Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 11:02 AM)
Sold 5 already. Keeping one. Just got one more to get rid of, or keep. Fine with either. Actually trying to get one more that Amazon screwed up on.

Sold them to who?

Please tell me you aren't profiteering off of friends and family.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
Samsung is the king of bloatware. I've been actively avoiding their stuff because their UI is slow and the design is yucky. Nexus 5 is literally zero bloatware and can have nice resale value, especially when they randomly go out of stock in the Play Store. S4 has some really cool features though and is in general a top-notch device, not trying to say you screwed up

Everything i've read pointed me to the Samsung over S4 too. I also won't pay for a phone. I can't get the Nexus for free (although I could get it for like 29 bucks so close to it). I refuse to pay for a phone.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 2, 2013 -> 09:56 PM)
And yeah, I love that I can make my phone work exactly the way I want it to. Change for the sake of change is okay, but the beauty of it is that it actually functions for me. My workflow is all about the customizations I've made on my Android devices.

Also, it is really immature at this point, but Windows is taking notes from Apple and really unifying their OS across devices. I really like the direction they are going -- at this point, they are just in dire need of app development over anything else. They have their stuff on some really great hardware, their UI is unique, attractive, and functional, and the company has been acting like they really want to do things differently. I sent in a "complaint" about a bug in an app and they emailed me back telling me that their developers were part of the way done in patching it and that they appreciated the input

A good phone should have that base for everyone and then allow the root feature for full customization for the small percentage of the population that want all that s***.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 10:06 AM)
I had a change of heart on my computer, based in part on the fact that my shipping was delayed indefinitely, so I suspect they may be out of stock.

So now...for $1400 I get the next year's model, the A730

i7-4700MQ processor 2.40 GHz 6MB cache

8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT745M 2GB GPU

27" AIO QHD Multi-Touch 2560x1440 monitor

1TB 5400 RPM HDD

Blu-Ray drive

The HDD is the only thing holding it back from being a "perfect" computer IMO

At $1400, you might as well build your own computer. That setup you have might cost you $1000 + whatever it costs for the monitor (won't be touch screen though).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
A good phone should have that base for everyone and then allow the root feature for full customization for the small percentage of the population that want all that s***.

You can disable those Samsung apps from the Apps page in Settings (assuming Samsung didn't take that ability away). You need root to get rid of them for good (since they're system apps), but you can disable them and they won't ever run or show up in your app drawer.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
Everything i've read pointed me to the Samsung over S4 too. I also won't pay for a phone. I can't get the Nexus for free (although I could get it for like 29 bucks so close to it). I refuse to pay for a phone.

You're paying for your phone right now, probably at least $20 a month. The carrier subsidizes your phones and then charges you for them on a month to month basis through their plans.

T-Mobile is the only company that's actually making that transparent to the customer at this point, which is why their service is generally cheaper by $20-30.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 10:09 AM)
Nice I have a similar one. Make sure you surf the internet for the config specs. I had to make a lot of tweaks before I got it the way I wanted.

Just go over to avs forum and search your model number.first thing I did.they've got free calibration DVD's you can download and burn as well.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
Just go over to avs forum and search your model number.first thing I did.they've got free calibration DVD's you can download and burn as well.

Thats what I ended up using for this one as well. Their calibration on my plasma was second to none.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 06:10 PM)
Sold them to who?

Please tell me you aren't profiteering off of friends and family.

I sell to them a lot, but no I don't take profit from them. If I resell over the internet I do. I wasn't going to charge Rock extra either if I had his tv but I do not.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
At $1400, you might as well build your own computer. That setup you have might cost you $1000 + whatever it costs for the monitor (won't be touch screen though).

I thought about doing that. At this point, I have so much stuff going on that I can't really dick around with building a computer. I also value the touch screen quite a bit, as well as not having a tower. The low imprint is a big bonus for me as I expect to be living in shared spaces for the immediate future. I ended up paying quite a bit more to get the higher resolution (the other choice being 1920x1080), since I felt like poor resolution was something that would likely lead to me wanting to replace it.

The main alternative would have been an iMac, but for 27" it was quite a bit more for not as much/similar specs (7200 RPM HDD on iMac, but a fast i5 instead of i7, 1GB GPU vs 2GB GPU on the Lenovo, same RAM, no touch screen but similar resolution)

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
You're paying for your phone right now, probably at least $20 a month. The carrier subsidizes your phones and then charges you for them on a month to month basis through their plans.

T-Mobile is the only company that's actually making that transparent to the customer at this point, which is why their service is generally cheaper by $20-30.

I might be but my plan with a fun is the same price as a new t mobile plan. Plus if I bought a fun I'd pay the extra 20 you claim per month and then another 200 for a lot of the phones. Not worth it to me.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
I sell to them a lot, but no I don't take profit from them. If I resell over the internet I do. I wasn't going to charge Rock extra either if I had his tv but I do not.

:notworthy

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
Curved/flexible phones? Anyone think these have appeal? I just don't see it right now.

The G Flex is interesting. It actually flexes and doesn't break. Plus, the back can "heal" after light scratches. On the other hand, that Samsung Galaxy Round isn't all that interesting.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN50EH5000-5...321&sr=1-11

This one was 500 bucks. Missed out.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 09:35 AM)
Curved/flexible phones? Anyone think these have appeal? I just don't see it right now.

None of these phones seem to do much to me...mostly gimmicky useless stuff they did just to say they did it. But for what actual need/reason, I don't know.

The idea of a phone you can fold in half to fit into a pocket is one thing, it has practical uses, but a slight curve in a screen smaller than a movie theater screen, I don't get it.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
None of these phones seem to do much to me...mostly gimmicky useless stuff they did just to say they did it. But for what actual need/reason, I don't know.

The idea of a phone you can fold in half to fit into a pocket is one thing, it has practical uses, but a slight curve in a screen smaller than a movie theater screen, I don't get it.

I read that the next gen of iPhones might be covered in Sapphire glass, which is supposedly practically impossible to scratch or break. A phone that I can't damage is something that could tempt me back to the dark side...

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 06:29 PM)
I read that the next gen of iPhones might be covered in Sapphire glass, which is supposedly practically impossible to scratch or break. A phone that I can't damage is something that could tempt me back to the dark side...

If that's the case, then a screen made of sapphire might finally justify the price tag of an iPhone (around $700 unlocked).

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 07:29 PM)

Don't think all those other companies aren't working on something along those lines as well.

My internet has been pretty slow since I moved into my apartment back in May and I am pretty tired of it.. My internet will disconnect at least 2 times a day randomly for no reason, I can't stream video like MLBTV, can't play madden online through wifi, YouTube videos buffer sometimes. But I am just now fed up, I just got a tablet and its connected to the wifi. My router is probably no more then 20 feet away from my living room (it is in a small bedroom) and I can't even watch a Youtube video, I have to let it buffer for a few minutes to watch and surfing the internet is slow as well.

Anything I can do to speed up the internet? My ISP offers up to 30 Mbps and I believe my router is more then good enough for a small apartment.

Just did a speed test and this is what I got: 10.43 download and 4.29 upload speed. not sure how good that is considering I am 15 feet from my router and nobody else is using the internet.

whenever I am in the same room as the router my internet is way fast.

Any tips would be great

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 01:13 AM)
My internet has been pretty slow since I moved into my apartment back in May and I am pretty tired of it.. My internet will disconnect at least 2 times a day randomly for no reason, I can't stream video like MLBTV, can't play madden online through wifi, YouTube videos buffer sometimes. But I am just now fed up, I just got a tablet and its connected to the wifi. My router is probably no more then 20 feet away from my living room (it is in a small bedroom) and I can't even watch a Youtube video, I have to let it buffer for a few minutes to watch and surfing the internet is slow as well.

Anything I can do to speed up the internet? My ISP offers up to 30 Mbps and I believe my router is more then good enough for a small apartment.

Just did a speed test and this is what I got: 10.43 download and 4.29 upload speed. not sure how good that is considering I am 15 feet from my router and nobody else is using the internet.

whenever I am in the same room as the router my internet is way fast.

Any tips would be great

Who is your provider

What type of router do you have

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
10mbs download speed is plenty to handle youtube videos.

Should be, but the dropping of signal is what concerns me. I've seen it before in a couple of cases, one where it was literally the wiring not having enough strength of signal from the provider and the other the router was just losing packets and it was basically slowly dying.