Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 08:42 PM)
I swear, you'd think my house was coated with lead-paint. My Chromecast about 40 feet away from the router can't get a signal. Looks like I am going to have to hook up our booster again and take slower speeds to get full coverage in the house. Ugh. I hate to bottleneck this thing, but it seems I have no choice. My next investment may be in a Powerline Adapter for my PS4. They run about $40 on Amazon.

What type of router do you have? That seems pretty terrible.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 08:42 PM)
I swear, you'd think my house was coated with lead-paint. My Chromecast about 40 feet away from the router can't get a signal. Looks like I am going to have to hook up our booster again and take slower speeds to get full coverage in the house. Ugh. I hate to bottleneck this thing, but it seems I have no choice. My next investment may be in a Powerline Adapter for my PS4. They run about $40 on Amazon.

Do you live in an older house? Some of those older houses were built with mesh net walls that were plastered, these interfere with wireless signals.

The only thing I can think of is his house is full of metal/pipes/mesh netting and it's interfering with his signal. Either that, of he's using a router that just isn't very powerful.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)
Do you live in an older house? Some of those older houses were built with mesh net walls that were plastered, these interfere with wireless signals.

The only thing I can think of is his house is full of metal/pipes/mesh netting and it's interfering with his signal. Either that, of he's using a router that just isn't very powerful.

My house is 1883 and it flows fine. I am thinking maybe the router is behind copper pipes or something.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
My house is 1883 and it flows fine. I am thinking maybe the router is behind copper pipes or something.

Your house was most likely remodeled since its that old, you probably have drywall.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 07:42 PM)

Instead of buying all that s***, save your money and move out?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 11:20 AM)

I think it could be our central air vent system through the walls/ceilings that is hurting the signal I guess? I got the booster hooked up now, so our signal is back to where it was, and our speeds are better than we were on our s***ty old G300 router, but I know I am not getting the full power of my AC1750 router, not even close.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife hates to spend money on cell phones and hangs onto hers for years past their useful date. We are on T-Mo and have had nothing but great service and coverage for years, thus, not looking to change. Any advice on a mid price phone?

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:45 AM)
My wife hates to spend money on cell phones and hangs onto hers for years past their useful date. We are on T-Mo and have had nothing but great service and coverage for years, thus, not looking to change. Any advice on a mid price phone?

Motorola just released the new Moto G. $220 off-contract for a phone with fairly decent specs (5 inch 720P screen, quad core processor, 2 GB RAM, LTE support, decent camera, etc.).

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-g

Thank you. I will check that out. Her birthday is coming and I'm really, really, tired of listening to her frustration with the phone. She gets even more frustrated comparing features of phones.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)
Moto G is an excellent option that is affordable but not so underpowered that it will frustrate you now or in a couple years.

Yup, the $220 version is the way to go here IMO. That $180 version with 1 GB of RAM and only 8 GB of storage seems a bit underwhelming.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)

The vulnerability is deep in the OS, the MMS method is only one of several potential attack vectors. It could be executed via browsers as well (other than Firefox, according to the guy who found the hole), it's just that the MMS method is the easiest way to target a particular person.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 06:07 AM)
Anyone else download Windows 10 yet? Mine just finished installing a few minutes ago. Looks pretty slick.

I'll be downloading after work. I don't do too much extensive stuff on my home laptop. Just want easy navigation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Anyone know if it would be worth upgrading 6 year old windows 7 laptops? Like would they get even slower?

That's exactly what I did. This laptop was bought in summer of 2009. I wouldn't say it's any slower on Win 10 vs. Win 7. It may even be slightly faster, but I haven't noticed much change either way in terms of speed.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
I am flying Southwest today and I am hoping to stream the Sox game on their WiFi while I am in air. Would I be liable in anyway?

Their wifi was so slow when I tried doing it a few months ago, it wouldn't work. I just used the audio feed. They do have a game in flight you can watch but I doubt it'd be the Sox.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
I am flying Southwest today and I am hoping to stream the Sox game on their WiFi while I am in air. Would I be liable in anyway?

Eh, streaming is throttled down so far you probably wouldnt be able to get it, unless its the game on Fox.

So I've got a big bug with Windows 10 right now. It may not be from Windows 10, it may be from the backup utility I downloaded right before I upgraded to 10 as a "just in case" option to revert back to my Windows 7 Ultimate.

Every time I right click on something that isn't a program, the system hangs and "Windows Explorer" crashes. I've watched many Youtube videos, downloaded ShellExView and disabled a couple dozen different things, I've deleted some registry values that people have said to delete, I've downloaded some software to fix it. I can't f***ing solve this and it's a problem. I'm running a scan right now on my computer via a Windows 10 message board topic. A Windows rep replied to a guy having a similar issue and was told to run this scan in the cmd prompt and then restart the computer. If that fails, I'm just going to revert back to Windows 7 and throw a bird up to Windows 10. It's a shame because I really like the aesthetics.