit in mid-2012 and the full rollout to complete in 2013. Current subscribers signed up for WiMAX plans won't have to worry as their devices will continue to be supported throughout 2012.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20...w-products.html

Despite knowing he was dying, Steve Jobs worked for more than a year on the products that he believed would safeguard the company's future.

It was also revealed today that Jobs fought hard to get plans approved for a spaceship-style company headquarters in California.

It will be big enough to hold 12,000 employees in a park-like setting near the existing base in Cupertino. He appeared at a town council meeting in June to plead for the planning go ahead.

Visionary: Steve Jobs introducing the iPad2 in San Francisco on March 2 this year

Visionary: Steve Jobs introducing the iPad2 in San Francisco on March 2 this year

Jobs had a part-time job working for Hewlett Packard at the site when he was 13 and he ensured Apple bought the land when it became available.

More...

A family grieves... the whole world mourns: Friends and relatives gather at Steve Jobs’s California mansion as shrines pop up across the globe

'I wasn't always there for them, and I wanted them to know why': Steve Jobs authorised biography so his children can know him

Steve Jobs's core of steel: Apple boss's brave cancer battle (and how his company kept it secret for so long)

Brilliant, yes, but he wasn't an Einstein

Will Apple lose its shine without the boss as it faces competition from Samsung and Amazon?

He has also been overseeing the development of the delayed iCloud project, which will allow Apple users to store their music, photos and other documents remotely and masterminding updated versions of the iPod, iPad, iPhone and MacBooks, ensuring at least four years’ worth of products are in the pipeline, according to Apple sources.

Pre-order sales of the first authorised biography of Steve Jobs increased by a staggering 44,000 per cent.

In memory: A tribute Apple logo created by Hong Kong student Jonathan Mak

In memory: A tribute Apple logo created by Hong Kong student Jonathan Mak

Much-loved: Fans leave condolence notes at the Apple store in San Francisco

Much-loved: Fans leave condolence notes at the Apple store in San Francisco

iSad: An admirer writes a message on a board in mourning of the death of Jobs outside an Apple store in Manila

iSad: An admirer writes a message on a board in mourning of the death of Jobs outside an Apple store in Manila

According to the official description, the book, out on October 24, is ‘based on more than 40 interviews with Jobs conducted over two years - as well as interviews with more than a hundred family members, friends, adversaries, competitors, and colleagues’.

Brand consultancy firm Interbrand predicted that Jobs death could actually boos the value of Apple by around $670million (£431million) from $33.5billion as fans make sympathy and impulse purchases.

Jobs died on Wednesday, aged 56, following a lengthy battle with pancreatic cancer.

Thoughtful: A man places an iPad displaying a picture of Jobs around candles forming the logo of Apple in southwestern China's Sichuan province

Thoughtful: A man places an iPad displaying a picture of Jobs around candles forming the logo of Apple in southwestern China's Sichuan province

Paying respects: Brandy Faulkner, a neighbour of Jobs, leaves flowers outside his home in Palo Alto, California

Paying respects: Brandy Faulkner, a neighbour of Jobs, leaves flowers outside his home in Palo Alto, California

Within minutes of his passing being confirmed, tributes had been paid by world leaders, the most famous technology bosses and fans throughout the world.

A day later, thousands continued to gather at shrines dedicated to Jobs from California to London, Sydney and Tokyo, Japan.

Well-wishers flocked to his home in California to leave flowers and cards, as his family mourned inside. Jobs is survived by a wife, a son and two daughters.

Devastated Apple staff, meanwhile, celebrated the life of their former boss with memorial services in his honour.

At Apple stores across the world and the company's headquarters, makeshift shrines quickly sprang up as Apple's legions of fans gathered together to remember the life of a man they revered as a hero.

Support: Steve Jobs leans his forehead against his wife Laurene after delivering the keynote address to the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in June

Support: Steve Jobs leans his forehead against his wife Laurene after delivering the keynote address to the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference in June

Apple's share price

'We are planning a celebration of Steve’s extraordinary life for Apple employees that will take place soon,' Apple chief executive Tim Cook said yesterday.

Global leaders from politics and business spoke out about how they had been inspired by the celebrated innovator.

Tributes, led by President Barack Obama, began pouring in within minutes of the company confirming Jobs's death.

'We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today,' read a statement by Apple's board of directors on Wednesday.

'Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.

'His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts.'

The homepage of Apple's website switched to a full-page image of Jobs with the text, 'Steve Jobs 1955-2011.'

Clicking on the image revealed the additional text: 'Apple has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being.

'Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Steve have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor.

'Steve leaves behind a company that only he could have built, and his spirit will forever be the foundation of Apple.'

His relatives also released a statement, which said he 'died peacefully, surrounded by his family.

'In his public life, Steve was known as a visionary; in his private life, he cherished his family. We are thankful to the many people who have shared their wishes and prayers during the last year of Steve's illness.'

Apple CEO Tim Cook announced the news of Jobs's death to Apple employees via e-mail, in which he said: 'I have some very sad news to share with all of you. Steve passed away earlier today.

'No words can adequately express our sadness at Steve’s death or our gratitude for the opportunity to work with him. We will honour his memory by dedicating ourselves to continuing the work he loved so much.'

Within minutes of his death being confirmed, tributes to Jobs began flooding the web, led by President Barack Obama, who tweeted: 'Rest in peace, Steve Jobs. From all of us at #Obama2012, thank you for the work you make possible every day - including ours.'

Mr Obama later gave a fuller statement, in which he praised Jobs as a 'visionary' who was 'bold enough to believe he could change the world, and talented enough to do it'.

'The world has lost a visionary,' he said. 'And there may be no greater tribute to Steve’s success than the fact that much of the world learned of his passing on a device he invented.

'Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to Steve’s wife Laurene, his family, and all those who loved him.'

He added: 'Steve was fond of saying that he lived every day like it was his last. Because he did, he transformed our lives, redefined entire industries, and achieved one of the rarest feats in human history: he changed the way each of us sees the world.'

Steve Jobs' high school friend who founded Apple with him in his parents' garage wiped away tears as he paid tribute to the visionary genius.

Steve Wozniak, who helped start Apple in 1976, said he will miss his fellow co-founder 'as much as everyone.'

'We've lost something we won't get back,' Mr Wozniak said. 'The way I see it, though, the way people love products he put so much into creating means he brought a lot of life to the world.'

Social media sites were inundated with tributes from fans, with one of the most popular messages being that three apples changed the world: ‘The One that Eve ate, the one that dropped on Newton’s head and the one that Steve built.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-20...l#ixzz1a75481hO

Saying they are delaying their phone launch out of respect for jobs seems like convenient cover. My bro works for nokia, he was trying mango and said it's amazing. I'm excited to see this. There's nothing bad that can happen from microsoft actually creating a non crappy product for once.