Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
i just want to complain about Sprint because f*** them. My connection has been so bad for the last month, it goes from 1x to LTE to 3G back and forth all day long. Texting has been slow, videos buffer and take forever. I am so annoyed with them right now

I have had sprint forever and had just gotten used to their s***ty network apparently. About a year ago I got a phone for work through Verizon, and I can't believe how much better their network is. When my contract is up, f*** sprint.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
I have had sprint forever and had just gotten used to their s***ty network apparently. About a year ago I got a phone for work through Verizon, and I can't believe how much better their network is. When my contract is up, f*** sprint.

I was on AT&T for ~3 years through work, then tried T-Mobile for a couple months to see how a cheap option would work while moving, and have had far fewer issues now that on Verizon.

T-Mobile is good in certain cities, and bad in others...T-Mobile has no Band 12 spectrum in Chicago, so their signal indoors will be almost non-existant, since band12 is what penetrates walls. Where T-Mobile is ALWAYS bad is outside of major areas...if you travel, or drive places, or tend to go to remote locations, T-Mobile isn't for you.

AT&T & Verizon have the biggest networks, and Verizon edges even AT&T in coverage. Go up to door county with AT&T, for example...almost no signal, and if you do get any, it's Edge...while my Verizon phone continues working perfectly.

If I could get off of Verizon and use T-Mobile, I would, but until they expand that network and gain a lot of band12 spectrum around the country, it's never going to happen.

Edited by Y2HH

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Knuckles @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
Didn't apple experiment with the material (forget the name of it) but they used it on the glass for their iphone camera?

Its a racket.

Replacement through Apple is 109 in store which takes a week to schedule

Insurance through Verizon is 200 (really only a good deal for replacement of lost phone)

Local "we fix" is 150

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
Getting new iphone today, leasing through apple and staying on sprint. Doing this for my wife, but like the fact that I can take us to verizon at any time if I find that more problems were with htc one one sprint vs. sprint itself.

To take it to Verizon, you have to pay the rest of the lease though, right? Is their also a contract breakage or do you just have to pay off the lease (and thus just own the phone)?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
To take it to Verizon, you have to pay the rest of the lease though, right? Is their also a contract breakage or do you just have to pay off the lease (and thus just own the phone)?

No, my lease is through Apple, and verizon is also CDMA. I am no longer on contract with sprint so can leave at any time.

MY kid has an iphone... eating data like there is no tomorrow. He swears he only uses when connected to wi-FI.

I go into this phone and find a setting that has all of his apps selected to use data plan instead of wi-fi. Is this really possible and is this the default setting.

I am an android person and it seemed really shady to me and the i[phone seems to like to default to the data plan rather than wi-fi.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 11:57 AM)
MY kid has an iphone... eating data like there is no tomorrow. He swears he only uses when connected to wi-FI.

I go into this phone and find a setting that has all of his apps selected to use data plan instead of wi-fi. Is this really possible and is this the default setting.

I am an android person and it seemed really shady to me and the i[phone seems to like to default to the data plan rather than wi-fi.

Its been national news.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/apple-ios-9-wi...vour-your-data/

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 12:57 PM)

If he uses Facebook, you have to disable autoplay of videos in the settings or THAT will eat data like mad.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 30, 2015 -> 02:00 PM)
Otterboxes are like putting your iphone in a briefcase and saying it protects it. Sure it does, but who the hell wants to carry that around?

same. I use a very slim case that protects the phone but not so much the screen when dropped flat.