Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 08:41 AM)
That's not jailbreaking, it's unlocking. Jailbreaking can be undone, unlocking cannot be, as it alters the baseband code, and makes future updates harder to perform, as now you can only install hacked code onto the phone, because default upgrades would again alter the baseband back to AT&T's and brick the phone.

As for the stolen hotspot software, that's over with. You can't get away with jailbreaking and using the 25$ hotspot software off the black market anymore (yes, it's 25$, not free, although a one time cost). AT&T has figured out how to tell if people are illegally tethering and are charging them now...so that free meal is over. Most carriers will be following suit on this. My assumption on how they can tell if you are tethering is the browser code and identification codes coming across their network are changed...or, it could be that they can tell via out of norm traffic usage. Either way, they've been signing up hackers for tethering plans. This applies to hacked iphones and androids, in either case, they can tell if you are illegally tethering now.

Well you can ignore what I said Balta, haha.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)
If nothing else, I learned something.

Haha - Me too. I have a few techy friends that have there's jailbreaked solely for that reason (on ATT, I don't personally know anyone who has an Iphone unlocked on Tmobile). I'll be curious to see if they have gotten hit. They are all on grandfathered unlimited data plans and use there phones for everything.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 6, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
Haha - Me too. I have a few techy friends that have there's jailbreaked solely for that reason (on ATT, I don't personally know anyone who has an Iphone unlocked on Tmobile). I'll be curious to see if they have gotten hit. They are all on grandfathered unlimited data plans and use there phones for everything.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/att-tethering/

That's the story on hacked tethering.

Well here goes.

Unless someone can give me a convincing argument to go with an Evo on the Sprint network, I'm going to wind up with an iPhone within a week or two. Droid fans...please...I actually want to hear the argument the other way.

Money is currently not an object, whatever I get is coming through work.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 04:12 PM)
Well here goes.

Unless someone can give me a convincing argument to go with an Evo on the Sprint network, I'm going to wind up with an iPhone within a week or two. Droid fans...please...I actually want to hear the argument the other way.

Money is currently not an object, whatever I get is coming through work.

Try an EVO out for 30 days. Sprint will refund you if you don't like it. I've hacked mine and it's ridiculously fast and fully customizable (widgets, themes/skins, live wallpapers, overclocking cpu, custom ROMs, etc).

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 05:18 PM)
Try an EVO out for 30 days. Sprint will refund you if you don't like it. I've hacked mine and it's ridiculously fast and fully customizable (widgets, themes/skins, live wallpapers, overclocking cpu, custom ROMs, etc).

It's not me paying for it, it's the university. I have zero urge to figure out how I'd handle a refund.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 04:22 PM)
It's not me paying for it, it's the university. I have zero urge to figure out how I'd handle a refund.

Well if you're really into tinkering and customizing then give the EVO a try. If you just want a simple phone go with the iphone,

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 05:23 PM)
Well if you're really into tinkering and customizing then give the EVO a try. If you just want a simple phone go with the iphone,

As i currently have zero knowledge of smartphones, that seems like a reasonable suggestion.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 15, 2011 -> 04:24 PM)
As i currently have zero knowledge of smartphones, that seems like a reasonable suggestion.

But you won't be able to run this!

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

EDIT: One of the cool things you can do with cyanogen is use a wiimote. So for example, you could download a Nintendo emulator, grab a ton of free Nintendo games, hook up the EVO to a TV via HDMI and play games with your wiimote. Lets see an iPhone do that.

Edited by BigSqwert

Balta, you're talking to the wrong guy in terms of Evo, because Marko doesn't know how to not make it sound complicated.

I have an Evo. It is absolutely amazing. My sister in law and best friend have iPhones. They wish they had my Evo. The Evo is f***ing amazing.

EVO > iPhone. It honestly depends on if you want and can handle customization. Both you can pick up and use rather easily. iPhone doesn't allow for much customization. The Evo, if you have time to read up a bit on it, can do many many more things.

Evo is powerful as it is. If you ever decide to mod, which I took the advice of one of the members here, you'll have by far the most powerful phone you've ever used.

QUOTE (SoxFanForever @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
So I have the HTC Incredible right now but I'm looking to upgrade. My contract with VZW is up and I can get a phone upgrade (Thunderbolt) or bolt for Sprint and I could get an EVO. Think it would be best to wait for now until the next Sprint smartphone?

I have an EVO and I'd say either go with the Thunderbolt or wait for the EVO 3D. You might think 3D is gimmicky, which it probably is, but you get a toggle switch on the phone to turn it off.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 19, 2011 -> 07:29 PM)
EVO > iPhone. It honestly depends on if you want and can handle customization. Both you can pick up and use rather easily. iPhone doesn't allow for much customization. The Evo, if you have time to read up a bit on it, can do many many more things.

Evo is powerful as it is. If you ever decide to mod, which I took the advice of one of the members here, you'll have by far the most powerful phone you've ever used.

Depends on what you want. Androids in general are going to be better than iphones at customization. How many people actually need that is the question. Also, I've seen many customized android devices begin to freeze and show tons of glitches after prolonged use. Its almost a windows vs Mac thing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:19 PM)
Depends on what you want. Androids in general are going to be better than iphones at customization. How many people actually need that is the question. Also, I've seen many customized android devices begin to freeze and show tons of glitches after prolonged use. Its almost a windows vs Mac thing.

The message I'm getting is the same. I haven't a clue what I'd like to customize, so start off with the iPhone and learn what the hell I'll actually use the thing for first.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
The message I'm getting is the same. I haven't a clue what I'd like to customize, so start off with the iPhone and learn what the hell I'll actually use the thing for first.

Think wallpapers, home screens, widgets, ability to use folders, memory storage, cpu speed, user interface, etc.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
Think wallpapers, home screens, widgets, ability to use folders, memory storage, cpu speed, user interface, etc.

Again...I have no idea what I'd do if I had those abilities. I've never used a smartphone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:52 AM)
Again...I have no idea what I'd do if I had those abilities. I've never used a smartphone.

You can decide to customize absolutely nothing at all and still have a terrific experience with an EVO. You just have that option if you ever get bored some day.

Edited by BigSqwert