Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Oct 21, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
Are there any new Android 4G phones rumored for Sprint? I'm beyond ready to upgrade from my Android 1.6 phone, but the Evo's been out, going on 5 months now.

Isn't there a 4G Samsung phone available on Sprint?

I really like my Evo. Did the 2 batteries and charger from China for $9.70 thing to help alleviate the battery issue.

Scared to root but pretty satisfied with keeping it mostly stock and adding a bunch of apps.

As far as accessories, I put a Clarivue screen protector on it and use the leather HTC slip case which I like better than all those plastic cases.

QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 23, 2010 -> 03:21 PM)
I really like my Evo. Did the 2 batteries and charger from China for $9.70 thing to help alleviate the battery issue.

Scared to root but pretty satisfied with keeping it mostly stock and adding a bunch of apps.

As far as accessories, I put a Clarivue screen protector on it and use the leather HTC slip case which I like better than all those plastic cases.

I was equally scared to root but it was the best decision I've made with the phone. Free wireless tethering!

So I have to say, the new Apple Magic Trackpad is an absolute pleasure to use, and almost essential when using a large monitor. I bought one with my 27-inch iMac and it's just brilliant. Even though the magic mouse is also very nice, I don't think I'll ever use it, because the trackpad is just so much simpler.

magic trackpad

Secondly, I picked up a sony cybershot point and shoot camera the other day, as I have not had a camera since about my sophmore year in high school. Did a bit of research before buying, and am really happy with it so far. It has a really neat panoramic function and also works really well in low-light.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
Such open ended questions! What're you looking for? How much will you pay? etc.

Not really worried about price for the device. most of em don't seem too bad if you're a new customer and unless everyone here tells me to stay with T-Mobile...I'll be a new customer.

I have an old BB through work that is only for data. Then I have a fricken Razr as my phone. So I always have to carry around 2 devices. I finally got the approval to buy my own device and just have the firm reimburse me up to $50.00 for the data plan each month. Not sure if I should stay with BB or go with an Android based phone. Also I will probably get a family plan...so me and my wife can both get on something.

Thanks for any help!

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
Not really worried about price for the device. most of em don't seem too bad if you're a new customer and unless everyone here tells me to stay with T-Mobile...I'll be a new customer.

I have an old BB through work that is only for data. Then I have a fricken Razr as my phone. So I always have to carry around 2 devices. I finally got the approval to buy my own device and just have the firm reimburse me up to $50.00 for the data plan each month. Not sure if I should stay with BB or go with an Android based phone. Also I will probably get a family plan...so me and my wife can both get on something.

Thanks for any help!

You a pretty big guy? Reason I ask is that I have an EVO and it's a bigger smart phone but feels perfect in my large hands. And the phone is an absolute monster. 4G speeds are ridiculous. Android is highly customizable too if you're the kind of person that likes to tinker. It doesn't have a physical keyboard. I was worried about that coming from a BB but using swype blows away any smart phone physical keyboard.

Verizon is probably the best network overall and the best phone selection. I think T-Mobile has the best deals and some pretty decent phones, but their 3G network is pretty meh and they'll probably be behind the curve on 4G, too. I can't speak for AT&T's network quality because I haven't had them since I switched to T-Mobile, which was years ago before smartphones came out, and I wasn't impressed then, but that's pretty irrelevant now.

The iPhone is the iPhone, it's awesome and I'm sure if you get it you'll like it, but it's not the only "best" phone out there regardless of what the bizarre cult people will tell you. There's a lot of really, really sweet phones out right now and the last couple of years have been a really good time to shop. I'll go so far as to say if you buy just about any $400 phone (with the rebate/subsidy) you'll be impressed with it.

Talk to people about network quality in your area. This is the most import thing. The phone will be useless without the network.

AT&T happened to be solid here so I got an iPhone. But 3G is spotty in rural areas.

Any phone you get will amaze you and you won't be able to live without it so don't fret.

QUOTE (G&T @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 07:45 PM)
Talk to people about network quality in your area. This is the most import thing. The phone will be useless without the network.

AT&T happened to be solid here so I got an iPhone. But 3G is spotty in rural areas.

Any phone you get will amaze you and you won't be able to live without it so don't fret.

Have to agree on this one. You can get all the anecdotal evidence from others that you want, but what matters is how the network performs where you will use it. I hear countless stories about AT&T sucking, but in Vegas, it is very, very good. And of course, I think the iPhone is an outstanding device, especially with all the developer support they get, but I'm sure like others have said, any of these new phones you get will probably knock your socks off if you've been rolling with the old school equipment.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 09:34 PM)
Have to agree on this one. You can get all the anecdotal evidence from others that you want, but what matters is how the network performs where you will use it. I hear countless stories about AT&T sucking, but in Vegas, it is very, very good. And of course, I think the iPhone is an outstanding device, especially with all the developer support they get, but I'm sure like others have said, any of these new phones you get will probably knock your socks off if you've been rolling with the old school equipment.

$$$$

Where I live my network performance is outstanding - so all of those commercials really don't mean anything to me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 24, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
So I have to say, the new Apple Magic Trackpad is an absolute pleasure to use, and almost essential when using a large monitor. I bought one with my 27-inch iMac and it's just brilliant. Even though the magic mouse is also very nice, I don't think I'll ever use it, because the trackpad is just so much simpler.

magic trackpad

Secondly, I picked up a sony cybershot point and shoot camera the other day, as I have not had a camera since about my sophmore year in high school. Did a bit of research before buying, and am really happy with it so far. It has a really neat panoramic function and also works really well in low-light.

What was the model number on that camera?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 04:19 PM)
You a pretty big guy? Reason I ask is that I have an EVO and it's a bigger smart phone but feels perfect in my large hands. And the phone is an absolute monster. 4G speeds are ridiculous. Android is highly customizable too if you're the kind of person that likes to tinker. It doesn't have a physical keyboard. I was worried about that coming from a BB but using swype blows away any smart phone physical keyboard.

I was thinking I would like the optional keyboard so I was looking at the Epic or the BB torch. The only pro I see for the BB is our BES and not worrying about any exchange integration. I've seen a few people use swype...it looks pretty cool. Does it take some getting used to?

I have 2 friends that love the iphone and 2 that hated it and got rid of it. I also have a lot of attorneys that returned it right away.

Network coverage seems like I'd be ok with Verizon or AT&T. Sprint I'm not sure about.

Thanks all for the feedback.

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
I was thinking I would like the optional keyboard so I was looking at the Epic or the BB torch. The only pro I see for the BB is our BES and not worrying about any exchange integration. I've seen a few people use swype...it looks pretty cool. Does it take some getting used to?

I have 2 friends that love the iphone and 2 that hated it and got rid of it. I also have a lot of attorneys that returned it right away.

Network coverage seems like I'd be ok with Verizon or AT&T. Sprint I'm not sure about.

Thanks all for the feedback.

I've honestly never heard of somebody hating the iPhone, or any advanced phone for that matter

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 08:34 PM)

So true. I was just in SF last weekend for vacation and my iphone 3g literally wouldnt be able to render web pages or download emails fully. It was AWFUL. Here in Chicago I really dont have many problems with ATT much.

Anyway I just upgraded my iphone 3gs to an iphone 4 and its amazing how much brighter and clearer the screen is if you place them next to each other. Truly unreal.