Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

I ordered the 6+ for work, love it (agree about the tablet replacement) but still not sure if I'd want to be lugging it around as my personal. I usually throw it in my back pocket...I don't like having it in my front pocket...too big.

Will probably go with the 6 when I upgrade my personal in May.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my phone is all the sudden freaking out. Constantly restarting itself and the screen sometimes won't come on. I still have a couple more moves to try out, mainly doing a factory reset on it, but I may have to suck it up and buy a new phone.

I either have to decide to buy an unlocked phone, or enter in to AT&T's NEXT program. If I choose to do another 2-year agreement that I have always done (it's actually 18-months for long-time customers), then my bill goes up $25/mo. So then I am paying an extra $450 over those 18 months to avoid their NEXT program. So basically, I need to find an unlocked phone for under $450, or enter in to their NEXT program, which varies in phone cost, and forces me to go a 20-month plan.

I've looked in to the One+ which is $349 for the 64 GB version, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas. I'd really prefer not to pay anything over $200, but I think that is going to prove difficult.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Feb 9, 2015 -> 05:49 PM)
When you say "no contract", do you mean unlocked? Because on BestBuy's website, I don't see that phone under their "no contract" section. They are all cheap go-phones.

They're not unlocked - you have to use them on ATT unless you know how to unlock yourself. You don't have to sign a contract to use them.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 12, 2015 -> 02:34 AM)
Bear in mind, if running CyanogenMod is part of the draw for you, One+ is likely to push their own non-CM OS to their devices soon due to their squabble w/ CM

Yeah, to "Oxygen OS". CyanogenMod is not the draw for me. It's more the bang-for-the-buck over anything else.

Anyone know how I can recover the files from my LG G2 backup file that I created last weekend? My G2 seems completely bricked at this point, but my main concern is trying to recover all my pictures and files from the backup file that I created last weekend. The back-up utility on the phone put it all in to a file with a .lbf extension. Obviously my computer can't recognize the file, and since my G2 is bricked I can't open it up there and copy my files back on to the computer.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm wondering if I go to the AT&T store if they have some way of extracting the data.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
We are working on a pricing structure for one of our software systems that we are going to strip all of the extras off of it, and sell it at about half price as a basic program. I am looking for a name other than "Lite/Light" to call it... Any ideas?

Express

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
We are working on a pricing structure for one of our software systems that we are going to strip all of the extras off of it, and sell it at about half price as a basic program. I am looking for a name other than "Lite/Light" to call it... Any ideas?

Essentials, or something such as this.

Calling it light, or lite sends the message it's stripped down garbage. Instead, send the message that it's simply what they need, without the fancy bells and whistles (without actually saying that).

People never like being told, well...we understand you cannot afford this Rolex, but this Casio is JUST as good (when they KNOW it's not).

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 02:43 PM)
Essentials, or something such as this.

Calling it light, or lite sends the message it's stripped down garbage. Instead, send the message that it's simply what they need, without the fancy bells and whistles (without actually saying that).

People never like being told, well...we understand you cannot afford this Rolex, but this Casio is JUST as good (when they KNOW it's not).

Full disclosure, our software is really damned expensive. We do have price sensitive firms who can't afford it, but it the best stuff on the street. This idea has come out of losing those firms as sales. They pitched it as Lite, but I really hated that name.

I do like Essentials as well as express.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
Full disclosure, our software is really damned expensive. We do have price sensitive firms who can't afford it, but it the best stuff on the street. This idea has come out of losing those firms as sales. They pitched it as Lite, but I really hated that name.

Corporate version has been used for this as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 17, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)

AutoCAD has "LT"

I've seen a lot of tiering follow: express/start, standard, premium or premier, professional or enterprise labeling on other CAD software and video management software.

Finally had to take the hit on getting a new iPhone. The 5 was dead, and then to add insult to injury, I left it in a rental car.

Already had a 6+ for work...was having a tough time choosing between the 6 and the 6+....figured if I am already carrying the 6+ around most of the time I may as well just get the same size again.

I have 14 days to change my mind, so I guess we will see what happens.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 21, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
Two phones? Personal preference for that? I can't stand carrying an extra phone during my on call rotation.

Yeah, I get uncomfortable keeping the crap my friends send to my personal phone on my work phone...not worth the risk.

Well, no one had any advice on how to recover my LG G2 backup file, so I just decided to go in to Best Buy, but a $650 LG G3, headed over to Chilis for dinner w/ my laptop and restored my backup file on the G2. Then I copied all the files off the phone on my laptop, factory reset the phone, and brought it back to Best Buy 2 hours later. Easy.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 21, 2015 -> 05:52 PM)
Two phones? Personal preference for that? I can't stand carrying an extra phone during my on call rotation.

My work offered me a phone 3 weeks after I renewed my contract. I usually don't carry both phones, but it is a nice option because one is sprint, the other is verizon, so I get way fewer dead spots having the two options.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2015 -> 11:31 AM)
Out of curiosity, who knows anything about Lync? Besides being a message program, does it have any other functions, such as keystroke tracking? Someone told me this, but I am not finding anything that verifies it.

I know a little about it, but I've never seen that feature.