Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
Do they have a proxy or web server set up for mobile devices? Do you have a webmail login for exchange? Usually that is the server that I use at work, I use my webmail credentials and the webmail server.

Yes, well, that's the thought... We can access through the web (outlook web access - aka, the webmail login for exchange that we're using) through any website. But when I go to put those credentials into some of the mail programs it always fails.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 09:22 PM)
Okay, I'll throw this out there and I'm not sure if any of you can help me or not...

any of you ever use your andriod to hook up to an owa (outlook web access) application and it actually work? I cannot find a damn piece of software for the phone that actually works on my phone. The IT guy isn't seeing any settings on the exchange server that would block it.

We can't directly hook up to th exchange server because our IT f***ers in Canada won't let us, but I was trying the work around using the owa (browser) site.

You mean like a separate app or from the browser?

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Mar 24, 2011 -> 08:45 PM)
Yes, well, that's the thought... We can access through the web (outlook web access - aka, the webmail login for exchange that we're using) through any website. But when I go to put those credentials into some of the mail programs it always fails.

The mail programs use different protocols than OTA/web, which is always going through port 80/443, this is a front end, which then goes to the exchange server via the protocols it understands. Actual email programs on a computer/phone will use exchange, imap, pop, protocols, which are completely different ports. This is probably blocked.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 25, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
The mail programs use different protocols than OTA/web, which is always going through port 80/443, this is a front end, which then goes to the exchange server via the protocols it understands. Actual email programs on a computer/phone will use exchange, imap, pop, protocols, which are completely different ports. This is probably blocked.

I'm pretty sure it is. Oh well, blackberry it is. :(

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
So I am looking to cut some month to month costs and am thinking about buying a DVR from an electronics store. Do they differ at all from just renting one from Comcast?

I can't speak to comcast...but the big benefit of renting them from DirecTV rather than buying your own is that when (not if) they crap out after a couple years, DirecTV pays for the replacement, not me. In about 8 years with DTV, I've probably had 4 receivers crap out. Maybe more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 27, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
I can't speak to comcast...but the big benefit of renting them from DirecTV rather than buying your own is that when (not if) they crap out after a couple years, DirecTV pays for the replacement, not me. In about 8 years with DTV, I've probably had 4 receivers crap out. Maybe more.

That's because the receivers you rent from these places, Comast/Directv, etc., are garbage, low quality dvrs. I have a TiVo series 2 thats 9 years old, and it still works. My brother still uses it. The ONLY advantage of these rental receivers is that you can be lazy...and that's about it. Also, don't forget that any receiver you buy will come with a warranty.

I have 2 Comcast dvrs, and I was previously with directv, their receivers are all garbage in comparison to a TiVo. They're slower (by a lot) and can do less...I miss my TiVo very very much. :/

I know for a fact Comcast receivers are not very responsive. Probably the least responsive receivers on the market. DirecTV has the second worst in terms of responsiveness. They always freeze up, but in terms of GUI, they're one of the best. WOW has great response, Dish Network is best though overall.

Anyway, from what I've heard, the support for Tivo's from Comcast are pretty lacking as they always try to sell you on the fact you won't have OnDemand and if it breaks, it's not on them. Also, from reading TIVO forums, they think TIVO's are a dying investment as so many other companies already offer to lease DVR's.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 29, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
Directtv's responsiveness has gotten signficantly better. It used to be horrilbe but it is significantly faster than before. In general, I really like my Direct DVR. Been the best DVR I've had.

Comcast is horrific though.

I'd still rate it 2nd to last. I forgot to include ATT in there. It's probably in the middle, but I love their box overall. Too bad their On Demand is horrific. In fact, that's all Comcast has going for them.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 07:35 PM)
I'd still rate it 2nd to last. I forgot to include ATT in there. It's probably in the middle, but I love their box overall. Too bad their On Demand is horrific. In fact, that's all Comcast has going for them.

ATT will never compete because their infrastructure isnt up to par. When you cant watch HD on more than one TV, you arent an HD provider.

Figured here would be the place to put this.

A few months back, my home laptop was seemingly infected by a virus/malware. It wouldn't even let me go online or access *any* programs for that matter, slowed the machine to a crawl, and windows kept giving a notification with the name of the malware (didn't write it down, but I remember it had the word "bank" in it, which scared me). I pretty much shut the thing down for two or three months, and eventually picked up McAfee with the intention of cleaning it up. I finally got around to turning the thing back on, and nothing was wrong. No trace of anything. It looks like I have an active Norton subscription (which I wasn't aware of, so I'm wary but I didn't install the McAfee).

I'm worried that something still isn't kosher here, and was hoping someone could point me to some good (free) anti-malware online. I do online banking and trading, and nothing is out of the ordinary but I'm still paranoid about how and why the problem would just vanish like that. I've heard stories where the mal-ware operated quietly to make you think everything is fine and then you get railroaded after a while.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)

A few months back, my home laptop was seemingly infected by a virus/malware. It wouldn't even let me go online or access *any* programs for that matter, slowed the machine to a crawl, and windows kept giving a notification with the name of the malware (didn't write it down, but I remember it had the word "bank" in it, which scared me). I pretty much shut the thing down for two or three months, and eventually picked up McAfee with the intention of cleaning it up. I finally got around to turning the thing back on, and nothing was wrong. No trace of anything. It looks like I have an active Norton subscription (which I wasn't aware of, so I'm wary but I didn't install the McAfee).

I'm worried that something still isn't kosher here, and was hoping someone could point me to some good (free) anti-malware online. I do online banking and trading, and nothing is out of the ordinary but I'm still paranoid about how and why the problem would just vanish like that. I've heard stories where the mal-ware operated quietly to make you think everything is fine and then you get railroaded after a while.

Back up your PC and see if you can do a restore to a few months back. If not, back up everything and do a fresh windows install.

Playtime is over in Android Land. Over the last couple of months Google (GOOG) has reached out to the major carriers and device makers backing its mobile operating system with a message: There will be no more willy-nilly tweaks to the software. No more partnerships formed outside of Google's purview. From now on, companies hoping to receive early access to Google's most up-to-date software will need approval of their plans. And they will seek that approval from Andy Rubin, the head of Google's Android group.

This is the new reality described by about a dozen executives working at key companies in the Android ecosystem. Some of those affected include LG, Toshiba, Samsung, and even Facebook, which has been trying to develop an Android device. There have been enough run-ins to trigger complaints with the Justice Dept., according to a person familiar with the matter. The Google that once welcomed all comers to help get its mobile software off the ground has become far more discriminating—especially for companies that want to include Google services such as search and maps on their hardware. Google also gives chip and device makers that abide by its rules a head start in bringing Android products to market, according to the executives.

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)

In other words, no longer "open", but more or less "closed" like Apple.

Honestly, this is a good move for them. I'm not a big believer in this "open" crap anyway, not for huge undertakings like a phone operating system. Unfortunately, reality dictates that people need to get paid to live, and open source doesn't pay well. Opening the source code so people can see it is one thing, but having no requirements on it's use is another. Webkit is opensource, created by Apple, it's what Safari and Chrome are based on, although forks of the original code base. For smaller projects, there are some really good open source programs out there, but for bigger programs, think Photoshop, no open source project will touch it, and many try (Gimp, Acorn, etc).

I think this is a good change.

Android was well on it's way to becoming the ghetto OS for phone makers, tweaks, skins, altercations...the experience was never quite the same from device to device, and that was leading to a lesser experience.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)

Try Malwarebytes

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 4, 2011 -> 07:46 AM)
In other words, no longer "open", but more or less "closed" like Apple.

Honestly, this is a good move for them. I'm not a big believer in this "open" crap anyway, not for huge undertakings like a phone operating system. Unfortunately, reality dictates that people need to get paid to live, and open source doesn't pay well. Opening the source code so people can see it is one thing, but having no requirements on it's use is another. Webkit is opensource, created by Apple, it's what Safari and Chrome are based on, although forks of the original code base. For smaller projects, there are some really good open source programs out there, but for bigger programs, think Photoshop, no open source project will touch it, and many try (Gimp, Acorn, etc).

I think this is a good change.

Android was well on it's way to becoming the ghetto OS for phone makers, tweaks, skins, altercations...the experience was never quite the same from device to device, and that was leading to a lesser experience.

While Android may be more closed (or controlled) by Google, it will still be more open than iOS. Apple controls every little aspect of their products, which has its advantages, while Google will become more restrictive with Android.

Ok, question for all of y'all who know the Cell market better than I do.

I've been given about ~$1500 or so to spend on business related items, and my best guess for how to blow a good chunk of that is the iPad/iPhone combo.

I can't use the funds available to pay the monthly service bills, but I can use them to pay for the hardware.

Based on my reading, the usual iPhone purchase setup for either VZN or ATT is to spend $199 or $299 on the phone, and have the rest paid for as a discount in exchange for a 2 year service contract. Obviously, that doesn't benefit me here if I'm going to have the hardware paid for.

I'd probably go with just the wi-fi version of the iPad, no need to have wireless access on it if I pick up the iPhone4 and set it up as a hotspot. Plus, most places I go have wireless setup anyway.

What's the best way to do the contract setup here? I could pay the full price of the iPhone and not do a contract, but that sorta drops the benefit of signing a contract to save the money. Is there any way that I could get the bookeeping done such that I could get a credit towards the monthly bill instead of a credit towards the hardware?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 06:31 AM)
Ok, question for all of y'all who know the Cell market better than I do.

I've been given about ~$1500 or so to spend on business related items, and my best guess for how to blow a good chunk of that is the iPad/iPhone combo.

I can't use the funds available to pay the monthly service bills, but I can use them to pay for the hardware.

Based on my reading, the usual iPhone purchase setup for either VZN or ATT is to spend $199 or $299 on the phone, and have the rest paid for as a discount in exchange for a 2 year service contract. Obviously, that doesn't benefit me here if I'm going to have the hardware paid for.

I'd probably go with just the wi-fi version of the iPad, no need to have wireless access on it if I pick up the iPhone4 and set it up as a hotspot. Plus, most places I go have wireless setup anyway.

What's the best way to do the contract setup here? I could pay the full price of the iPhone and not do a contract, but that sorta drops the benefit of signing a contract to save the money. Is there any way that I could get the bookeeping done such that I could get a credit towards the monthly bill instead of a credit towards the hardware?

If all you were getting was both. Why not buy the iphone and ipad at full price (assuming you want to blow all 1500 on those two things, which I'm not sure that you do), and jailbreak it and put it on the tmobile network, where, for the time being you can be saving cash on the monthly dues. Plus by jailbreaking your iphone you have a walking hotspot for your Ipad.

You spent more of your companies $1500 and maybe lose out on another device you'd want, but at the same time, you cut your monthly bills, which you'd have to pay out of pocket.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 10:33 AM)
If all you were getting was both. Why not buy the iphone and ipad at full price (assuming you want to blow all 1500 on those two things, which I'm not sure that you do), and jailbreak it and put it on the tmobile network, where, for the time being you can be saving cash on the monthly dues. Plus by jailbreaking your iphone you have a walking hotspot for your Ipad.

You spent more of your companies $1500 and maybe lose out on another device you'd want, but at the same time, you cut your monthly bills, which you'd have to pay out of pocket.

That's not jailbreaking, it's unlocking. Jailbreaking can be undone, unlocking cannot be, as it alters the baseband code, and makes future updates harder to perform, as now you can only install hacked code onto the phone, because default upgrades would again alter the baseband back to AT&T's and brick the phone.

As for the stolen hotspot software, that's over with. You can't get away with jailbreaking and using the 25$ hotspot software off the black market anymore (yes, it's 25$, not free, although a one time cost). AT&T has figured out how to tell if people are illegally tethering and are charging them now...so that free meal is over. Most carriers will be following suit on this. My assumption on how they can tell if you are tethering is the browser code and identification codes coming across their network are changed...or, it could be that they can tell via out of norm traffic usage. Either way, they've been signing up hackers for tethering plans. This applies to hacked iphones and androids, in either case, they can tell if you are illegally tethering now.

Edited by Y2HH