Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 11:54 AM)
ATT seems to be great in larger cities, but I get terrible/no reception when I'm traveling for work (usually it's in the middle of nowhere).

And it depends on the larger city as well; everyone and their grandchildren seems to complain about AT&T in NY and SF.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
ATT seems to be great in larger cities, but I get terrible/no reception when I'm traveling for work (usually it's in the middle of nowhere).

See, and here lies my problem. I was just talking to a friend who lived "in the boonies" and never had a problem.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
I thought that for a while. Then I bounced between 3 different companies and ended up back at Sprint because the other three cheaper ones sucked.

This happens all the time. I briefly had Verizon about four years ago and went crawling back to Sprint. I shall never stray again.

Of course, with the everything 450 plan being 69.99 now, I couldn't care less.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
I have At&t dont love it but most of the time its good enough. Certain areas in the city have less reception, but overall I generally have as good of reception as most people. There are just some bad areas for cell reception in cities.

Same here. Unless you're in a weird area, AT&T is just as good as the rest.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
And it depends on the larger city as well; everyone and their grandchildren seems to complain about AT&T in NY and SF.

ATT is ungodly terrible in SF, and not sure why. I didnt get emails for 2 days for no particular reason. My phone was bouncing off of 3G all the time. Its really weird.

Oh and your ATT service will suffer if you are in an area populated with a ton of Verizon users. Its weird, but it happens.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
Oh and your ATT service will suffer if you are in an area populated with a ton of Verizon users. Its weird, but it happens.

Then this is going to destroy ATT.

Verizon is no longer accepting pre-orders for the iPhone 4.

The demand for Verizon iPhone was very strong as it took less than a day for the pre-orders to sell out.

Verizon's website took a beating from customers, many of whom didn't manage to pre-order their iPhone 4, but they'll have another chance next week.

According to the information on the company's website, Verizon customers will be able to order an iPhone 4 at 3:01 a.m. on Wednesday, February 9.

At 7 a.m. local time on Thursday, February 10, the iPhone 4 will be available at Apple and Verizon stores throughout the U.S.

My family plan works out phenomenal. Not sure how it works for everyone, but I did the math and there is no comparison. That said, I love my new iphone for work. So much that when everything runs out if I can find a way to keep the plans reasonably similar I'd pay a small premium to use it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
I know that's true for individual plans but I have no idea about family plans.

1500 minutes, unlimited texts, "unlimited" data: $129.99

WHen you talk bang for your buck, Sprint is by far the best DEAL, but I can do ATT, Verizon for cheaper with less minutes and data.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)

WHen you talk bang for your buck, Sprint is by far the best DEAL, but I can do ATT, Verizon for cheaper with less minutes and data.

Do people really use a lot of actual voice minutes anymore?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)

I have unlimited everything with ATT for roughly that cost.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
Do people really use a lot of actual voice minutes anymore?

I do. Now if I had an iphone I'd probalby use the feature where you could make your calls via google talk through the 3g network and just get free minutes that way.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)

I think the question is whether the end users use data & text. If they do and they use a decent chunk, sprints plan is money. If you don't need the data and text than there are other plans out there.

Just an FYI, but there are ways to still get ATT Unlimited plans as a new user. Just google it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 10:16 AM)
I live in the west loop and I have full bars pretty much anywhere I go including the loop. With that said, sometimes in areas where there are alot of people with cell phones, you could see a decline in service or a dropped call. Its not bad, I would say average.

The best performance from a wireless carrier I ever had in Chicago was TMobile a few years ago, their signal strength downtown was always full.

I kind of think T-Mobile's service in Chicago (not downtown) is meh compared to their service in DC/Baltimore (outstanding, here).

Honestly, I agree with Sprint being the best bang for the buck, by far. I have a family plan with 4 people, unlimited data and text and 1500 minutes and my bill is $156 a month now. BTW, the minutes you use are only to landline phones. Any other mobile phones(even if not on Sprint) do not count against your minutes.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
Honestly, I agree with Sprint being the best bang for the buck, by far. I have a family plan with 4 people, unlimited data and text and 1500 minutes and my bill is $156 a month now. BTW, the minutes you use are only to landline phones. Any other mobile phones(even if not on Sprint) do not count against your minutes.

I'm on the exact same plan with a 23% work discount. Used to be cheaper when the discount applied to everything instead of just the initial plan (and no the 19.99 for extra phones).