Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

I really want this Siri thing, especially now that they're passing all the hands-free cell phone laws for drivers. I really didn't see this coming...didn't think there would be anything that could make me want to pick up the new iPhone, but this is truly a feature that sets it apart.

I was skeptical about Siri, because my experience over the years using various implementations of it, the best I've seen was, under the greatest of conditions, mediocre in real world usage. But Siri, for lack of a better word, is seriously awesome. It let's you hold conversations and remembers how to put them in context...

For example, Call my Wife.

"Who is your wife?"

Her name is X

"I've matched that name to an entry in your address book, do you want me to remember that's your wife?"

Yes, and call her.

It then calls her, being able to put into context the "her" I was talking about was my wife.

Also cool -- "What's 18% of 173.82?", and having it answer...forget needing a "tip calculator" or doing "math". :D

You can also do things like, "Send a text to my wife saying that i'll be there in 15 minutes or so..." and it writes up the text and sends it.

And keep in mind, this is just a "beta"...and it's already more polished than ANY competitors final products I've seen.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 14, 2011 -> 11:37 AM)
I really want this Siri thing, especially now that they're passing all the hands-free cell phone laws for drivers. I really didn't see this coming...didn't think there would be anything that could make me want to pick up the new iPhone, but this is truly a feature that sets it apart.

From.....what the old iphones? Because other phones already use their own version of "Siri". It's not anything new that Apple is doing.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 04:26 PM)
I haven't seen anyone implement it quite like this.

I don't know if my brothers phone has the thing where you can hold a conversation w/ the phone, but he can ask it questions, say "Text Joe: What time is the game tonight?" and tell it other commands like to set alarms, play certain songs, and all that kind of stuff.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 06:35 PM)
Ok, so a pleasant surprise today, confirmed my contract with ATT is over. Soooo.... I think I am going to switch to Verizon. Any thoughts here? I can get the new iphone for somewhat cheap and supposedly better service right?

Are you particularly unhappy with AT&T's service? Verizon certainly has better coverage but the speeds aren't usually significantly different; on an iPhone, AT&T might well win slightly on that issue. Have you run into unusual trouble with AT&T because of where you live, or do you move outside their 3G network very often?

Also worth considering Sprint if you happen to be interested in an unlimited data plan, they are offering that on the 4S.

Personally I'd be a Verizon user if I had a choice, but that's because I know VZN gives me solid coverage in backcountry areas from experience, and because I hate AT&T's products in general. If you don't need backcountry coverage though, there are benefits to the others.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 05:44 PM)
Are you particularly unhappy with AT&T's service? Verizon certainly has better coverage but the speeds aren't usually significantly different; on an iPhone, AT&T might well win slightly on that issue. Have you run into unusual trouble with AT&T because of where you live, or do you move outside their 3G network very often?

Also worth considering Sprint if you happen to be interested in an unlimited data plan, they are offering that on the 4S.

Personally I'd be a Verizon user if I had a choice, but that's because I know VZN gives me solid coverage in backcountry areas from experience, and because I hate AT&T's products in general. If you don't need backcountry coverage though, there are benefits to the others.

I do get dropped calls, which I think is the norm. What makes me angry about ATT is that it can show full bars alot of the time, but you cannot make a damn phone call. Everyone who has verizon doesnt complain all that much, however I hear Sprint still sucks on the coverage/cust serv aspects.

I'm open for suggestions, I will be iphone regardless. Is it worth switching?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 06:49 PM)
I do get dropped calls, which I think is the norm. What makes me angry about ATT is that it can show full bars alot of the time, but you cannot make a damn phone call. Everyone who has verizon doesnt complain all that much, however I hear Sprint still sucks on the coverage/cust serv aspects.

I'm open for suggestions, I will be iphone regardless. Is it worth switching?

Take a look at the money would be my next suggestion.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 05:52 PM)
Take a look at the money would be my next suggestion.

Well, my company generally pays for this, plus I was going to get into a family plan so it would be cheaper regardless. I guess the unlimited data is cool with spring, VZW only gives you 12 gigs which seems like alot.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 06:54 PM)
Well, my company generally pays for this, plus I was going to get into a family plan so it would be cheaper regardless. I guess the unlimited data is cool with spring, VZW only gives you 12 gigs which seems like alot.

Really sounds like you're leaning towards VZN, I think they're 2 gb for the public, unless your company has a specific plan with them that has 12. Like I said, I'd be with VZN for the coverage map if my employer had a choice.

Anyway, more S*** Siri Says.

Q: Can you tell me a joke?

A: I don't really know any good jokes. None, in fact.

Q: Can you tell me a bad joke?

A: Two iPhones walk into a bar ... I forget the rest.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)

Just keep in mind, you'll lose the ability to use data and voice at the same time off of AT&T's network. Verizon and Sprint iPhones can only do one at a time...so if you use hands free a lot, you'll lose that ability.

AT&T's data is also way faster now that the iPhone 4s uses HSPA+, which is pretty fast for 3G networks. But yes, you'll have to deal with the higher rate of dropped calls...you won't have that issue on Verizon.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 05:12 PM)
I don't know if my brothers phone has the thing where you can hold a conversation w/ the phone, but he can ask it questions, say "Text Joe: What time is the game tonight?" and tell it other commands like to set alarms, play certain songs, and all that kind of stuff.

This implementation of Siri (or voice control, period) is by far the best thing I've seen, and it's accuracy is amazing in comparison to anything I've ever used or seen demonstrated to date. Do note, that Siri was a company/technology bought by Apple, and then implemented directly into iOS, so it's not just some various program running in the background, but deeply entwined into the OS itself. They've had an app out for a while, but it wasn't anything close to this.

A lot of voice control software has let you say things to set alarms, load programs, play songs, and that sort of thing, but they don't work well under most circumstances. Every time I've seen someone try to "show off" their ultra cool voice recognition technology, they've had to do it under perfect circumstances, with little to no background noise, etc. Then, it gets funny watching them issue commands it doesn't understand 10 times, or it fails to do what they requested, and then they say, "well it was working perfectly for me earlier". Like, "Call Jeff...", and it says, "Calling Julie". Or, even better, when it says, did you mean, "George Mokrisky", which sounds nothing remotely close to "Jeff".

So yes, there is other voice recognition tech out there, but it all pretty much sucked in real world use.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 18, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)
Just keep in mind, you'll lose the ability to use data and voice at the same time off of AT&T's network. Verizon and Sprint iPhones can only do one at a time...so if you use hands free a lot, you'll lose that ability.

AT&T's data is also way faster now that the iPhone 4s uses HSPA+, which is pretty fast for 3G networks. But yes, you'll have to deal with the higher rate of dropped calls...you won't have that issue on Verizon.

Yeah I hear ya, I was hoping that having my ipad with me on the road I could get around this issue. Having more call reliability is pretty big at this point.