Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 02:14 PM)
The watch market is a different kind of beast...

Personally, I have little interest in the smart watch category, but 300-500$ isn't very expensive for a watch, either, especially if it's made nicely, and this appears to be made very nicely.

The battery life on all of these watches are abysmal, even the ones that are far more limited than Apple's...but they're also doing a hell of a lot more than a standard watch does...but that being said, I don't need my watch to do much, it's jewelry.

300 bucks is a bottom rung watch for this target market. 1,000 is probably average.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
The battery life at least makes sense compared to manual watches, though, where you have to wind every morning. But winding is a little easier than charging for hours.

But totally agree on watch market. This isn't replacing a phone...it's replacing a watch.

They make automatic winders for watches, so its still a b****. People who are in to watches own these and their watches are super expensive compared to this piece.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
Well put:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-regul...dium=socialflow

edit: also, the best watch I ever had was that super mario bros 3 watch. Best thing ever for an 8 year old. Anyone spending more than about $100 bucks on a watch needs to reevaluate their life.

I disagree with the bolded immensely however the author of that article hit on something that makes more sense, spending a lot of money on a DISPOSABLE watch is insane. Most hight quality watches last forever and can be passed down for generations if you want to. My Rolex wont ever be "old technology" like this version of a watch will be.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 06:04 PM)
I disagree with the bolded immensely however the author of that article hit on something that makes more sense, spending a lot of money on a DISPOSABLE watch is insane. Most hight quality watches last forever and can be passed down for generations if you want to. My Rolex wont ever be "old technology" like this version of a watch will be.

Yeah this is a good point. People who buy a 5k+ watch are expecting to own it for at least 20 years. This is 10k for...2 years?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 06:04 PM)

I found that post hilarious, I wear a GMTII, coke bezel, and if he thinks more than 100$ on a watch is a crazy, his head would explode if he saw the price tag on my watch.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)
They make automatic winders for watches, so its still a b****. People who are in to watches own these and their watches are super expensive compared to this piece.

A lot of newer watches don't require this. I almost never manually wind my watch, it does it through motion, I'm sure your watch does this also.

You wear a GMT or a Sub?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 06:53 PM)
I found that post hilarious, I wear a GMTII, coke bezel, and if he thinks more than 100$ on a watch is a crazy, his head would explode if he saw the price tag on my watch.

It was part tongue and cheek. I'm not knocking your guys' enjoyment of it, I just couldn't get to that mental state. I could be given a 20k watch and wouldn't care. I don't have a need for it, I don't look for it on other people, etc. To me it's akin to buying the 15k apple watch when the 350 version is the same absent some flair.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
A lot of newer watches don't require this. I almost never manually wind my watch, it does it through motion, I'm sure your watch does this also.

You wear a GMT or a Sub?

Still quite a bit do, I think nostalgia plays quite well in that market.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 9, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)

You wear a GMT or a Sub?

Mine is a newer Sub so it doesnt require it, but I have friends that love the vintage stuff that require winding.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)
I am really intrigued by this product

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JCE14AU/ref=wl...L10ER&psc=1

Wow that's really cool actually. My aunt just bought a really nice house and she wants me to help her buy all her electronic needs and I'll pitch this to her as an idea. Her new place is just littered with can lighting.

Here is a review video.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 10, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
Wow that's really cool actually. My aunt just bought a really nice house and she wants me to help her buy all her electronic needs and I'll pitch this to her as an idea. Her new place is just littered with can lighting.

Here is a review video.

Man, I may buy the two light set and play around with it.

I would be concerned about the sound quality, that's a lot of metal the sound would be bouncing off of. If they came up with a design to minimize that impact then it's a pretty great idea.

And if they could replace your satellite speakers in a 7.2 layout that would be really cool, but not sure how well they would play into that setup especially in regards to placement.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 11, 2015 -> 01:11 AM)
I would be concerned about the sound quality, that's a lot of metal the sound would be bouncing off of. If they came up with a design to minimize that impact then it's a pretty great idea.

And if they could replace your satellite speakers in a 7.2 layout that would be really cool, but not sure how well they would play into that setup especially in regards to placement.

Reviews say its good, but I will report back when I receive them. I dont think its supposed to replace anything but the typical bluetooth speaker.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess this can go in the tech thread:

Amazon Dash:

https://www.amazon.com/oc/dash-button/ref=b...pf_rd_i=desktop

Get a little button, put it in one of the rooms of your house, press it when stock of an item gets low and it'll buy it automatically from Amazon. Seems like a cool idea until you remember that buying a product on your phone takes approx 20 seconds these days.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 1, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
I guess this can go in the tech thread:

Amazon Dash:

https://www.amazon.com/oc/dash-button/ref=b...pf_rd_i=desktop

Get a little button, put it in one of the rooms of your house, press it when stock of an item gets low and it'll buy it automatically from Amazon. Seems like a cool idea until you remember that buying a product on your phone takes approx 20 seconds these days.

I seriously thought this was an April Fools joke. Maybe it's because I saw it today.

Edited by chw42