Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)
Is that Onkyo ARC compatible? And my dumb question, are older HDMI cables capable of ARC? Maybe the cables need upgrading?

It is, and I thought about the cable but I just recently got a batch of Amazon Basics cables and they all say they're ARC compatible. Maybe I got an old one for some reason, who knows.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
It is, and I thought about the cable but I just recently got a batch of Amazon Basics cables and they all say they're ARC compatible. Maybe I got an old one for some reason, who knows.

Sometimes only certain HMDI ports on the TV are ARC compatible. You should pull up your TV model's manual online or check AVS forums.

EDIT: If your TV has Android TV, the recent software upgrade has created your exact issue for some folks who own the TV model I have.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 03:22 PM)
Sometimes only certain HMDI ports on the TV are ARC compatible. You should pull up your TV model's manual online or check AVS forums.

EDIT: If your TV has Android TV, the recent software upgrade has created your exact issue for some folks who own the TV model I have.

I checked and it's on the right ARC port. And no android tv.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 17, 2017 -> 04:00 PM)
I checked and it's on the right ARC port. And no android tv.

Try to put everything into tv and then optical to receiver. In your audio settings in the tv menu there should be an option where optical is the audio output instead of tv speakers and it should have a 5.1 or 7.2 option

So, I spent 1.5 hours on this over the weekend trying to find a solution to my home theater problem. The easiest fix was the most obvious one: I unplugged the receiver for a few minutes and then plugged it back in and it suddenly worked. Apparently hitting the power button wasn't resetting everything. ARC problem is now fixed.

Good tip in the future: with electronics, just power down and reset!

Power-cycling is Step 1 of every troubleshooting sequence!

Hitting the power button on the front still leaves power coming into the unit and most likely a lot of the board energized, including the memory. Pulling the power and letting it sit for ~30 seconds or so to dissipate any stored charge in the capacitors makes sure the memory is wiped and everything is fully reset.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 23, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
Power-cycling is Step 1 of every troubleshooting sequence!

Hitting the power button on the front still leaves power coming into the unit and most likely a lot of the board energized, including the memory. Pulling the power and letting it sit for ~30 seconds or so to dissipate any stored charge in the capacitors makes sure the memory is wiped and everything is fully reset.

Literally everything. I make sure my family has done this for every problem before they call me.

My LED TV suddenly screwed up yesterday. Everything is kind of blurry as everything seems to be slow and the pictures drag. Like as I watching the tennis, as they ran across the court, there would be lines following them as their old position stayed on the screen. Even when I use the menu screen, the old cursor stays on the screen for a few seconds.

Anybody ever had a problem like that? I called Samsung and a tech is supposed to call me back in the next day. I did buy a protection plan when I first bought it, but that was only 15 months ago, so I hope Samsung still has a warranty on it.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 30, 2017 -> 04:32 PM)
My LED TV suddenly screwed up yesterday. Everything is kind of blurry as everything seems to be slow and the pictures drag. Like as I watching the tennis, as they ran across the court, there would be lines following them as their old position stayed on the screen. Even when I use the menu screen, the old cursor stays on the screen for a few seconds.

Anybody ever had a problem like that? I called Samsung and a tech is supposed to call me back in the next day. I did buy a protection plan when I first bought it, but that was only 15 months ago, so I hope Samsung still has a warranty on it.

Get your TVs at Costco, bro.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
They offer a complimentary one year warranty on top of the manufacturer's warranty. I assume that's what he is referring to.

I guess, but littlehurt said in his post that he bought the protection plan and the purchase was 15 months ago

The complimentary 1 year warranty runs after the purchased warranty runs out? Or concurrently?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)
I guess, but littlehurt said in his post that he bought the protection plan and the purchase was 15 months ago

The complimentary 1 year warranty runs after the purchased warranty runs out? Or concurrently?

They extend the manufacturer's warranty to 2 years instead of 1 on all electronics except tablets.

https://www.costco.com/concierge.html

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
They extend the manufacturer's warranty to 2 years instead of 1 on all electronics except tablets.

https://www.costco.com/concierge.html

Nice, I definitely fall in that window. Maybe I should have called Costco first instead of Samsung, still waiting to hear back.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 31, 2017 -> 11:15 AM)

The complimentary 1 year warranty runs after the manufacture's warranty, but before the extended warranty The extended warranty is 3 years. So if he did buy the protection plan, then he's covered for 5 years. If he paid for the TV with his Costco AMEX card, then he has 6 years of protection.

Year 1 - Manufacturer

Year 2 - Costco Concierge

Year 3 - SquareTrade

Year 4 - SquareTrade

Year 5 - SqaureTrade

Year 6 - American Express (now Citi Visa, which also gives you a 7th year)

Either way, he's protected well beyond 15 months.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 07:04 AM)
Yeah it is. A factory reset did nothing?

Nope. Neither did the good old unplug it, plug it back in. Happened just in the middle of the tennis match Sunday, figured it was my DVR recording, but soon realized every option on the TV was messed up. Still waiting to hear back from the expert technician or whatever.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Nope. Neither did the good old unplug it, plug it back in. Happened just in the middle of the tennis match Sunday, figured it was my DVR recording, but soon realized every option on the TV was messed up. Still waiting to hear back from the expert technician or whatever.

The rendering chipset is going bad. It'd probably require a logic board replacement...I had this happen to my Vizio about a year ago -- I called them and played kinda stupid on the phone...they replaced my TV for free and it was out of warranty.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 1, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
The rendering chipset is going bad. It'd probably require a logic board replacement...I had this happen to my Vizio about a year ago -- I called them and played kinda stupid on the phone...they replaced my TV for free and it was out of warranty.

Interesting. Mine is covered under my Costco warranty, now I just have to wait for their service contractors to come out and look at it. Good thing I'm not hosting a SB party though.

I just wish I didn't waste my time with the Samsung call center. I understand why they out-source those jobs, but between the lack of English and the loud noises of all the other technicians in the room, it was not a pleasant experience.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2017 -> 08:04 AM)
Interesting. Mine is covered under my Costco warranty, now I just have to wait for their service contractors to come out and look at it. Good thing I'm not hosting a SB party though.

I just wish I didn't waste my time with the Samsung call center. I understand why they out-source those jobs, but between the lack of English and the loud noises of all the other technicians in the room, it was not a pleasant experience.

Yeah the Samsung product is good, service is pretty bad. I like costco for that reason. I've bought my most expensive TV's there or Amazon, where I know there is a 3rd party thats reliable.

Anyone have a good recommendation for photo management software? I was a big Picassa user because I loved that it took all of my photos and video, arranged in a horribly unorganized folder/file system, into a central place where everything was saved chronologically. Now that Google stopped supporting Picassa, it's giving me more and more issues and become nearly unusable.

I have tens of thousands of photos, camcorder videos, gopro videos, etc. I just want a central place to look at my photos on a timeline that also doesn't require me to upload 1tb or more of data to the cloud.