Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)
I thought you're supposed to turn that motion stuff ON to get the 120/240hz refresh rate?

On makes it look more like the old meteor hockey puck blurring its way through the air.

Turning it off increases Judder.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
DLP's are very nice, the technology, while dated, produces a really amazing picture. I know, because before moving to Plasma, I owned one, and so did a friend of mine. The nicest thing about them is when the picture dims over years of usage, replacing the bulb puts it right back to brand new quality.

The problem with DLP's is they're not wall mountable, which is a nonstarter for a lot of people these days.

DLPs still see a lot of use in high-end, high-demand video applications. We're building a video wall for a customer that spec'd out 8 70" DLP's, and they are not cheap.

Well that sucks. Comcast gets to charge on both ends now.

eta: well it looks like the FCC chair said he thinks they should be able to, but it's not the official FCC policy yet. Killing net neutrality in favor of the big telecoms would be awful.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013/12...rnet-fast-lane/

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
DLPs still see a lot of use in high-end, high-demand video applications. We're building a video wall for a customer that spec'd out 8 70" DLP's, and they are not cheap.

I have a 7 year 65" Toshiba DLP that sits in a wall cutout. The size was perfect. The picture is still awesome and the gaming is really good. It is big but not overly heavy. I would think about getting another one if the cost was right.

A bunch of Chromecast apps just came out today, including Plex, which allows you to stream media from your computer (or your media server). It definitely makes my Chromecast purchase more worthwhile.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
Anyone having issues with yahoo mail on their phone?

Yes. Nothing major, but it does seem to not register messages as read sometimes or adds them back to my inbox.

Anyone else ditch the fingerprint scanner on iphone? The thing was too picky so I finally bailed on it. It was more effort than it was saving. If I just washed my hands or got out of the shower and tried to use my phone it would never work. It was also picky if I was any bit sweaty. Heck, sometimes I don't know why it didn't work in what seemed like optimal conditions.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)
Yes. Nothing major, but it does seem to not register messages as read sometimes or adds them back to my inbox.

Anyone else ditch the fingerprint scanner on iphone? The thing was too picky so I finally bailed on it. It was more effort than it was saving. If I just washed my hands or got out of the shower and tried to use my phone it would never work. It was also picky if I was any bit sweaty. Heck, sometimes I don't know why it didn't work in what seemed like optimal conditions.

Hopefully it continues to be improved as I can see its usefulness in the abstract

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
How would folks suggest reacting to a DMCA notice from an ISP? My sense, from looking at this link (the ISP in question is the one mentioned in the article) is to not respond on their first strike even if "innocent"

Isnt the first notice just saying that they are going to turn over your ip address unless you file a motion to quash. Because if that is the notice, then you are caught in a hilarious catch 22. You can not file a motion to quash as a john doe, so youd have to file an appearance and thus they know who you are anyways.

That being said the subpoena is going to be granted anyways so might as well just see what happens.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 02:50 PM)
Isnt the first notice just saying that they are going to turn over your ip address unless you file a motion to quash. Because if that is the notice, then you are caught in a hilarious catch 22. You can not file a motion to quash as a john doe, so youd have to file an appearance and thus they know who you are anyways.

That being said the subpoena is going to be granted anyways so might as well just see what happens.

I haven't laid eyes on the notice, but my impression is that it says Mediacom has received a DMCA complaint from somebody (person telling me about it said it was not MPAA or RIAA) regarding an unspecified download on [some specific date]. Recipient may file a counterclaim along w/ promise that offending file or files are deleted. General threat that future complaints could result in banishment from Mediacom service.

IIRC, content owners have stopped suing individuals but what do I know. I've read elsewhere that filing the counterclaim or asking the content owner for more information opens Pandora's box to all kinds of legal issues. I love that their definition of a counterclaim is essentially admitting guilt. The automated systems sending out DMCA notices are notoriously inaccurate. Apparently, judges have declared these errant DMCA notices to not be perjurous because the sender "didn't mean it." LOL

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
I haven't laid eyes on the notice, but my impression is that it says Mediacom has received a DMCA complaint from somebody (person telling me about it said it was not MPAA or RIAA) regarding an unspecified download on [some specific date]. Recipient may file a counterclaim along w/ promise that offending file or files are deleted. General threat that future complaints could result in banishment from Mediacom service.

IIRC, content owners have stopped suing individuals but what do I know. I've read elsewhere that filing the counterclaim or asking the content owner for more information opens Pandora's box to all kinds of legal issues. I love that their definition of a counterclaim is essentially admitting guilt. The automated systems sending out DMCA notices are notoriously inaccurate. Apparently, judges have declared these errant DMCA notices to not be perjurous because the sender "didn't mean it." LOL

Throw it out pretend it never happened, stop 'sharing' your torrent files because that's how they get you. Carry on.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Dec 11, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
Throw it out pretend it never happened, stop 'sharing' your torrent files because that's how they get you. Carry on.

Of course nobody did anything, but if a person did it would certainly be someone that perhaps gave birth to me.

I pay for Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Google Play Music All Access which does a pretty damn good job of covering all of my bases. I have Amazon Prime, but lack of app support means I don't use it that often for streaming. Love getting cheap, fast shipping though.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 10, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)

I don't have a 5S, but my friend uses it flawlessly all the time.

I'd try redoing the config, you probably rushed through it and messed it up.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)
I don't have a 5S, but my friend uses it flawlessly all the time.

I'd try redoing the config, you probably rushed through it and messed it up.

I'm calling BS on that. I know of one other user that had issues and got rid of it. That convinced me to bail on it as well.

It works when you take your time and solidly press your finger down, but only when your hand is perfectly dry and warm. It's more bother to get it to work than it is to remove the password (which I hate having to enter when the thing doesn't read) than to simply go back to swipe.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 13, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
I'm calling BS on that. I know of one other user that had issues and got rid of it. That convinced me to bail on it as well.

It works when you take your time and solidly press your finger down, but only when your hand is perfectly dry and warm. It's more bother to get it to work than it is to remove the password (which I hate having to enter when the thing doesn't read) than to simply go back to swipe.

Nobody I know is experiencing these issues.

More often than not, in the IT world, that means the issue lies between the device and the chair. ;)

Edited by Y2HH