Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 01:27 AM)
The current one is going to be discounted and that thing is an absolute beast. I do hate that Samsung design, though. I can't understand why they make all of their products look like cheap children's gadgets. The new Note 10 is a step in the right direction.

Nexus 7 or 10 (from last year).. I wonder when the Nexus 10 will be discounted.

I know it's kind of a dying product, but has anyone bought a camcorder recently? This will be my 16 month old son's 2nd christmas, but first real one where he may know what's going on (at least to the extent that there's something inside a box he needs to unwrap). So, my wife and I are looking into a camcorder of some type. We've been using our phones and/or tablet but they don't have the memory (or the right set up really) to leave on for an hour while we unwrap gifts. And it's kind of annoying having videos on three different devices.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 26, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
I know it's kind of a dying product, but has anyone bought a camcorder recently? This will be my 16 month old son's 2nd christmas, but first real one where he may know what's going on (at least to the extent that there's something inside a box he needs to unwrap). So, my wife and I are looking into a camcorder of some type. We've been using our phones and/or tablet but they don't have the memory (or the right set up really) to leave on for an hour while we unwrap gifts. And it's kind of annoying having videos on three different devices.

These are nice...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-HX-WA2-Wat...=pd_sim_sbs_p_4

Run off memory cards, HD with a lot of zoom, small/light and water proof. :D

Sirius offering me a deal where I can get a car radio for free with a paid year subscription which I want to get for my dad, but they said the year would start when I placed my order, which means I'd lose a month.

Gonna call and ask another rep.

Edited by Brian

Purchased a Lenovo A720 AIO desktop. i5 Ivy Bridge dual core 2.5GHz, 1 GB NVIDIA GPU, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB 5400 RPM HDD, Blu-Ray, HDMI in/out, beautiful design, nice 27" 1920x1080 multi-touch monitor with sweet adjustability. The main issue with it was that the specs weren't good enough to justify the price, but I got it for $700. Usually that is getting you Pentium processors.

lenovo_a720_04-8591471.jpglenovo-a720-architects.jpg

Edited by Jake

The hard drive on my HP laptop seems to be going out. I'm hoping it hangs on long enough for the new drive to arrive on Tuesday. I haven't swapped out a drive on a laptop before, this should be fun. With Dropbox, Google Drive, and Evernote all of my documents and stuff are already backed up and safe.

Also T-Mo rolled out 4.3 for my Galaxy 4 so I've had a busy techno-Thanksgiving.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 30, 2013 -> 03:34 PM)
Ended up getting a Samsung PN51F5300 yesterday from Best Buy. Couldn't pass up on the price.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/PN51F5300AFXZA

Wish they made this set in a 55", but the 51" is a great size for the room its in, and 60" would have been obnoxiously large.

I hope you got that for $399.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 1, 2013 -> 09:24 AM)
What a great time to be in the market for a new smartphone. So many ridiculous deals this weekend.

Sqwert, how often do you buy a new smartphone? It seems like you're ALWAYS in the market for a new smartphone. ;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 1, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
Sqwert, how often do you buy a new smartphone? It seems like you're ALWAYS in the market for a new smartphone. ;)

I'm not in the market for one. I'm jealous of those who have contracts that are up. :)

My last contract was expired for a few months before I bought a new device. If I could have waited longer I would have but my last phone was barely usable.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 01:54 AM)
Pretty uneducated on this stuff, so I'm seeking some advice, on a 46" LED TV how crucial is the 60Hz/120Hz difference, particularly with sports/Blu-Ray/gaming?

Plasma is your best option for sports and gaming. It has the highest refresh rate for motion. Cons are increased likelihood for glare and heat given off by the TV. If it's in a big open room, it won't be an issue. Having a plasma in my bedroom, however, makes for a very toasty room in the summer.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 29, 2013 -> 01:36 AM)
Purchased a Lenovo A720 AIO desktop. i5 Ivy Bridge dual core 2.5GHz, 1 GB NVIDIA GPU, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB 5400 RPM HDD, Blu-Ray, HDMI in/out, beautiful design, nice 27" 1920x1080 multi-touch monitor with sweet adjustability. The main issue with it was that the specs weren't good enough to justify the price, but I got it for $700. Usually that is getting you Pentium processors.

lenovo_a720_04-8591471.jpglenovo-a720-architects.jpg

That processor is kinda weak.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Dec 1, 2013 -> 11:54 PM)
Pretty uneducated on this stuff, so I'm seeking some advice, on a 46" LED TV how crucial is the 60Hz/120Hz difference, particularly with sports/Blu-Ray/gaming?

It depends on the TV you get.

I've gamed on some 120 Hz TVs and it was awful due to the stupid motion effect they use. It was almost like it had input lag sometimes. I've also gamed on other 120 Hz TVs and it was awesome.

I own a 120 Hz TV, but I honestly can't tell the difference between it and a 60 Hz TV (reviews have said this about my TV).

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 1, 2013 -> 07:10 PM)
The length of the product cycles makes me want to kill myself. My HTC One is already considered outdated and it has aged better than all the other models that came out at that time.

Well the HTC One is almost a year old. :P

But yeah, in the mobile landscape, your phone can go from awesome to decent in like 6 months.

I'm debating whether to surprise my wife with a laptop this year for christmas. I like the HP Envy series and Sams Club has a pretty good cyber week deal - 15.6 inch touchscreen, backlit keyboard, 4th gen i7 processor, 8gb of ram, 750 gb hard drive for $699. It's the cheapest 4th gen i7 touchscreen with more than 4gbs of ram by $150-200.

I like everything about it and the price except for the "HD" screen. It's not true HD, it's only 1366 x 768. Not sure if it's worth spending so much extra money for true HD resolution for an "around the house" (web surfing, photo/video viewing/minimal editing, word processing, email, etc) laptop.