Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 06:05 AM)
I didn't install it yesterday. Maybe I should wait to make sure there are no bugs for most other people.

This is exactly where I am at. When it comes to Windows, no way am I a first day guy. You know there will be problems, let those problems get fixed first.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you can have two different TV providers in the same household? We currently have Directv and are on contract until next July. We might be moving into a house with someone else who has Charter Cable and don't want to make them change providers, is it possible to get DirecTv installed and only ran to the basement or is that not allowed?

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 05:27 PM)
Does anyone know if you can have two different TV providers in the same household? We currently have Directv and are on contract until next July. We might be moving into a house with someone else who has Charter Cable and don't want to make them change providers, is it possible to get DirecTv installed and only ran to the basement or is that not allowed?

What is the penalty for breaking the contract?

Seems like it would be less than keeping the service for 10 additional months for no reason.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 07:27 PM)

What wouldnt be allowed exactly? You can have all the TV providers if you want. Its all about how many holes you want punched in the wall.

Anyone have a GoPro? Thinking about picking one up for a vacation. I don't really do any action sports other than biking. But I thought it might be cool to take to amusment parks, the beach, bike rides, hikes, etc. I don't know much about them. The bare bones option is $130, the top of the line is $500, plus accessories. I assume there's quite a leap in functionality between the two, but I wonder if that really matters to an amateur user like me.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 24, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
Anyone have a GoPro? Thinking about picking one up for a vacation. I don't really do any action sports other than biking. But I thought it might be cool to take to amusment parks, the beach, bike rides, hikes, etc. I don't know much about them. The bare bones option is $130, the top of the line is $500, plus accessories. I assume there's quite a leap in functionality between the two, but I wonder if that really matters to an amateur user like me.

Nah, the $130 should be fine for you. A friend of mine has it, it's as advertised.

• 3 weeks later...

Time to buy a new laptop. Got my last one about 7-8 years ago and it's on it's last legs.

Last one had Windows 7. I like it, but I figure if I want my new laptop to last 5+ years, Windows 7 probably isn't still going to be supported by then.

So I need either Windows 8 or 10. I've heard nothing but terrible things about 8 so am I correct in assuming that it's worth paying a bit more to get one with 10?

I don't do a ton of stuff with the laptop, but I'd like a processor with at least 2.0 GHz speed and at least 6 GB RAM.

I've seen an HP that meets this criteria for $500. Any better deals out there?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 03:13 PM)
The iPhone 6s, to me, is definitely not worth the upgrade. They barely changed anything.

Force touch is a really great addition, but other than that, it's a run of the mill spec bump. Then again, that's what most smartphones are these days, and what the S series always is.

I can't wait to go back to the iphone with 6s. The HTC One experience was miserable. All of the cool things were of such marginal use and wore out after the first two months. The combo of sprint + htc one probably made things worse, but the things phones should be able to do pretty easily were hard for my phone (had 2 of them after one broke).

SO yeah, i'm now the old person who just wants the things he knows and can trust.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
I can't wait to go back to the iphone with 6s. The HTC One experience was miserable. All of the cool things were of such marginal use and wore out after the first two months. The combo of sprint + htc one probably made things worse, but the things phones should be able to do pretty easily were hard for my phone (had 2 of them after one broke).

SO yeah, i'm now the old person who just wants the things he knows and can trust.

That's how I am these days. Growing up, I was a Commodore 64/Amiga kid and a hacker at heart, which eventually gave way to earning a living on computers and moving to PC's. It wasn't until I was older and no longer had time to take computers apart, hack them, tinker with them, install incredibly unstable beta software on them (before virtual machines existed) that I moved over to Apple...

I still tinker from time to time, but unlike in my younger years, it quickly grows tiring and I just wipe it and go back to stock...I don't even bother jailbreaking these days, I just don't care anymore...I just want my devices to do a few basic things and do them well.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 07:43 AM)

I too look forward to going back to my iphone in about a month (we'll see what the deals are) from my Samsung. I just think the Apple is less glitchy then the Android and I look forward to the smoothness of the phone. Like you, I'm too old to tinker around with all the little crap (nor do I care). If I was still in high school or college and not married with kids, I'd probably still tinker with the stuff, but priorities change and I just want something that works with ease.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
I too look forward to going back to my iphone in about a month (we'll see what the deals are) from my Samsung. I just think the Apple is less glitchy then the Android and I look forward to the smoothness of the phone. Like you, I'm too old to tinker around with all the little crap (nor do I care).

My iPhone 6 is so much smoother than my S3 was.

That being said, 9 months in, it's far less smooth than it was. I fear that it will reach S3 territory soon.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)

That being said, 9 months in, it's far less smooth than it was. I fear that it will reach S3 territory soon.

I do worry about this, as I've heard more of that talk. In my head, my iphone would be like the iphone 4 i had for 3 ears and worked wonderfully with great battery life.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 09:19 AM)
I do worry about this, as I've heard more of that talk. In my head, my iphone would be like the iphone 4 i had for 3 ears and worked wonderfully with great battery life.

I still use my old iphone 4 (work phone) as a baby monitor. That thing was an amazing phone. I remember when I got the 4s (my first personal iphone), I was like, what a piece of crap. Battery life was the pits.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
ugh, purple camera, awful mms texting issues, incredible battery drainage (I'm typically at 60% by time I get to office just from using Twitter on train)

I love the speakers and audio on my M8 HTC. It does get really hot at times and go through battery in insane amounts. I like my Galaxy S5 much better overall.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 10:53 AM)

iOS9 will fix it. I've been beta testing iOS9 for a few months now, and just installed the golden master a few days ago...it's fast, and finally fixed 3rd party keyboard issues, as well as speeding up everything on newer and older devices.

Oh, and iOS 9 battery life is the best I've ever seen from Apple...it's insanely efficient.

Edited by Y2HH

i just want to complain about Sprint because f*** them. My connection has been so bad for the last month, it goes from 1x to LTE to 3G back and forth all day long. Texting has been slow, videos buffer and take forever. I am so annoyed with them right now