Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
Speaking of HTC, a man was shot in the chest while his HTC Evo in his breastfeeding pocket. It stopped the bullet; the man didn't realize for a second that he'd been hit. HTC heard about it and sent him a One and some other goodies. No link as I am on mobile.

EDIT: and by breastfeeding pocket, I mean breast. Autocorrected...

Autocorrect wins, breastfeeding pocket is now forever what I shall call them.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 07:28 PM)
No, he wasn't.

There was a time these cases were real, and actually went to court. And there was no upside to going to court. If you went, and won, you'd end up owing about 3250 in lawyer/court costs (more than what they asked to settle), and in the off chance you lost, you'd be losing even more. It wasn't until a few years later the courts started striking these suits down and they became easily defendable.

IIRC, this was when they were living on 36th Lowe -- which would make it around 1998.

I believe O.J. Simpson got busted for this.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 30, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
I hope you all realize the entire last 4 pages or so happened because a few people decided to s*** on me for no reason for saying I thought the IR blaster in my phone was cool. Never said my phone invented the technology, never said it is the only phone to do it, and never said a damn thing about iPhones not being able to do it (which I had no idea if they could or couldn't, because I couldn't care less either way). Just said I thought it was cool.

Basically what I've learned here is I need to be super jaded about technology and not be impressed by anything, because god forbid someone else has used this technology before me, I will be criticized for being out of date and easily impressed and thought of as a kid.

Duly noted.

I think people shat on you for disrupting a college class that a lot of people pay a lot of money for - and thinking that people thought your old technology was mind-blowing.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
I think people shat on you for disrupting a college class that a lot of people pay a lot of money for - and thinking that people thought your old technology was mind-blowing.

:hawk:

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 02:16 PM)
Congrats! Go with the black or white?

Black 32 GB. I first went with white, then I realized the earpiece was white on the white version, which doesn't really match up with the black front.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
So finally filing a claim about my cracked Iphone 5 and since its discontinued I can only be given the 5c as a replacement. Kind of f***ed up if you ask me. I dont want a lime green phone.

They don't have refurb-repair models left?

Usually, they have a ton of those.

Aside from it being colorful, the 5c is actually a better phone. Has a better front camera, and larger battery.

Did you use AppleCare+ to do this?

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
So finally filing a claim about my cracked Iphone 5 and since its discontinued I can only be given the 5c as a replacement. Kind of f***ed up if you ask me. I dont want a lime green phone.

That sucks.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
They don't have refurb-repair models left?

Usually, they have a ton of those.

Aside from it being colorful, the 5c is actually a better phone. Has a better front camera, and larger battery.

Did you use AppleCare+ to do this?

Verizon-> Asurion

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
Verizon-> Asurion

Ah ok, I have AppleCare+ on my 5, was wondering ... last time I had a discontinued model and had it replaced, they replaced it with the same model, despite it being discontinued.

I'd actually consider breaking my 5 on purpose if I knew I could get a 5c...I got my wife one, and aside from it being colorful, I really like how it feels. I'm waiting for the 6 to upgrade my 5, though.

Edited by Y2HH

I got the black 16GB. As a poor grad student with a crappy job and unpaid internship, had to limit myself at under $400.

Also ordered a Diztronic case...waiting for Clarivue to make a screen protector for it. Got the Spigen screen protectors to hold me over in the meantime, along with a white Ringke case in case I ever wish I woulda gotten the white one.

I just couldn't wait to see when Amazon got it. I need it now since my Galaxy Nexus is dying and didn't wanna risk waiting a long time.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 31, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
I got the black 16GB. As a poor grad student with a crappy job and unpaid internship, had to limit myself at under $400.

Also ordered a Diztronic case...waiting for Clarivue to make a screen protector for it. Got the Spigen screen protectors to hold me over in the meantime, along with a white Ringke case in case I ever wish I woulda gotten the white one.

I just couldn't wait to see when Amazon got it. I need it now since my Galaxy Nexus is dying and didn't wanna risk waiting a long time.

I got the SGP Neo Hybrid case off Amazon. I'm contemplating a screen protector, but I'll have to wait and see.

Surprisingly, my GN never scratched, but my Nexus 4 screen had a deep scratch on it from what seemed to be nothing.

Knew this was coming eventually, was hoping major reforms were in place before it would come to this...

Rockstar (Microsoft/Apple/Sony/RIM/Ericsson) launch nuclear patent attack on Google/Android using the dangerous LTE/4G/Search patent portfolio they bought as a consortium off of Nortel for almost 5 billion dollars.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/10...ar-sues-google/

Edited by Y2HH