Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
Isn't it redundant to have both an iPhone and an iPad? At this point, an iPad is really just an indulgent gadget.

What's crazy is that I WANT and iPad, but I know that it is pointless. Slightly more capable than an iPhone, but far less portable. Slightly more portable than a laptop, but far less capable.

If you don't have a smartphone, only have a desktop computer, and have no need for full laptop capability, I can see an iPad as a nice little device to bridge the gap without breaking the bank.

QUOTE (G&T @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
What's crazy is that I WANT and iPad, but I know that it is pointless. Slightly more capable than an iPhone, but far less portable. Slightly more portable than a laptop, but far less capable.

If you don't have a smartphone, only have a desktop computer, and have no need for full laptop capability, I can see an iPad as a nice little device to bridge the gap without breaking the bank.

I assume you're talking about a wifi only tablet. The other ones will cost as much as a laptop after a year of service.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
Isn't it redundant to have both an iPhone and an iPad? At this point, an iPad is really just an indulgent gadget.

If you did a lot of work on the go, an Ipad would make quite a bit of sense along with the phone for business purposes, and in fact you can now team them well together, if you use the iPhone as a hotspot to go with the wifi only iPad.

If I had a couple more conferences/travel tasks on my list, I could totally find a ton of use for both, to the point where it made financial sense.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 19, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
I assume you're talking about a wifi only tablet. The other ones will cost as much as a laptop after a year of service.

I was referring to base cost and I really didn't put that much thought into it.

I can tell you this, aside from work, I haven't touched my desktop computer since I got my ipad2, for 99% of what a person does on a daily basis, such as email/web, this thing is as near to perfect as anything out there yet. The screen could use a quality boost (I'd prefer it to be "retina" like 300+ pixels per inch), but even as is, this is perfect for usual home computing tasks. And overall, I'd like it even thinner/lighter than it is, but this is nice. Android tablets arent quite there yet, but then again, I didnt think the iPad1 was there yet, either...this one is much closer. The tablet field is the future for most non intensive tasks IMO. That said, even a comparative android tablet, for 99% of what a regular person does...makes needing an actual computer unimportant at this point.

And flash has become overrated to the nTh degree as of now, I've run into almost 0 pages that require it for video viewing...and in light of firefox and googles chrome executives saying html5 is the way to go as of now, flash doesn't have much life left to it. I think adobe screwed themselves on this one taking so long to make it efficient, secure and stable (they still haven't) that even google got sick of them.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 03:53 AM)
I can tell you this, aside from work, I haven't touched my desktop computer since I got my ipad2, for 99% of what a person does on a daily basis, such as email/web, this thing is as near to perfect as anything out there yet. The screen could use a quality boost (I'd prefer it to be "retina" like 300+ pixels per inch), but even as is, this is perfect for usual home computing tasks. And overall, I'd like it even thinner/lighter than it is, but this is nice. Android tablets arent quite there yet, but then again, I didnt think the iPad1 was there yet, either...this one is much closer. The tablet field is the future for most non intensive tasks IMO. That said, even a comparative android tablet, for 99% of what a regular person does...makes needing an actual computer unimportant at this point.

And flash has become overrated to the nTh degree as of now, I've run into almost 0 pages that require it for video viewing...and in light of firefox and googles chrome executives saying html5 is the way to go as of now, flash doesn't have much life left to it. I think adobe screwed themselves on this one taking so long to make it efficient, secure and stable (they still haven't) that even google got sick of them.

Do you have the keyboard?

I have a 27-inch iMac, the original iPad, and the iPhone 4. I use my iMac primarily, and then switch to the iPad when I hit the couch. It's handy for when I want to do some casual web surfing and watch tv at the same time. So during Sox games, I'll sit on the couch and scold Big Sqwert in the game thread, whereas I wouldn't do this from my iPhone because of the size.

I don't think the iPad and iPhone are redundant. Rather, a laptop and iPad probably are. My iPhone is very capable, and I love it when I am out and about, but it's not something I'm going to use much from home. The iPad is the perfect size for when you want the ability to web surf but don't want to be tied to a desk. I also use it a ton for reading, whether it is magazines via Zinio, or a book through iBooks. When traveling, you don't need to remove it when going through security, and you don't have to make a big production when using it at your gate, like some laptop users seem to have to. In fact, I'm posting this from my iPad in the San Antonio airport right now, and it's big enough that I don't have to squint to see it, but I'm holding something that is no more bulky than a magazine.

I don't have the iPad2, and you guys know I am a big Apple dork, because I am so overwhelmingly pleased with this device. When I get on the plane, I can pull up books, magazines, a movie or a game, all in one device, which would be substantially less enjoyable if I was doing so for the entire flight on an iPhone.

Everyone who asks about whether to get an iPad or a laptop, i simply ask whether they use Microsoft office often for work. If so, get the laptop; otherwise, the iPad is all you need.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 03:53 AM)

Throw in a better display and cameras, sd card support, swappable batteries, and the scribe feature on HTC's Flyer and I would never need a laptop.

EDIT: And what's so annoying is that I know they can make that device I just mentioned right now, but it's like they purposefully omit things so that they can make people keeping buying a different tablet each year.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
Throw in a better display and cameras, sd card support, swappable batteries, and the scribe feature on HTC's Flyer and I would never need a laptop.

EDIT: And what's so annoying is that I know they can make that device I just mentioned right now, but it's like they purposefully omit things so that they can make people keeping buying a different tablet each year.

Camras in tablets are not necessary, as nobody wants to walk around with a device that big snapping crappy pictures in the first place...as with desktops, the cameras are used for video conferencing, which works fine on the ipad2, despite not being able to take awesome snapshots. It's just an awkward form factor for such a use, and right now is more for stat heads and hype than any actual real world use.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Camras in tablets are not necessary, as nobody wants to walk around with a device that big snapping crappy pictures in the first place...as with desktops, the cameras are used for video conferencing, which works fine on the ipad2, despite not being able to take awesome snapshots. It's just an awkward form factor for such a use, and right now is more for stat heads and hype than any actual real world use.

Yeah but if you're out and about and don't have a camera with you and all you have is a tablet then why not give it something worth using?

And what a silly thing to say "Camras [sic] in tablets are not necessary". A lot of features in phones or tablets are not necessary but that's not the point. If you can have one less device to do things for you then it's a good thing.

Edited by BigSqwert

AT&T to buy T-Mobile.

As anyone who has read a tech blog in the past few years will know, AT&T has been under attack for not being able to match the network capacity of larger rival Verizon. And when they won the majority of the bids for the open spectrum in 2008, Verizon also had a clear path to the future. Now AT&T is taking another path: buying T-Mobile.

Here’s the release with the details of the deal. AT&T will pay roughly $39 billion to Deutsche Telekom for T-Mobile USA. Deutsche Telekom will also get a roughly 8 percent ownership stake in AT&T as a result of the deal. And a Deutsche Telekom executive will join AT&T’s Board.

With the deal, AT&T will get access to T-Mobile’s roughly 35 million customers. If the two fully merge, this will push AT&T far past Verizon in terms of subscriber numbers. Currently, Verizon has about 100 million subscribers in the U.S., while AT&T has about 95 million. This deal will also leave Sprint as the lone large outsider, with about 50 million subscribers.

The agreement has already been approved by both Boards, but obviously will have to pass government scrutiny.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 20, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
Yeah but if you're out and about and don't have a camera with you and all you have is a tablet then why not give it something worth using?

And what a silly thing to say "Camras [sic] in tablets are not necessary". A lot of features in phones or tablets are not necessary but that's not the point. If you can have one less device to do things for you then it's a good thing.

Use your phone for that. Most people aren't running around casually with iPads in their hands...but their cell phones.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 07:53 AM)
I figured someone would have that reaction.

Until he sees his Verizon bill, that is.

Verizon doesn't allow rollover...which sucks...because it means you HAVE to buy a bigger minutes package than you need, all because the one time you go over, you'll wish you had just been paying monthly for the larger package.

I left Verizon to AT&T and my bill dropped by 25%.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 07:57 AM)
So what happens with Sprint now? I figured they were going to merge with TMobile.

Nothing.

Keep in mind that they can announce this purchase all they want, but this will take more than a year to get through antitrust, *IF* it can get through antitrust. Monopolizing into Americas only GSM network may not fly...this might not be allowed to happen. Even if it does happen, like I said above, it's going to take more than a year.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
Nothing.

Keep in mind that they can announce this purchase all they want, but this will take more than a year to get through antitrust, *IF* it can get through antitrust. Monopolizing Americas only GSM network may not fly...this might not be allowed to happen. Even if it does happen, like I said above, it's going to take more than a year.

This is America. We don't interfere with corporate mergers. The bigger, the better.

Friend posted this fascinating look at the history of Ma Bell.

att-history.jpg

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 08:05 AM)
This is America. We don't interfere with corporate mergers. The bigger, the better.

Friend posted this fascinating look at the history of Ma Bell.

att-history.jpg

Yea, I talk about this all the time. It's funny that they broke up Ma Bell and then let Ma Bell pretty much reconstruct itself. :D

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
Yea, I talk about this all the time. It's funny that they broke up Ma Bell and then let Ma Bell reconstruct itself. :D

It's only funny if you're either an AT&T executive, a telecom lobbyist, or you use no telecommunications services whatsoever.

If you're not in one of those 3 groups, then I'd say it's much more tragic.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 08:08 AM)
It's only funny if you're either an AT&T executive, a telecom lobbyist, or you use no telecommunications services whatsoever.

If you're not in one of those 3 groups, then I'd say it's much more tragic.

Well, thankfully Verizon exists...so some competition exists.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
Technically that is the actual definition of competition.

And yet, you ought to know economics well enough to know the effect of narrowing the field down to 2 companies winds up being the exact opposite.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 21, 2011 -> 08:13 AM)
2 companies with the same products really isn't competition.

By your rational, baseball teams (when playing each other) aren't really competing against each other then... :P