Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 01:13 PM)
I think the physical media drive is going to be a nonstarter in the tablet arena. Even if you hook up a portable drive via a USB connection, I bet that'd kill your battery life. What's the hesitation to going to digital? Just the fact that you already have the DVD's?

Primarily, yes. I have probably between 100 and 200 movies on various DVD's and BluRays. First hesitation is, can I even get them digitized onto a drive, in such a way they will actually play and not have a protection issue (some discs have this I think)? Second issue is, movies are huge files, and I'd only be able to put maybe one on a tablet type device, I think.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)
Primarily, yes. I have probably between 100 and 200 movies on various DVD's and BluRays. First hesitation is, can I even get them digitized onto a drive, in such a way they will actually play and not have a protection issue (some discs have this I think)? Second issue is, movies are huge files, and I'd only be able to put maybe one on a tablet type device, I think.

I'd bet that most of the movies you could copy into digital form without an issue. The problem is that you'd have to spend time doing it. I think Y2HH or someone else in this thread a while ago posted a whole process on how to do it. You'd be able to get more than one movie on there though. Probably 5-10 and more if you get a tablet with a memory card slot.

I have the Asus Infinity with a bluetooth keyboard. It's enough to get some work done, but it doesn't run any office products or windows products. And it's android so it's not going to run itunes. But as a websurfing, media playing, email checking and limited work device it's pretty good. It also has a mini or micro SD slot so you can expand the memory on it.

My dad has one of these Acer Iconia tablets http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NT.L0QAA.008 He seems to like it. It's basically a tablet with some laptop functionality. You can keep it in tablet mode or switch over to a typical desktop mode. At that price point though I think I'd rather just get a decent laptop.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

OK, doing some math... I could easily fit my full collection of movies on a 2TB drive, maybe even 1TB but probably a little higher. So having a base computer, I can get everything I have on there plus my movies.

Question is... will they be playable, or copy protected in some way? And, can I stream them to a tablet or the like FROM there?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 02:29 PM)
OK, doing some math... I could easily fit my full collection of movies on a 2TB drive, maybe even 1TB but probably a little higher. So having a base computer, I can get everything I have on there plus my movies.

Question is... will they be playable, or copy protected in some way? And, can I stream them to a tablet or the like FROM there?

You could probably put them in cloud storage, but then you'd have to buy a tablet with a data plan to get them "on the go."

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 02:11 PM)

You can, easily, but it's time consuming.

And yes, after you have it done, they are simply mp4 movies set to whatever quality you ripped them as.

You can use Handbreak and VLC to rip/decrypt dvd's and blurays.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
You could probably put them in cloud storage, but then you'd have to buy a tablet with a data plan to get them "on the go."

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
You can, easily, but it's time consuming.

And yes, after you have it done, they are simply mp4 movies set to whatever quality you ripped them as.

You can use Handbreak and VLC to rip/decrypt dvd's and blurays.

Thanks.

When I say "on the go", all I'd really need is to download a couple movies at a time from the PC/server to the tablet/iPad/thingy at home, so that it is on the mobile device with me. Not exactly streaming, more just file copying.

I'd suggest you look at ASUS Transformer tablets. They are all solid tablets and have dockable keyboards with trackpads that serve a variety of functions. I have a TF300, which would qualify as a bit outdated at this point, but I love the thing and have used it as a surrogate computer on many occasion as well as using it for more tablet-y functions (in my case, I use it to read through PDF documents a lot). Mine has 9 hours of running battery life which cranks up to around 14-16 if it is in the dock, which extends the battery. The dock has a USB port (no idea if it would have compatibility w/ a disc reader), expandable storage, and some other fun stuff. I should mention that in practice, the battery lasts me 3-4 days in practice since it hibernates throughout most of the day when I'm not using it.

Their line has gotten even better since then. The TF700 is a more spec'd out version with a little more premium build quality: http://www.asus.com/us/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS...rmer_Pad_TF700T

TF701 is a beastly update to the TF700, with an unfathomably good display and the first (to my knowledge) tablet to have a dedicated graphics card. Would be awesome for watching movies and such. http://www.asus.com/us/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS...mer_Pad_TF701T/

There is also the VivoTab series, which will look somewhat similar but run the different Windows Mobile OS's/Windows 8. If you have specific software needs, this might be more applicable.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 20, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)

I have a bunch of external hard drives but they also have these cool on the go cloud storage devices that you can pack up and access with wifi or BT with tablet or laptop. Pretty cool if you ask me.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 10:16 AM)
Anyone want to advise me on how to get my info off of this MacBook? I'm selling it and the info on Apple's website hasn't been helpful.

After you copied everything off?

I know with a windows machine, what I did was break out the old OS disk, and reinstall the operating system. Doing so rebuilds the partition, and wipes everything out.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 10:16 AM)
Anyone want to advise me on how to get my info off of this MacBook? I'm selling it and the info on Apple's website hasn't been helpful.

1) Back up any data you need for yourself on a backup disk or burn it to a DVD/CD.

2) Go here: http://liondiskmaker.com/ and download Diskmaker X (you will need the 4+gig install file for Lion/Mountain Lion or Mavericks on your Mac).

3) Create a bootable install "disc" on a USB key large enough to fit the OSX version you choose (or a DVD if you don't have a USB key large enough.)

4) Put in this USB/DVD install, reboot and hold down the option key when it's booting up, select that boot disk/usb key and reformat/reinstall the OS.

5) Sell it.

Alright guys I need some advice/feedback.

I am getting a tablet for Christmas and I am trying to decide between two tablets:

1) Amazon Kindle Fire HDX 8'9

2) Nexus 7

I have read a lot of things and Nexus has great reviews and you can customize more and probably do more things with it but the Kindle Fire has a bigger screen and also has good reviews but is just limited more..

So anyone have any experiences with these?

Or should I be looking at other tablets?? I don't want to go more then $350 price and I don't want an Apple product

Edited by BigHurt3515

Well, I suppose part of the question is how you want to use it. For me, I wouldn't really consider the Kindles due to the limitations of their software. If you're just reading and streaming video, basic things, maybe the screen size is going to matter more.

Well, I suppose part of the question is how you want to use it. For me, I wouldn't really consider the Kindles due to the limitations of their software. If you're just reading and streaming video, basic things, maybe the screen size is going to matter more.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)

I have never had a tablet before so not really sure everything you can do with them. I am going to be watching videos on them and surf the web, and also games. I am a student too but only for one more year so I am not sure if I will have much use for it in that area.

With the 7 inch I feel like it will be the same thing has my phone just a few inches bigger.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 11:42 PM)
I have never had a tablet before so not really sure everything you can do with them. I am going to be watching videos on them and surf the web, and also games. I am a student too but only for one more year so I am not sure if I will have much use for it in that area.

With the 7 inch I feel like it will be the same thing has my phone just a few inches bigger.

You are a student? Nexus. Kindle fire isn't for you.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 21, 2013 -> 11:46 PM)
Yep, going into the final semester of my junior year. That is what I am leaning towards. Seems like it is the best tablet for the price out there right now unless there is one i don't know about

Costco has a lot of deals on samsung tabs. You can return those at almost any time too. I like them a ton.