Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 09:34 AM)
Stock works with MMS. I just turned off hangouts handling SMS and everything is back to normal.

Yeah that's an issue with Hangouts then. Weird.

For me, only Hangouts works with MMS. All third party apps can't handle it.

SMS/MMS work over voice networks, while data works over whatever data network you use, for example, LTE.

On Verizon, for example, 3G/CDMA is their Voice Network, so any SMS/MMS you send goes over that band. Data, however, goes over WiFi or LTE (or drops to their older 3G data network when necessary).

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 12:23 PM)
SMS/MMS work over voice networks, while data works over whatever data network you use, for example, LTE.

On T-Mobile, SMS goes over voice, but MMS goes over data.

My wife and I cannot send/receive MMS messages if we do nto have a data connection.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
Hey. Anyone know how to convert YouTube video to mp3 so I can play it on iPod.

Instructions are for Mac OS

download and use ClicktoFlash extension in Safari

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/38007/clicktoflash

Load video in Youtube

right click and download video (this doesn't work with all videos.)

open in Quicktime - file / export audio only (creates .m4a file)

You can play the .m4a (AAC) file on an Ipod

open in Itunes - right click / create mp3 version (mp3 encoder needs to be selected in preferences for import settings)

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 07:26 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=2917454:date=Jan 10, 2014 -> 07:35 PM:name=RockRaines)-->
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 10, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
<!--quotec-->Hey. Anyone know how to convert YouTube video to mp3 so I can play it on iPod.

Instructions are for Mac OS

download and use ClicktoFlash extension in Safari

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/38007/clicktoflash

Load video in Youtube

right click and download video (this doesn't work with all videos.)

open in Quicktime - file / export audio only (creates .m4a file)

You can play the .m4a (AAC) file on an Ipod

open in Itunes - right click / create mp3 version (mp3 encoder needs to be selected in preferences for import settings)

You can also go to Vixy.net and paste the URL of the video. From there, it will convert it online for free and give you a download link once finished.

Link

At the 2014 Consumer Electronics Show we learned that we could expect to see the Samsung Galaxy S5 in a few months, around the same time the company introduced its predecessor, the Galaxy S4, last year. Now, a lone "insider" has passed on some specs for Samsung's next Android flagship phone to Samsung-obsessed site SamMobile along with some of what can be expected in a new S5 Mini and S5 Zoom.

SamMobile has proven to be a pretty reliable source for Samsung leaks, so this report bears repeating with the usual grain of salt that these things can change at any time and not all leaks are good ones. The site says there will be a premium metal body version of the S5, as was reported earlier, alongside a standard plastic version. The phone gets an impressive 2560x1440 AMOLED display, a 16-megapixel camera, and either an Exynos 6 processor or a Snapdragon 805 running Android 4.4 KitKat.

This would make for a pretty impressive new phone with some retina-melting graphics capability, but it's still basically an iterative hardware upgrade over the Galaxy S4, not a new revolution in mobile computing, which also bolsters the case that this leak might be legit.

At CES, Samsung unveiled a new line of Galaxy TabPro and NotePro tablets with comparable higher-resolution displays to what's reported by SamMobile. With the Galaxy Note 3 running on the Snapdragon 800, it makes sense that the Galaxy S5 would be a good candidate for the new 805 with its improved graphics capability.

The high-end phones need to focus on something other than processing power -- focus on battery life, software, and novel hardware features. They run SO well right now (well, Samsung not as much, but that is another software issue) that they are much better served focusing on other parts of the experience.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 06:51 PM)
The high-end phones need to focus on something other than processing power -- focus on battery life, software, and novel hardware features. They run SO well right now (well, Samsung not as much, but that is another software issue) that they are much better served focusing on other parts of the experience.

I agree with this. We need less pure hardware specs, and more fluid functionality and battery life across ALL platforms.

The spec race has become as boring as it was when we called it the MHZ race in microprocessors. Things like 500 PPI on a screen mean nothing when the human eye cannot see more than 300 unless you hold the phone 3 inches from your face, which nobody does. And while I'm at it, 15megapixels vs 8megapixels is just as useless since that's a minor part of what makes a picture good. A bigger sensor beneath an 8mp camera is far superior to a tiny sensor beneath a 40mp capture. I really despise these hardware spec sheets that often mean little to nothing.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 07:54 AM)
And while I'm at it, 15megapixels vs 8megapixels is just as useless since that's a minor part of what makes a picture good. A bigger sensor beneath an 8mp camera is far superior to a tiny sensor beneath a 40mp capture. I really despise these hardware spec sheets that often mean little to nothing.

e.g. a $6000 Nikon might have 'only' 16.2MP, but that doesn't mean it's inferior in any way to a $200 point-and-shoot with 40MP.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 08:27 AM)
e.g. a $6000 Nikon might have 'only' 16.2MP, but that doesn't mean it's inferior in any way to a $200 point-and-shoot with 40MP.

It's misinformation at it's best (or worst), depending on how you want to look at it. Just like the mhz race was bulls***, as depending on the architecture, a dual core 1.2ghz processor could be faster than a 4 core 2.3ghz processor. The same goes for cameras, as the MP race means less than nothing when taken by itself, and relies on the misinformed to gain traction. The size and quality of the sensor means much more than how many low quality pixels you can record.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jan 13, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
My wife got a Kindle for Christmas and found an ebay auction selling Kindle-version books. How is that even possible/legal?

I’m new to all this but I thought that when you buy an e-book, it only went to a single device or account.

Nah. You can download e-books in any format and convert them to .mobi to work with Kindle. I haven't paid for a book in two years.

Looking for advice, not sure if here or travel thread.

Going to Canada for 4 days this weekend. We'll be traveling around a bit so I'd like to have data on my phone to search directions and look up stuff to do rather than only have things queued up from wifi in hotel. Sprint offers some data packs for canada, $30 for 55mb. I use about 16/day here in US. Do you think I'd use more or less on vacation? My feeling is more but being conscious about data means I'd probably only look if necessary. Plus would not be streaming music to/from work like now.

THoughts? There is a 16mb plan as well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 14, 2014 -> 01:23 PM)
Looking for advice, not sure if here or travel thread.

Going to Canada for 4 days this weekend. We'll be traveling around a bit so I'd like to have data on my phone to search directions and look up stuff to do rather than only have things queued up from wifi in hotel. Sprint offers some data packs for canada, $30 for 55mb. I use about 16/day here in US. Do you think I'd use more or less on vacation? My feeling is more but being conscious about data means I'd probably only look if necessary. Plus would not be streaming music to/from work like now.

THoughts? There is a 16mb plan as well.

Does your hotel actually have wifi? If it does you can get by with planning "most" things and most tasks while on hotel wifi and occasionally use the phone on the road when you actually need it.

Also how often do you obsessively check things like Facebook and Soxtalk?

It does. I don't believe I will be checking much at all but i HAVE to instagram obviously.

I'm mostly worried about work and if anything comes in I have to check as much as I can. Not sure how gouged I would be if I rolled with the straight up .002/kb pricing.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 02:54 AM)
Just now finding out what NFC tags are and am really interested in splitting a pack of them with my brother. If these things were able to be used with the screen off, and had like a 3 foot range instead of a 3 inch range, they would be immensely useful. Instead I'll use a couple and see how they do.

Root, install Xposed Framework, and install NFC Screen Off Enabler (I think that's the name). You can have certain tags unlock your screen.

NFC will only work within about an inch proximity.

NFC is extremely useful in the car. Right now, I have it enabling bluetooth and unlocking my phone. Then when it connects to my car's bluetooth, it enables GPS, starts my music app, starts music playback, and opens up a car portal app so I can choose what Map app to open. I just put my phone on my dock and it does this all by itself. No more messing with my phone for a minute before starting my drive.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 16, 2014 -> 08:02 AM)
Root, install Xposed Framework, and install NFC Screen Off Enabler (I think that's the name). You can have certain tags unlock your screen.

NFC will only work within about an inch proximity.

NFC is extremely useful in the car. Right now, I have it enabling bluetooth and unlocking my phone. Then when it connects to my car's bluetooth, it enables GPS, starts my music app, starts music playback, and opens up a car portal app so I can choose what Map app to open. I just put my phone on my dock and it does this all by itself. No more messing with my phone for a minute before starting my drive.

I'm too worried about doing it incorrectly and jacking up my phone to ever root it though. Always considered, never had the guts to try it.

Just unlocked, rooted, and flashed a ROM on my One earlier this week. I feel all grown up now. I agree that there are not a lot of beginner's resources and you'll have to get a minimum of adequacy with command prompt unless a kind developer has created a tool for your device