Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
Can you use live wallpapers on every phone too?

I honestly have no idea what that is and it sounds pretty strange. Will my block O be dancing around in the background?

I have yet to see a customized android phone that blows me out of the water with its tweaks. Folders, backgrounds, etc arent really that different than what every phone can do.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)
I honestly have no idea what that is and it sounds pretty strange. Will my block O be dancing around in the background?

Animated wallpaper.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:01 PM)
I have yet to see a customized android phone that blows me out of the water with its tweaks. Folders, backgrounds, etc arent really that different than what every phone can do.

Scroll through a few pages of this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...30&page=710

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
Animated wallpaper.

Scroll through a few pages of this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...30&page=710

Animated wallpaper is useless but there are some great customized home screens in that thread. There is probably some value for some people to having the only version of something on their phone to be different and I can respect that.

It still comes down to the hardware being able to function as an ipod as well as with ipod docks and car connectors that will keep me from moving over, but I can see some value in the customization.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:10 PM)
Oh come on. Did you see the duck hunt one? I have one that's a zombie game. It looks fantastic in person.

I dont pay enough attention to my phone just sitting there for it to be of use. I'm sure some people find it to be awesome.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
The difference is the EVO is 4g while the iPhone isn't. That's a gigantic difference. You'd be stupid to settle for anything less, no offense.

If I were choosing right now I'd go with the Thunderbolt. It's a better version of the EVO and LTE is faster than Wimax.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
The difference is the EVO is 4g while the iPhone isn't. That's a gigantic difference. You'd be stupid to settle for anything less, no offense.

Call and texts still come in the same way as always. Pandora still streams fine. Thats about it for me. I have an ipad to watch tv and whatnot.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:12 PM)
I dont pay enough attention to my phone just sitting there for it to be of use. I'm sure some people find it to be awesome.

I'm on the train all of the time so I use mine way more than I probably should.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:09 PM)
Animated wallpaper is useless but there are some great customized home screens in that thread. There is probably some value for some people to having the only version of something on their phone to be different and I can respect that.

It still comes down to the hardware being able to function as an ipod as well as with ipod docks and car connectors that will keep me from moving over, but I can see some value in the customization.

the ipod's network effects are huge in that regard

Edited by StrangeSox

you can do all that customization on an iphone as well, it just takes a tiny bit of searching, which should not bother you if you are REALLY in the need to make your phone stand out. I've customized my iphone to look like pretty much not an iphone to where i had widgets with weather updates, what time it is in bagdhad, heck the background would change from a sunny beach to a night in the desert based on the actual time..

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
Is it any smaller than the EVO?

I'm pretty sure they're about the same size. It has a faster chip in it though.

I, for one, love the large screen. I've got huge hands and don't think I could ever go back to a smaller sized screen.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:13 PM)
I'm on the train all of the time so I use mine way more than I probably should.

See, I'm on my ipad most of the time if I am sitting somewhere. My phone is just there for calls and texts and the occasional read on the internet.

To be honest, I am making a conscious effort to try and look at my phone less, especially after I went into a bar the other day and literally saw everyone staring down at their phones instead of talking and I realized how ridiculous it is. I may downgrade to pager/pay phone.