Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 08:14 AM)
For two weeks. Then you'll get used to it and want something in the 90s. ;)

I'm still in love with my 70-inch after among 2 years...

Ordered a 13-inch MacBook Pro with retina display tonight. 16 gb memory and 512 gb of flash storage, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5...pretty stoked.

Got put in charge of a huge project at work and will be out of pocket for much of the next year and refuse to depend on the piece of s*** Dell Ultrabook the company forces down our throats.

Edited by iamshack

As a cost saving measure, I was willing to accept the small hard drive in the MacBook Air (128GB). I don't really do storage-intensive things, short of some amateur photography that is stored on external drives. Still, I was shocked at how little drive space I had. I spent all morning trying to find out how to carve out some more drive space since I only had about 12GB free. Then...I realized that Time Machine had created 40GB in local snapshots. One click later and I'm oozing with free space.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 11, 2014 -> 04:23 PM)
Does anyone have any experience with wireless headphones? I need a lower end pair for myself and nicer brand for my Dad. Any experience would be highly appreciated.

I have two pairs. One for working out, another for white noise when I sleep (I live by train tracks and there's construction going on next to my apt).

I bought a pair of Sony ones for $40 on sale, I think they're around $70-80 MSRP. Great sound quality, very comfortable. The work-out headphones I got are Motorola. Meh sound quality, but light and good for working out. I've had those for 4 years now.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 02:52 PM)
My wife really likes the idea of an all-in-one computer. She was looking at a HP. Thoughts?

I've worked on a couple of HP All-in-One desktop's and first thing I noticed is lack of a CD/DVD drive. Since I work on computers and still have a lot of useful CD's I carry around, this was kind of a bummer. Another thing is they all come w/ Windows 8. If is not used to the new tile based Metro interface this could be a bit like going to a basic PC class just to re-learn how to navigate between your Desktop and the Windows Store. Other then that, they are fast and convenient since all you have is just the monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse.

QUOTE (Yoda @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 02:10 PM)
I've worked on a couple of HP All-in-One desktop's and first thing I noticed is lack of a CD/DVD drive. Since I work on computers and still have a lot of useful CD's I carry around, this was kind of a bummer. Another thing is they all come w/ Windows 8. If is not used to the new tile based Metro interface this could be a bit like going to a basic PC class just to re-learn how to navigate between your Desktop and the Windows Store. Other then that, they are fast and convenient since all you have is just the monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Get a high capacity USB key, it essentially replaces all of those CD's you carry. You can put anything on it from utilities to music, and even make them bootable drives.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 01:14 PM)
Just became aware of the One+ phone manufacturer. Very interesting stuff. But I assume those phones aren't available on contracts, so it would actually cost me more money, not less.

I thought they were very fairly priced, hard part was getting the invite to actually purchase one?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 03:26 PM)
I thought they were very fairly priced, hard part was getting the invite to actually purchase one?

Yeah, the idea is that they cost about half the price, unlocked, and don't have any bloatware UI from any major manufacturer. The problem for me, though, is that I get all my phones on discount w/ a 2-year contract. I've never paid full price for a phone. So even though these One+ phones are only $250-$300 unlocked, that's significantly more than I pay when I sign a new 2-year upgrade.

And yeah, then there is the whole referral program thing.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 01:34 PM)
Yeah, the idea is that they cost about half the price, unlocked, and don't have any bloatware UI from any major manufacturer. The problem for me, though, is that I get all my phones on discount w/ a 2-year contract. I've never paid full price for a phone. So even though these One+ phones are only $250-$300 unlocked, that's significantly more than I pay when I sign a new 2-year upgrade.

And yeah, then there is the whole referral program thing.

So move to a provider who doesn't charge you the subsidized rate...ie, Tmobile.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 04:57 PM)
Family plan.

I'm in the same boat. I'm on a company line where there's just no way it's advantageous for me to get an off-contract device short of needing one before I'm eligible for upgrade. The thing is, if I call them (ATT), they always give me an early upgrade.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 06:59 PM)
I'm in the same boat. I'm on a company line where there's just no way it's advantageous for me to get an off-contract device short of needing one before I'm eligible for upgrade. The thing is, if I call them (ATT), they always give me an early upgrade.

My G2 is great still, so I'm not in the market for a phone, I just thought the One+ was an interesting concept. Maybe I'll call AT&T next summer and see if they can give me a couple month early upgrade if the new G4, or some other nice phone comes out.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 11:05 PM)
A google search tells me no but maybe I'm missing someting...In an effort to save money I'm thinking about getting a roku...but only if theres way to full baseball, basketball, and football games...I'm SOL n that regard right?

Basketball is possible via NBA League Pass - $149/year. MLB.tv is possible, I believe that's also $149 for a full season. I might be wrong and it could be as high as $199. There is no streaming support for NFL on Roku or any other streaming device other than game consoles

I have Windows 8 and for the past couple months when I get on the internet I always get a "Can't connect because of the Proxy server" or something like that. I have to go to the internet settings and uncheck the use a proxy server setting. The problem is the settings to stick and after some time it happens again and I have to do it over. It has been getting worse this past week and I have to do it every hour or 2 and then it does it ever 5-10 minutes then restart my computer.

Others have been having this problem with a google search but I haven't been able to do anything to fix it. It is becoming very annoying. Has anyone else had this problem or know what I can do to fix it?

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 20, 2014 -> 09:05 PM)
A google search tells me no but maybe I'm missing someting...In an effort to save money I'm thinking about getting a roku...but only if theres way to full baseball, basketball, and football games...I'm SOL n that regard right?

If you are making an effort to save money, then don't get a Roku, get a Chromecast.

my HTC One M7 has become a real thorn lately. It has been heating up and draining for the past 10 days. I have not been able to figure out what the hell is taking up so much resources, even when I go into it. I did a factory reset adn restore today. I'm 6 months away from an upgrade, but I'm not sure how much longer I can last not having a phone that can get through more than 5 hours day.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 21, 2014 -> 12:04 PM)
my HTC One M7 has become a real thorn lately. It has been heating up and draining for the past 10 days. I have not been able to figure out what the hell is taking up so much resources, even when I go into it. I did a factory reset adn restore today. I'm 6 months away from an upgrade, but I'm not sure how much longer I can last not having a phone that can get through more than 5 hours day.

Mine started doing that too right around thanksgiving, so I flashed the latest CM rom and that seems to have fixed it.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
I get all my phones on discount w/ a 2-year contract. I've never paid full price for a phone.

You realize the carriers have built in part of the phone in their rates?