Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
I'm still upset about the lack up chromecast updates. Right now it's basically a google centered device with Netflix and Hulu. Where's my HBOGo? Where's my chrome browser casting ability for phones/tablets?

HBO Go will be supported real soon. Like maybe this week. It showed up as supported on the Chromecast page yesterday.

Source: http://www.droid-life.com/2013/11/13/hbo-g...e-support-page/

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
Lovin' my Nexus 5. Soo smooth and nice and clear. Got a battery pack charger for heavy use days.

Also have a Nokia wireless charger that I use for both the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7

Should I be a google fanboy and get a chromecast too? I think it's still $30 for those that signed up for the Best Buy student program. Worth it? I dunno, though. I know it won't be as good as my Roku...

I also have the same wireless charger, works flawlessly with those two Nexus devices. It never worked for me for my Nexus 4 though.

Chromecast is awesome cause it's so cheap. Support is coming for a lot of apps, so in about 6 months, I'd predict that it'd be just as good as Roku when it comes to essential services.

Plus, the ability to stream from Chrome on my desktop or laptop means I can stream any local movie over it as well (Chrome plays local videos).

Edited by chw42

HTC One Google Play Edition will get Android 4.4 in a matter of days.

It's a good thing that Android is no longer as fragmented as it was before. Google now has a tighter grasp on updates with Google Play Edition phones and the Moto X/G line.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 06:29 PM)
HTC One Google Play Edition will get Android 4.4 in a matter of days.

It's a good thing that Android is no longer as fragmented as it was before. Google now has a tighter grasp on updates with Google Play Edition phones and the Moto X/G line.

And by releasing a lot of their updates through the Play Store via their apps

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 08:12 PM)
Really enjoying Hangouts w/ SMS. Nice, snappy interface. Will be even better in 4.4, when it (and other third party texting clients) are even more integrated into the OS

Sliding Messaging Pro is just like it. I would use it, except MMS doesn't work on it for some reason.

I wish Hangouts would put your messages with the same contacts in one thread as opposed to separate ones though.

Yeah I don't use Hangouts to chat with people since most of my (small amount of) IM occurs via Facebook. I have to think that the integration of SMS/IM will come at some point. I've heard of some people having issues with MMS/Group messaging, but luckily that hasn't been the case for me; of course, I had to wait a bit longer than a lot of users to get the update through the Play Store. I had sideloaded the Nexus 5 build and it wasn't working well at all on my One. The Play Store version is working perfectly. Patience is clearly the key

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 16, 2013 -> 08:39 PM)
Yeah I don't use Hangouts to chat with people since most of my (small amount of) IM occurs via Facebook. I have to think that the integration of SMS/IM will come at some point. I've heard of some people having issues with MMS/Group messaging, but luckily that hasn't been the case for me; of course, I had to wait a bit longer than a lot of users to get the update through the Play Store. I had sideloaded the Nexus 5 build and it wasn't working well at all on my One. The Play Store version is working perfectly. Patience is clearly the key

I got a few of my friends to use Hangouts, so having all messages threaded would make it look a hell of a lot cleaner.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 18, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
I didnt have one directv weather issue during the Bears game yesterday. I expected it, it certainly was storming in my area.

I still cant believe it, not even one little pixelation blip.

I had some for a few minutes, just switched to SD. Came back real quick.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 07:12 PM)
Best laptop running windows? Is it still Lenovo?

I like Lenovo. Seems like everyone you run into has a really strong negative opinion about one of the manufacturers, so it's always really difficult to tell. I try to evaluate on a product by product basis, depending on what I'm looking for.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 19, 2013 -> 08:14 PM)
I like Lenovo. Seems like everyone you run into has a really strong negative opinion about one of the manufacturers, so it's always really difficult to tell. I try to evaluate on a product by product basis, depending on what I'm looking for.

Lenovo is that manufacturer for me, lasted 1.5 years before dying.

Alright, I figure I'll throw this out there to see what people think. I'm looking for any ideas...

My current laptop is around 5 years old, and the hamsters are getting tired. Need to start looking at a new machine. But, I am seriously considering doing something different and more distributed. My ideal solution looks something like this:

+Base Computer, resides in office, used for working from home or any long-term computing tasks. Want it to hold everything we have. Windows machine, Office, the usual stuff.

+Mobile/tablet/iPad like device to use everywhere else. One with the ability to do the following:

--Something around the size of a standard iPad

--Attach a keyboard (this is key, I can't type for long periods of time on something like a small screen)

--Play movies not just by streaming, but from an actual disc (either connecting to seperate drive, or built in drive)

--Able to run full Office suite, Quicken, and the usual windows stuff (browser, etc)

--Wi-Fi of course, but no need for cellular

--Ability to easily sync certain things like iTunes libraries and specific documents/folders to/from the main computer

So... what are my options here? That last point, and the ability to play movies that are not streamed, are probably the biggest issues. Anyone know of a solution for all the above? I'm picturing an old school PC for the office with a couple monitors, which I use like a network (but also as a PC itself), and the mobile device connects with it as needed, both locally and at a distance.

Am I looking for the impossible?