Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 08:48 AM)
Google bought Nest because its getting into the home automation market and Nest is one of the most forward thinking companies out there on that topic. Integrating your identity (google) with your home preferences etc is where they would like to go. I bet they buy doorbot or something of that nature next.

Oh, I know why they did it on the surface, mostly based on wall-street analyst guesses, IF they actually do those things. Based on the failed Motorola acquisition, it's a bit harder than just snapping up a company and it becoming a part of Google. This will take years to materialize, IF it materializes at all.

As of right now, Nest is remaining a separate entity, just like Motorola was...and until that changes, none of that's happening.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
The reason Motorola sucks isnt the products, its the management chain and a great deal of the employee base. Its not a very innovative company and its completely saturated with horrible politics and inept management.

A lot of those managers were replaced by high ranking Google execs and managers -- who they lost in this sale. Those former Google employees are now Lenovo's.

Google laid off THOUSANDS of Motorola employees as part of their house cleaning to get their own people in there.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)
A lot of those managers were replaced by high ranking Google execs and managers -- who they lost in this sale. Those former Google employees are now Lenovo's.

Google laid off THOUSANDS of Motorola employees as part of their house cleaning to get their own people in there.

I know from first hand experience that the problem children were still there. Its a clusterf*** of politics and adding a few layers of Google people made it worse. Not to mention Google sent the D team over there.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 08:51 AM)
Oh, I know why they did it on the surface, mostly based on wall-street analyst guesses, IF they actually do those things. Based on the failed Motorola acquisition, it's a bit harder than just snapping up a company and it becoming a part of Google. This will take years to materialize, IF it materializes at all.

As of right now, Nest is remaining a separate entity, just like Motorola was...and until that changes, none of that's happening.

"Integration" takes next to nothing for the Nest which makes it attractive. You make the Nest device either OAuth aware for authentication or use OpenIDConnect on their software to connect your google account with the monitoring service. Poof, Nest now uses your google profile as a way to detect who you are and further on down the line, where you are, what you are doing, etc.

Thats why it was so smart.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:09 AM)
"Integration" takes next to nothing for the Nest which makes it attractive. You make the Nest device either OAuth aware for authentication or use OpenIDConnect on their software to connect your google account with the monitoring service. Poof, Nest now uses your google profile as a way to detect who you are and further on down the line, where you are, what you are doing, etc.

Thats why it was so smart.

I expect this, but it won't happen for a long time, or at least until they stop pretending they want to run Nest as a separate entity.

This also opens up a whole new slew of privacy concerns. It's one thing to expect privacy on the Internet...it's another animal to expect it in your home. I foresee a LOT of issues with this, issues that could become very costly for Google.

I was only pointing out Nest, because he opined that Google wanted out of the hardware business...but I don't think that's the case.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)
I expect this, but it won't happen for a long time, or at least until they stop pretending they want to run Nest as a separate entity.

This also opens up a whole new slew of privacy concerns. It's one thing to expect privacy on the Internet...it's another animal to expect it in your home. I foresee a LOT of issues with this, issues that could become very costly for Google.

I was only pointing out Nest, because he opined that Google wanted out of the hardware business...but I don't think that's the case.

Well what do you mean by privacy? The hardware has a cryptic key based on internet security standards that is accessed by the software on the internet. Its very secure. The next piece becomes your device as the identifier similar to what auto manufacturers will be rolling out in the next few years as ways to enter your car and identify you as a user. This stuff is already in place in other forms, its just another way to do it. Right now the nest depends on movement etc to detect where you are in the house and your patterns but pretty soon it will be able to know when you are close to home based on google maps and will be able to start your heater or AC so its comfortable when you get in.

I can get really deep into this as its my field. We've already developed this technology to go so far as installing a kegerator in our office that knows who you are, what your last beer preference is and your allotted amount per day after work.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
Well what do you mean by privacy? The hardware has a cryptic key based on internet security standards that is accessed by the software on the internet. Its very secure. The next piece becomes your device as the identifier similar to what auto manufacturers will be rolling out in the next few years as ways to enter your car and identify you as a user. This stuff is already in place in other forms, its just another way to do it. Right now the nest depends on movement etc to detect where you are in the house and your patterns but pretty soon it will be able to know when you are close to home based on google maps and will be able to start your heater or AC so its comfortable when you get in.

I can get really deep into this as its my field. We've already developed this technology to go so far as installing a kegerator in our office that knows who you are, what your last beer preference is and your allotted amount per day after work.

I don't mean security/encryption of the data. I mean the use of it.

Disclosure: I own a Nest thermostat.

My chief concern is because Google as a company isn't what Nest was as a company, Google is primarily an ad company that mines personal data from people.

To make it a finer point, my Nest is a product that does a very specific thing -- I want the Nest to know I'm home so it knows to turn my heat or air on -- NOT because I want Google to know I'm home, or how long I'm home, or how many times I enter my living room. I think these concerns are very real in the face of what Google is and does. What I do in my home is MY business -- NOT Googles. If this data is ONLY used to operate my thermostat, I have no issues with it...but if it's compiled/saved/stored for any other reason, I have a big problem with it. I also don't feel that's out of line, this isn't Chrome or some free app Google gave me...I paid almost 300$ for this.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
To make it a finer point, my Nest is a product that does a very specific thing -- I want the Nest to know I'm home so it knows to turn my heat or air on -- NOT because I want Google to know I'm home, or how long I'm home, or how many times I enter my living room.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)

My chief concern because Google isn't what Nest was, it's specifically an ad company that mines personal data from people.

To make it a finer point, my Nest is a product that does a very specific thing -- I want the Nest to know I'm home so it knows to turn my heat or air on -- NOT because I want Google to know I'm home, or how long I'm home, or how many times I enter my living room. I think these concerns are very real in the face of what Google is and does. What I do in my home is MY business -- NOT Googles. If this data is ONLY used to operate my thermostat, I have no issues with it...but if it's compiled/saved/stored for any other reason, I do. And I don't really feel that's out of line. This isn't Chrome or some free app Google gave me...I paid almost 300$ for this.

Yeah well thats the rub right? Having GPS enabled on your phone tracks some data about you that most wont like. You can always turn it off. Having Wayze or googlemaps etc is going to concern the folks that hate sharing any data about location etc.

I am betting connecting it to their monitoring stuff wont be mandatory, but who knows. The way of technology is going to be using your device (phone) as your ID and because of that software will be able to know where you are pretty much all the time. BMW is developing and testing software that will adjust your car based on what you are doing, where you are planning to go, where you have been etc. All based on data mined from your phone and its data.

*I have a nest too*

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 07:24 AM)

Where can I buy one? ;)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Yeah well thats the rub right? Having GPS enabled on your phone tracks some data about you that most wont like. You can always turn it off. Having Wayze or googlemaps etc is going to concern the folks that hate sharing any data about location etc.

I am betting connecting it to their monitoring stuff wont be mandatory, but who knows. The way of technology is going to be using your device (phone) as your ID and because of that software will be able to know where you are pretty much all the time. BMW is developing and testing software that will adjust your car based on what you are doing, where you are planning to go, where you have been etc. All based on data mined from your phone and its data.

*I have a nest too*

It's one thing to use that data to make whatever product it is I'm using operate to my specifications/habits...it's another thing entirely to compile that data so you can sell advertisements...which is what Google does with their multitude of free apps. The Nest is a premium priced product, and as I said, I have no concern about them using the information the Nest knows to OPERATE the Nest, but anything beyond that, IMO, should open them to massive litigation.

They at least have some sort of argument when talking about free apps you don't have to use. But when talking about something I paid for...I have a bit of an issue with it...unless they start giving me Nests and cars for free, they can f*** themselves. :)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 07:32 AM)

My chief concern is because Google as a company isn't what Nest was as a company, Google is primarily an ad company that mines personal data from people.

To make it a finer point, my Nest is a product that does a very specific thing -- I want the Nest to know I'm home so it knows to turn my heat or air on -- NOT because I want Google to know I'm home, or how long I'm home, or how many times I enter my living room. I think these concerns are very real in the face of what Google is and does. What I do in my home is MY business -- NOT Googles. If this data is ONLY used to operate my thermostat, I have no issues with it...but if it's compiled/saved/stored for any other reason, I have a big problem with it. I also don't feel that's out of line, this isn't Chrome or some free app Google gave me...I paid almost 300$ for this.

What are your thoughts so far about the Nest? I was very interested in buying it when I first read about it, but my company (the power company in Nevada) has a program where we distribute other smart thermostats to customers for free, so it didn't make a ton of sense to shell out the cash for the Nest.

Do you think it is head and shoulders above most other smart thermostats out there?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:43 AM)
Where can I buy one? ;)

It's pretty good. You approach the machine (ours has a few selections of beers) and if your last choice is out it will recommend another on the app we built. Of course this is after it checks your consumption for the day and in the future check if you have meetings left on your calendar.

Next gen Identity.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)
What are your thoughts so far about the Nest? I was very interested in buying it when I first read about it, but my company (the power company in Nevada) has a program where we distribute other smart thermostats to customers for free, so it didn't make a ton of sense to shell out the cash for the Nest.

Do you think it is head and shoulders above most other smart thermostats out there?

The one thing its missing is the ability to have a remote module to detect temperature where a nest isnt located. I REALLY need that in my new house and havent found anything yet that I like. I think eventually with the google stuff maybe it will be able to use the phone to do this? Who knows.

other than that its pretty f***ing awesome. It learns how you like the temp and sets it. If you are gone, it turns it down. Its rock solid hardware with reliable software.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 07:47 AM)
It's pretty good. You approach the machine (ours has a few selections of beers) and if your last choice is out it will recommend another on the app we built. Of course this is after it checks your consumption for the day and in the future check if you have meetings left on your calendar.

Next gen Identity.

This is about the only reason I miss working in a law firm as opposed to a large company...drinking was encouraged...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:46 AM)

It's overpriced, but it's very useful -- it tells you exactly how long you've used your heat/air every day, compiles it into a list so you know. It tells you why you had to use more or less due to weather, or if you're saving energy...but for me it's most useful ability to controlling it remotely. Coming home from a road trip and being able to fire up my heat/air so it's at the desired temp BEFORE I get there is much better than having to leave it run until I get home, or coming home to a freezing house.

Also, it looks cool. ;)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:49 AM)
The one thing its missing is the ability to have a remote module to detect temperature where a nest isnt located. I REALLY need that in my new house and havent found anything yet that I like. I think eventually with the google stuff maybe it will be able to use the phone to do this? Who knows.

other than that its pretty f***ing awesome. It learns how you like the temp and sets it. If you are gone, it turns it down. Its rock solid hardware with reliable software.

Though there are no cheap remote modules for this, you can buy additional nests or even their new smoke detectors that can do this. Their smoke detectors tie into the nest and they share info about your house between them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 07:49 AM)

Yeah, I am in the same boat...I'm guessing you have areas/rooms in your house where the temp isn't the same as wherever your thermo...pretty shocking that no one has done that yet.

The one we have has the basic functionality of the Nest...it can be adjusted remotely and supposedly learns like the Nest does, but I highly doubt the software is anywhere near as good as the Nest's.

Have you bought their smoke alarm yet?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:51 AM)
This is about the only reason I miss working in a law firm as opposed to a large company...drinking was encouraged...

LOL. As a small tech "start-up" I am convinced they drink and play at HQ more than work. I wish I had their kitchen/social hour.

I think there were more emails about the new kegerator than about our drive to go public.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
Yeah, I am in the same boat...I'm guessing you have areas/rooms in your house where the temp isn't the same as wherever your thermo...pretty shocking that no one has done that yet.

The one we have has the basic functionality of the Nest...it can be adjusted remotely and supposedly learns like the Nest does, but I highly doubt the software is anywhere near as good as the Nest's.

Have you bought their smoke alarm yet?

I got a hunter thermo for upstairs that had that feature but it SUCKS. It barely ever recognizes it, the thing crashes all the time and overall blows. It looks like Honeywell has one, but I have zero confidence in it working. Our house is old with additions and we have 3 zones. Upstairs our bedroom is the furthest room from the thermostat and is the only one with the vents open. The only other option is to move the thermostat. So terrible.

Nah, only have a Nest that I got from work for free.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 08:52 AM)

They laid off about 75% of Motorola's workforce (22,000 down to around 5,000 now).

Motorola's easily been the most innovative Android OEM for the last year and Google had a lot to do with that. Hell, before Google bought Motorola, most of their phones were junk and never got any updates that were promised. Now, all of Motorola's phones released in the past year are on the latest version of Android (even the Verizon Droid phones).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 07:57 AM)
I got a hunter thermo for upstairs that had that feature but it SUCKS. It barely ever recognizes it, the thing crashes all the time and overall blows. It looks like Honeywell has one, but I have zero confidence in it working. Our house is old with additions and we have 3 zones. Upstairs our bedroom is the furthest room from the thermostat and is the only one with the vents open. The only other option is to move the thermostat. So terrible.

Nah, only have a Nest that I got from work for free.

Yeah, we have tons of glass and so the temp fluctuates a lot more in those areas. Some day when I am in a financial position to do so, I am going to make the house a lot more energy efficient so the temps stay much more constant throughout the house.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 10:06 AM)
I have a $20 dollar Honeywell programmable thermostat that works just fine.

/drops mic

/me hits Jenks over the head with a steel chair after he drops the mic.

If you're gonna be busting out mic dropping promos, I have to take you out.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 30, 2014 -> 10:00 AM)
Yeah, we have tons of glass and so the temp fluctuates a lot more in those areas. Some day when I am in a financial position to do so, I am going to make the house a lot more energy efficient so the temps stay much more constant throughout the house.

Windows are huge on that. Ours is that our house was retrofit with AC and Blown Heat (built in 1883) so the high velocity system kind of makes the heating uneven upstairs. Not to mention uneven insulation. SO f***ing frustrating.