Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

Looking to make sure I did this right or thought it through properly. I am an average user of technology, I know my way aroud the web, stumble from time to time on my wireless network at home but have four wireless (laptop, Blu-Ray, ipod Touch,and Wii) and four hard wired (2 desktops, Blu-Ray and DirectTV) all on a Cisco Router that is a year old. I do not have a Smart Phone but will be going this way shortly.

Anyway, my home network grew over the holidays with the new Blu-Ray players, Wii and the ipod touch joining our network. Previously after I connected my laptop I never used the wireless for anything as there was no need to.

I want to download movies and use Netflix and Vudu on the Blu Rays and Wii and they never load. I think it is my modem. I could download on DirectTV but that loads to the DVR where it resides and is not really streaming video like Netflix and VUDU.

My modem was AT&T and it was 1.5mbs which is the fastest DSL AT&T will give without Uverse. It works for music and e-mail but not forstreaming video to the BluRay and Wii. I like DirectTV and do not want Uverse which will give me 18mbs. I moved to Comcast XFinity for home phone and Internet as the price is the same as what I currently pay for AT&T home phone nad interenet. Comcast is 15mbs.

Will this allow me to do what I need? I know that I can not use all of the compoents at once.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
Looking to make sure I did this right or thought it through properly. I am an average user of technology, I know my way aroud the web, stumble from time to time on my wireless network at home but have four wireless (laptop, Blu-Ray, ipod Touch,and Wii) and four hard wired (2 desktops, Blu-Ray and DirectTV) all on a Cisco Router that is a year old. I do not have a Smart Phone but will be going this way shortly.

Anyway, my home network grew over the holidays with the new Blu-Ray players, Wii and the ipod touch joining our network. Previously after I connected my laptop I never used the wireless for anything as there was no need to.

I want to download movies and use Netflix and Vudu on the Blu Rays and Wii and they never load. I think it is my modem. I could download on DirectTV but that loads to the DVR where it resides and is not really streaming video like Netflix and VUDU.

My modem was AT&T and it was 1.5mbs which is the fastest DSL AT&T will give without Uverse. It works for music and e-mail but not forstreaming video to the BluRay and Wii. I like DirectTV and do not want Uverse which will give me 18mbs. I moved to Comcast XFinity for home phone and Internet as the price is the same as what I currently pay for AT&T home phone nad interenet. Comcast is 15mbs.

Will this allow me to do what I need? I know that I can not use all of the compoents at once.

You shouldn't have an issue. Just make sure you have the latest firmware on the router.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)

Uverse only gives the speeds they list if you are close to the source, DSL gets progressively slower as it moved further and further away. DSL pretty much sucks. If you really want fast download speeds I would upgrade to Cable internet and get a wireless N router if your endpoints have that technology.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 26, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
Yeah, those speeds will allow you to stream. 1.5mbps is too slow. The DVR worked because the receiver just sends a request to the satellite. Then the satellite sends everything you need to your dish on your home and downloads that way.

Really, I did not know that.

My BD player has an MLB.tv icon along with Netfliix and Vudu....maybe I'll have to look into MLB.tv

Let's hope Comcast comes through.

Uverse is totally constricted by the type of cabling that the signal comes across on, this is why you cannot watch more than one HD show at a time. The cable company's advertisements are somewhat accurate that the technology doesnt exist currently for phone lines to carry as much data as cable.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
They're giving him creative input into new designs and concepts. It's not just an endorsement deal.

Intel makes CPUs, SSDs, and integrated video cards, what can will.i.am possibly come up with to improve those things?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
Intel makes CPUs, SSDs, and integrated video cards, what can will.i.am possibly come up with to improve those things?

"put more transistors and s*** on there, yo"

I think Intel is trying to branch out some with integrated products. I dunno, I don't think it's the greatest idea, I just wanted to point out it isn't an advertising/endorsement deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
Perhaps they will get a super bowl mention.

"yo, I told the hardware engineers at Intel to put some transistors on dat b****. Make sure to buy their new i9 line coming out this June. The box will have my face on it!"

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
"yo, I told the hardware engineers at Intel to put some transistors on dat b****. Make sure to buy their new i9 line coming out this June. The box will have my face on it!"

"Mega giga byte son. It ain't hardcore, unless it's hexacore. T-Pain, err, Will.I.Am, holla at cha boy!"

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)

After reading Intel's press statements, it does sound like it's just a marketing thing. Which is probably better than actually having him with any sort of creative control.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 11:18 PM)
After reading Intel's press statements, it does sound like it's just a marketing thing. Which is probably better than actually having him with any sort of creative control.

It's just the 2011 version of an endorsement deal. They mentioned Lady Gaga does the same thing for Polaroid. I'm sure she has a ton of creative input...like what hue of pink their next camera will be.

This is the sort of typical showing that certain companies, and their board of directors, are simply out of touch with reality and what people want/need/care about.

Microsoft does stuff like this, too. Intel is just following along, because their board is as confused as Microsoft's is. Both companies make boat loads of money, and sit on s***ty undervalued stock prices because it appears their best days are behind them. Both have great products, and neither have a CLUE as to how to market them or even why they should market them (or another valid question is IF they should even bother).

Intel sells CPU's, mostly to OEM's, who then resell them to people. This means advertising is almost a complete WASTE of money, as the end consumer, be it a business or a person, doesn't care if Intel is inside, and they never have. Microsoft does this same thing via Windows Marketing...most of it is simply NOT necessary. Nobody has ever watched an Intel commercial and said, damn...I need to go out and get me a new CPU@#$! It's a disconnect from reality. People see iPhone commercials, or HTC commercials and say...wow, nice phone...now THAT I'd love to get! It's akin to HTC or Apple advertising the f***ing processor in the phone, rather than the phone itself...nobody cares.

What this really is, is Intel is giving solid pimp backhand to every single one of their REAL engineers, who make a pittance in comparison to what I guarantee they're paying Wil.I.Am to do nothing, and then they follow it up with a solid kick in the dick by giving him an actual "higher on the totem pole" position in the company. Meanwhile, the engineers that get up and work AM to PM making those chips for them making 90k a year should seek positions elsewhere...bring your REAL talent to AMD and tell Intel to piss off and hope Wil.I.Am knows how to do the work they were actually doing.

This sort of thing is infuriating...and it shows how out of touch these old "executives" are in the big companies...they forget how they got where they are, and it sure as hell wasn't on the back of chip designers like Wil.I.Am, who hasn't even made a single original song in his life.

Meh.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 01:40 PM)
Just a waste of money.

No computer geek is gonna buy an Intel chip because of will.i.am. Wrong demographics.

No, but wasn't it intel that had that fantastic ad a year or two ago with the inventor of the USB being treated like a rock star? Now that was an effective ad for a tech company.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
No, but wasn't it intel that had that fantastic ad a year or two ago with the inventor of the USB being treated like a rock star? Now that was an effective ad for a tech company.

They also picked a pretty crappy candidate to attempt to turn into a PC Industry rockstar...