Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 07:31 AM)
ipad 2 Q. I'm oblivious, so don't laugh, but do you have to pay for the 3G network? I don't think I would need it with wifi in my house but was curious.

If you already have an iPhone with a 3G plan, can you apply it to that?

You have to start a data plan if you want 3G. It's $20 or 30 a month, and I believe they allow you to cancel at any time.

What you can do is just use your WiFi signal and download anything you need before you leave, such as movies, books, etc., and then just use your phone if you really need to check someone on the internet or see an email, etc.

I didn't see the need to have redundancy since I always carry my phone with me. I just try to anticipate when I will want something on my iPad before I take it somewhere where there will not be a WiFi signal available.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
You have to start a data plan if you want 3G. It's $20 or 30 a month, and I believe they allow you to cancel at any time.

What you can do is just use your WiFi signal and download anything you need before you leave, such as movies, books, etc., and then just use your phone if you really need to check someone on the internet or see an email, etc.

I didn't see the need to have redundancy since I always carry my phone with me. I just try to anticipate when I will want someone on my iPad before I take it somewhere where there will not be a WiFi signal available.

Right, I also use my iphone as a hot spot if I really need connection.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)
Anyone have a Kindle Fire? The wife wants one for X-Mas, and I want to ensure they aren't piles of trash.

I have one in a box sitting on my counter ready to get wrapped. What does you wife want to do with it? I demoed one and it pretty much does basic crap. Its also very small and portable

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)
Anyone have a Kindle Fire? The wife wants one for X-Mas, and I want to ensure they aren't piles of trash.

I haven't really seen anything positive for it, beside that it does help you shop for amazon products easier.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 03:31 PM)

My wife loves it so far. She keeps on saying "Oh, I didn't know it could do that!" She uses it to check email, visit facebook, do basic web browsing, read books, play some basic games, and view movies. I enjoy playing around with it too when I am able to get my hands on it.

I'm working on getting all of our DVDs into mp4 format and will put those onto a Wifi enabled disk drive (There is a 500 GB one from Seagate that has a battery which lasts 5 hours, and there is also a 32 GB SSD one from Kingston). Then, we will be able to take that with us and stream any of our movies onto the Fire while we are flying or traveling anywhere. This is actually the same route that people are going with getting around the space limitations of the iPad.

Most of the negative reviews I have seen are from people who think it should be an iPad. It is not an iPad. It is a $200 tablet that does certain things well as opposed to the $600 tablet that does a lot more but at 3X the price.

Finally decided I couldn't wait for a Samsung Windows Phone 7 model from Verizon anymore and just got their HTC Trophy. Windows Phone 7 is the best thing that has happened to me (cell phone-wise) since I first owned one. Can't stress that enough. Such an amazing OS. I really hope it catches on a bit more just enough for carriers to continue bringing in new models with WP7 with at least half the regularity of new Android models.

I've only ever owned Samsung phones, and I'm pretty impressed with the HTC as well.

Well this lasted long...

Full article link: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,23977...gle+Feedfetcher

At the Google I/O conference in May, many Android phone vendors and U.S. wireless carriers made a long-awaited promise: From then on, any new Android phone would receive timely OS updates for at least 18 months following launch, as part of the then newly christened Google Update Alliance.

So seven months in, we thought we'd circle back and ask all those vendors an important question: How's it going? Here's what they had to say—and unfortunately, it's not at all good:

Motorola: "We are planning to upgrade Droid Razr Motorola Razr, Motorola Xoom (including Family Edition) and Droid Bionic by Motorola to Ice Cream Sandwich. As we add other devices to this list, we'll be sure to keep you in the loop." They ignored our specific question about the Photon 4G, the Atrix 2, the Droid 3, the Droid X2, and the Admiral, and our follow-up question that if not, how Motorola would reconcile this with the pledge it made back in May.

Samsung: "After reviewing various factors such as system requirements, platform limitations, and partner-related issues, we will consider upgrading Galaxy devices to Ice Cream Sandwich. Specific upgrade plans will be communicated separately. Samsung will stay committed to responsibility for its customers as much as possible." Our question about the Samsung Captivate Glide, the Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, the Samsung Conquer 4G, and the Samsung Exhibit 4G was ignored, as was our follow-up question about the company keeping its Google I/O pledge.

Sprint: "Sprint will begin to rollout Google's latest version of Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, to our customers in early 2012. Ice Cream Sandwich will be available via an over-the-air update to a variety of devices, including HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO Design 4G and other key products in our line-up. Please stay tuned for more details and exact timing." Our question about the Motorola Photon 4G, the LG Marquee, and the Samsung Conquer 4G was ignored, as was (you guessed it) our follow-up question about holding to the Google I/O pledge.

T-Mobile: We asked T-Mobile about the myTouch 4G, myTouch Q, LG DoublePlay, and Samsung Galaxy S II. "T-Mobile is coordinating with Google to deliver Android 4.0. While we don't have any information to share regarding the devices you noted ... we'll let you know when we have more details to share," a spokesperson said in response, but T-Mobile did not mention anything about Google I/O, either.

Verizon Wireless: A spokesperson confirmed two existing upgrade announcements for the HTC Rezound and the Droid RAZR, but couldn't release any more information at this time. Our questions about the Samsung Stratosphere, the Motorola Droid 3, the LG Revolution, and the HTC Droid Incredible 2, and the Google I/O pledge in general all went unanswered.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
Well this lasted long...

Full article link: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,23977...gle+Feedfetcher

I dont know if the details of the 18-month update agreement were ever made public. It MIGHT only apply to devices that came with 3.0 or 4.0. Not sure. The agreement might not apply to devices with older OSes.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
What's stopping you from doing it?

I don't know why anyone would own an Android device and not root and put CyanogenMod on it...

If hacking isn't your thing, I recommend iPhones, if it is, I'd definitely side with Android.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
How much will the iPad 2 price go down when 3 comes out in Feb? Predictions?

I wonder as more and more versions come out how long they will keep the older versions out. For instance, you cannot buy an original iPad from Apple anymore, can you? However, you can still buy an iPhone 3GS. So one would think they would start keeping older versions of the iPad around a bit, and decreasing the cost.

My guess would be $199, $249 and $299 pricepoints, perhaps?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
I wonder as more and more versions come out how long they will keep the older versions out. For instance, you cannot buy an original iPad from Apple anymore, can you? However, you can still buy an iPhone 3GS. So one would think they would start keeping older versions of the iPad around a bit, and decreasing the cost.

My guess would be $199, $249 and $299 pricepoints, perhaps?

The production will shut off for IPad2. When they're out, they're out, I'm sure.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 08:42 AM)
As I long hopped would happen, the AT&T / T-Mobile merger is DEAD!!!

While it's a good thing that this merger died, it remains to be seen what happens with TMobile now, since the company that owns it doesn't want to run it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
While it's a good thing that this merger died, it remains to be seen what happens with TMobile now, since the company that owns it doesn't want to run it.

Yea. See, I am conflicted. I am a recent switcher to T-Mobile. i think they have the most competitive data rates of the big 4. I was "ok" if they were sold to ATT, but then there were rumors that ATT might try and sell of T-Mobile customers to Leap Wireless, then I got pissed. So, in the end, I am happy. Not sure of my carriers future (Google? Apple?), but in the short term, I am happy.

I am very curious about the roaming agreement the two companies signed. THere's no details on that yet. But, T-Mobile has no coverage in IA, where my wife's family is. They have a Voice/TXT partnership agreement with iWireless. BUT, if this new ATT/T-Mobile agree gets me non-roaming data in IA, I am a very happy man.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000