Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
I do. Now if I had an iphone I'd probalby use the feature where you could make your calls via google talk through the 3g network and just get free minutes that way.

A friend of mine got 2 phones on Verizon and had the second phone use Google Talk exclusively and he ended up getting charged for every minute from his anytime minutes. Has anyone heard of this?? Since Google Talk is supposed to be VoIP...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 04:18 PM)
When that phone plugs into my iPod stereo, alarm clock, and car input let me know, otherwise it's not even close to useable for me.

There's talk that this is eventually supposed to happen, but I think it's actually been mandated overseas.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
A friend of mine got 2 phones on Verizon and had the second phone use Google Talk exclusively and he ended up getting charged for every minute from his anytime minutes. Has anyone heard of this?? Since Google Talk is supposed to be VoIP...

He was using Google Voice, not Google Talk. Google Talk doesn't work on cell phones to the best of my knowledge.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 03:18 PM)
When that phone plugs into my iPod stereo, alarm clock, and car input let me know, otherwise it's not even close to useable for me.

GMAFB. Everything you've mentioned has versions that have Aux In/Line In that could support pretty much any device. You make it sound as if anyone with a non-iPhone can never listen to their device in a car or home stereo. And within the year most devices will most likely use wireless methods of connecting such as DNLA and right now you can via bluetooth.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)
GMAFB. Everything you've mentioned has versions that have Aux In/Line In that could support pretty much any device. You make it sound as if anyone with a non-iPhone can never listen to their device in a car or home stereo. And within the year most devices will most likely use wireless methods of connecting such as DNLA and right now you can via bluetooth.

I don't care. It has an app that builds you an island, and then it f***ing transforms into a jet and flies you there. I don't care.

I guess if you're ok using AT&T's s***ty-ass network, and if you don't mind paying out the ass for the plan and the phone, and don't mind having a brand new phone that's already behind the curve, then I can put you on our reservation list.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)

Googletalk will use your minutes. There is a 3rd party app that will use googletalk but allow you to use the network as opposed to your minutes. So it is like an in-between app so to speak.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 11:22 PM)

No, you can listen to it (though Aux inputs suck), but it wont charge it, wont control it and thats pretty major for me. The bluetooth streaming is ok but unreliable in cars, and like I said I like the charging capability. I like that I can charge and listen to it with my alarm clock without having an additional power cord, and I like that most boom boxes for beach going come with an ipod dock that also charges and controls with a remote. I dont want to carry and ipod and a phone, I want one unit.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 06:12 PM)
Sprint has me upset. It seems that they now have added a $10 premium charge to phones that use internet connectivity ON TOP OF the everything plans. F*ck the heck?

I hated sprint. They sounded cheap but they piles of fees and charges thy aren't really explained.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 03:12 PM)
Sprint has me upset. It seems that they now have added a $10 premium charge to phones that use internet connectivity ON TOP OF the everything plans. F*ck the heck?

It will be on all new smart phones (4G or 3G). Existing phones will be fine (until you buy a new phone and than you pay that 10 buck surcharge). As a sprint user, I feel it is horribly lame.

Nokia and Microsoft Team Up in Smartphone Battle -

Making official what has been widely expected for days, Nokia and Microsoft have announced that the two companies are teaming up in the smartphone market, with Nokia embracing Windows Phone as its "primary smartphone strategy" while contributing its own expertise to further development of the platform.

While the specific details of the deal are being worked out, here's a quick summary of what we are working towards:

- Nokia will adopt Windows Phone as its primary smartphone strategy, innovating on top of the platform in areas such as imaging, where Nokia is a market leader.

- Nokia will help drive and define the future of Windows Phone. Nokia will contribute its expertise on hardware design, language support, and help bring Windows Phone to a larger range of price points, market segments and geographies.

- Nokia and Microsoft will closely collaborate on development, joint marketing initiatives and a shared development roadmap to align on the future evolution of mobile products.

Nokia has long been the world's smartphone market share leader with its Symbian platform, but the company's dominant lead has been quickly evaporating as iOS and Android have rapidly grown. From the other perspective, Microsoft's new Windows Phone 7 platform has been fairly well regarded by reviewers, but has yet to catch on as a latecomer to the increasingly crowded smartphone space.

A purported memo from Nokia CEO Stephen Elop published earlier this week outlined the challenges faced by Nokia in a smartphone market that has shifted from a battle of devices to a battle of "ecosystems", a theme echoed in the public statements made today in support of the partnership with Microsoft.

So, an executive from Microsoft (Stephen Elop) leaves to become the CEO of Nokia, then magically they dump most of their in house development and run to M$ for help. How convenient!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 8, 2011 -> 08:06 PM)
It will be on all new smart phones (4G or 3G). Existing phones will be fine (until you buy a new phone and than you pay that 10 buck surcharge). As a sprint user, I feel it is horribly lame.

They should change the name of the "Everything" plan.

Is there a smaller, cheaper version of the iPhone on the way? Rumors abound, but now the Wall Street Journal has found "people familiar with the matter" who have actually laid hands and eyes upon it:

"One of the people, who saw a prototype of a new iPhone several months ago, said the new device is intended to be sold alongside the current line of iPhones and would be about half the size of the iPhone 4. The phone, one of its codenames is N97, would be available to mobile carriers at about half the price of Apple's main line of iPhones, the person said."

According to the Wall Street Journal, Apple's also considering making its MobileMe online storage service free, allowing users to store their data in the cloud rather than on a small device such as an iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad.

This move could facilitate a smaller iPhone, which could store most of its data elsewhere rather than within its tiny confines.

When will we see such a tiny iPhone, reportedly one-third smaller than its bigger brother, and costing $200 with no contract?

The WSJ sources are saying this summer, which is right in line with the usual time new iPhones are unveiled.

You know, if that's available on Verizon, I might jump at that.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
I read that the only way to reduce the price was to take the memory out of it, which also allows it to be cut down to about half the size. Sort of an iPhone nano, if you will.

Interesting idea.

And increase the adoption of MobileMe which hasnt been as big of a hit as they thought it was going to be.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
And increase the adoption of MobileMe which hasnt been as big of a hit as they thought it was going to be.

Right, they are talking about making MobileMe free if the design these devices around "cloud" storage.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
Right, they are talking about making MobileMe free if the design these devices around "cloud" storage.

The draw there is once people's data are on your servers, they will stick around because of the hassle of moving it. They could literally increase brand loyalty to their "lite" phones just by making people reliant on their service. Its actually quite brilliant.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 14, 2011 -> 02:43 PM)
The draw there is once people's data are on your servers, they will stick around because of the hassle of moving it. They could literally increase brand loyalty to their "lite" phones just by making people reliant on their service. Its actually quite brilliant.

Yeah, I know I would end up either staying around or abandoning it. Although I don't really collect too much important data or anything...I would think the phone would at least be capable of storing your contacts list.