Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
that is so stupid and pointless. Yet another reason why I am going Android

Not all Android devices are the same, not all use the same screws, either. You do realize that it's all manufacturer, right, and has nothing to do with software? Android is software, it's not hardware. People have installed Android on iPhone4's.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)
Not all Android devices are the same, not all use the same screws, either. You do realize that it's all manufacturer, right, and has nothing to do with software? Android is software, it's not hardware. People have installed Android on iPhone4's.

I meant more about Apple's absolute dictatorship style control over everything.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 01:12 PM)

Indeed. For instance, Motorola is not unlike Apple when it comes to being hacker-friendly. HTC is probably the way to go if you want less hardware restrictions. Doesn't hurt that they make fantastic hardware.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
I meant more about Apple's absolute dictatorship style control over everything.

That "control" is a mirage. They only have as much control as you give them.

If you want to do something with your Apple stuff, DO IT. It's not that hard. You can jailbreak their software, you can open up their phones, computers, pads and anything else they make and hack that, too.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
Indeed. For instance, Motorola is not unlike Apple when it comes to being hacker-friendly. HTC is probably the way to go if you want less hardware restrictions. Doesn't hurt that they make fantastic hardware.

I agree here, of all the Android devices I've played with, I found the HTC devices the best in hardware build/quality. As a matter of fact, I'd say they're the only ones close to Apple in terms of making awesome phones. Though I think the iPhone 4 build quality is far superior to their previous iterations, it's fragile (as it's mostly glass), but that's neither here nor there...most devices made of glass are fragile, even if it's gorilla glass.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
That "control" is a mirage. They only have as much control as you give them.

If you want to do something with your Apple stuff, DO IT. It's not that hard. You can jailbreak their software, you can open up their phones, computers, pads and anything else they make and hack that, too.

That voids the EULA and any sort of warranties, though.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
That voids the EULA and any sort of warranties, though.

Who cares about the EULA, and it only voids the warranty if you break it, but if you open any technology from any manufacturer and break it, it would void the warranty just the same.

I've brought jail broken iPhones into apple for warranty repair and just played the "I don't know what your talking about" card...and they replaced it. ;)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 22, 2011 -> 08:51 PM)
Huh?

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 21, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)

^^I don't get the point of that...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
After failing to buy Groupon a few weeks ago, the Google is launching its own version.

Honestly, I'm kinda happy...I've never been impresed with the Groupon's website, never seemed that up to date.

That dude is going to rue the day he turned down Google's $6 billion offer.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:04 AM)
That dude is going to rue the day he turned down Google's $6 billion offer.

Somehow I feel a tech bubble burst (Round 2) in the horizon when reading about Groupon, Facebook, etc.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:07 PM)
Somehow I feel a tech bubble burst (Round 2) in the horizon when reading about Groupon, Facebook, etc.

THis is an interesting point...because they certainly don't have the revenue to support their current supposed market values, but they also have much more sound and modern business models than pets.com.

There's also the muddying effect of the enormous sums of cash that the Federal Reserve has dumped into the market. I could be convinced either way on this one.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 11:07 AM)

I agree, these companies, although profitable, are way overvalued. Their predicted P/E ratios have to be 50+, which is absurd valuation.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)
I agree, these companies, although profitable, are way overvalued. Their predicted P/E ratios have to be 50+, which is absurd valuation.

Can't be a market bubble if they don't have stock, which they don't (yet). Groupon and Facebook can't cause a bubble when they aren't in the room. Furthermore, they are both in far better financial shape than a lot of the bubble causing companies were back in the Tech Wreck days of 1998-2000.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
Can't be a market bubble if they don't have stock, which they don't (yet). Groupon and Facebook can't cause a bubble when they aren't in the room. Furthermore, they are both in far better financial shape than a lot of the bubble causing companies were back in the Tech Wreck days of 1998-2000.

I never said it was a bubble in the Y2K sense, someone else did. I merely agreed that these privately held companies are already showing signs of massive overvalue.