Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
Been talking about it for years...finally pulled the trigger and cut the cord.

Bought some Apple TV units, a few HDTV antennas, ordered a faster modem, bumped up internet speed to 100 mbs, signed up for Sling TV Orange + Blue with the Sports adder, Netflix, HBO Now, MLB At Bat, and may also do NFL Game Pass.

Only downside is I won't be able to watch full Bears games live...have to rely on Red Zone channel and then if I get Game Pass, I can watch the full game on demand.

Any reason why you didn't choose to save several hundreds of dollars and just get Chromecasts instead?

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
Any reason why you didn't choose to save several hundreds of dollars and just get Chromecasts instead?

Yeah, everything I own is basically in the Apple ecosystem. Was something to consider, but bit the bullet and spent an extra couple hundred because I've owned Apple TVs for years and am familiar with them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
Yeah, everything I own is basically in the Apple ecosystem. Was something to consider, but bit the bullet and spent an extra couple hundred because I've owned Apple TVs for years and am familiar with them.

I wish Apple TV had Amazon Video app. That's why I also have a Fire Stick.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)

The user experience on Apple TV is much better as well. The fire stick etc is good, but not quite as good IMO

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 11:46 AM)
Been talking about it for years...finally pulled the trigger and cut the cord.

Bought some Apple TV units, a few HDTV antennas, ordered a faster modem, bumped up internet speed to 100 mbs, signed up for Sling TV Orange + Blue with the Sports adder, Netflix, HBO Now, MLB At Bat, and may also do NFL Game Pass.

Only downside is I won't be able to watch full Bears games live...have to rely on Red Zone channel and then if I get Game Pass, I can watch the full game on demand.

I cut the cord for about 8 months but then signed back up for directv. Will probably cut again once my two years are up. The Youtube TV seems like it has everything I want.

I'm wondering with all of the packages you bought in addition to the added internet speed, are you going to see that much in savings?

Thanks

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 01:00 PM)
I cut the cord for about 8 months but then signed back up for directv. Will probably cut again once my two years are up. The Youtube TV seems like it has everything I want.

I'm wondering with all of the packages you bought in addition to the added internet speed, are you going to see that much in savings?

Thanks

Joe,

Good question...

So previously, with a fairly basic programming package, but with many of the "bells and whistles" from the technology standpoint, I was generally paying about $180/mo. This did NOT include internet, which had risen to $78 a month from my cable provider after an earlier honeymoon rate of $60 or so. The $180 was for the Choice package, I want to say, plus HD DVR, whole home wireless with 4 TVs. They really beat you up with all the equipment fees and whatnot. Then I would order the Extra Innings package as well as the Sunday Ticket package on top of that, so my bill was almost never less than $200/mo. Usually closer to $300/mo if you count internet.

I also was a Netflix subscriber already, and owned 1 Apple TV unit.

With the new setup, I am looking at $50 on Sling, $15 for HBO Now, $10 for Netflix, $83 for faster internet, and possibly $100 annually for NFL Game Pass and whatever the annual cost is for MLB At Bat. For DirecTV's Extra Innings package, it was something like $180/year.

That ends up being $165-180/mo after the MLB and NFL packages are added, including internet.

So the monthly savings will probably be in the range of $75-125 in any given month.

The big step was in the form of the initial investments into the upgraded equipment, such as the Apple TV units, two antennas, and a faster modem and router. That stuff, out of pocket, ends up being about $650.

So the payback period is going to probably be about 6-8 months on the equipment. Then you figure you enjoy another 2.5 - 3.5 years of savings until you've got to spring for upgrades again.

Did you evaluate switching providers? I know every location is different, but I was on Uverse for about 4 years paying approximately $100 / month (whole home DVR with 3 receivers total) and had internet (albeit, speeds were not fantastic...24mb/s maximum). Every year they would do a good job of getting me back to my price (when my year contract was up...albeit I had to spend a bit of time on the online chat or phone to get them to whack the price with me always being honest...I am only quitting because your fees are too high and I would like to stay but can't justifying paying more then X. Almost every time they magically got me at the same point (last year they actually lowered my price).

I actually switched providers this weekend to a cable provider and after taxes am now paying $110 a month (includes TV...whole home DVR in 3 rooms) but internet speeds which are capped at 100 mb/s. Price fixed for 2 years and comes with $100 gift card. I also get home service for free as part of it, but I could care less about that piece of the equation (just needed for the "bundle" savings).

No installation fees, etc, for these, albeit, having to switch meant I needed to be home for the install. I'd love to cut the chord and just go ala carte, but whenever I've looked at the price of just those streaming packages and then the nonbundled high speed internet costs, I just can't get around it, since I would want a "sling" like service on-top of it because I need to watch my sports live. I've made my own unscientific conclusion that chord cutting was not designed for hard core sports fans (or at least that is what I always tell my wife who honestly would be fine if we had no tv at all).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 03:52 PM)
Did you evaluate switching providers? I know every location is different, but I was on Uverse for about 4 years paying approximately $100 / month (whole home DVR with 3 receivers total) and had internet (albeit, speeds were not fantastic...24mb/s maximum). Every year they would do a good job of getting me back to my price (when my year contract was up...albeit I had to spend a bit of time on the online chat or phone to get them to whack the price with me always being honest...I am only quitting because your fees are too high and I would like to stay but can't justifying paying more then X. Almost every time they magically got me at the same point (last year they actually lowered my price).

I actually switched providers this weekend to a cable provider and after taxes am now paying $110 a month (includes TV...whole home DVR in 3 rooms) but internet speeds which are capped at 100 mb/s. Price fixed for 2 years and comes with $100 gift card. I also get home service for free as part of it, but I could care less about that piece of the equation (just needed for the "bundle" savings).

No installation fees, etc, for these, albeit, having to switch meant I needed to be home for the install. I'd love to cut the chord and just go ala carte, but whenever I've looked at the price of just those streaming packages and then the nonbundled high speed internet costs, I just can't get around it, since I would want a "sling" like service on-top of it because I need to watch my sports live. I've made my own unscientific conclusion that chord cutting was not designed for hard core sports fans (or at least that is what I always tell my wife who honestly would be fine if we had no tv at all).

Of course. In fact, DirecTV called me today to try and get me to come back already. "What will it take?"

I said nothing personal, but there is nothing you can do to convince me to remain your customer. The guy says "Oh I disagree. There is a LOT I can do."

I said no there isn't. Have a wonderful evening. And hung up.

At this point, it's not even about money anymore. It's about having to deal with these idiots calling me all the time, mailing me crap all the time, having to constantly upgrade equipment and have installation people come to the house, etc. I decided I'd rather just deal with it on my own through a device and the apps.

If it weren't for Sunday Ticket I would have done this 2 years ago, but I suspect I will be just fine now with RedZone and Game Pass.

We really need to cut the cord with our Comcast cable, I'm embarrassed to admit how much we pay right now. All I really need is sports, and most of those channels seem available with Sling. And all the kids shows are on Amazon which we already have.

What's the best internet company to use in Chicago? If we do pull the trigger, need to make sure the internet speed is on point.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 5, 2017 -> 08:26 AM)
We really need to cut the cord with our Comcast cable, I'm embarrassed to admit how much we pay right now. All I really need is sports, and most of those channels seem available with Sling. And all the kids shows are on Amazon which we already have.

What's the best internet company to use in Chicago? If we do pull the trigger, need to make sure the internet speed is on point.

IF, and that's a big IF, you can, get Webpass. But it's so limited right now.

I've used RCN in the past, and they sucked. Comcast was way better IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 5, 2017 -> 06:26 AM)

I obviously don't live there, but when I called to upgrade to 100 mbs and give them the info on my modem, they were like "wow, you must have a lot of devices!"

I'm about a week into this now and besides a couple instances where sling froze, we haven't had issues. I'm pretty happy with the decision at this point. The ultimate test will be next Sunday, when I have to watch football on the Red Zone channel instead of Sunday Ticket, but I suspect I will survive. Got hooked up with a free NFL Game Pass too as my best friend is a Bears season ticket holder and they provide complimentary access to that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 5, 2017 -> 08:26 AM)

Comcast is the best internet. Thats the rub

Any photogs on the board? I'm debating whether to update my DSLR. I have a Nikon D5000 that I bought 8 years ago. I started reading reviews of some of the newer models and also the mirrorless cameras, so now i'm down the rabbit hole of maybe buying something new. The upgrades seem to be mostly tech upgrades like better autofocusing systems or a touchscreen. Seems like from an image quality perspective there may be a slight bump but not noticeable unless i'm printing off large prints (which I don't do often and when I do they look fine).

I'm also debating jumping from Nikon to Canon or even Sony for their mirrorless camera. Problem is I have 3 Nikon lenses so I would have to start over if I jumped to another brand. I take a ton of photos of my kids and we travel a good amount. But I want to start taking more video and I think Canon DSLR's handle that better than the Nikon.

I'm also thinking about buying the new Tamron 18-400mm lens. That's an insane focal length range for one lens.