Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
See, I'm on my ipad most of the time if I am sitting somewhere. My phone is just there for calls and texts and the occasional read on the internet.

To be honest, I am making a conscious effort to try and look at my phone less, especially after I went into a bar the other day and literally saw everyone staring down at their phones instead of talking and I realized how ridiculous it is. I may downgrade to pager/pay phone.

:lolhitting

I've had to consciously make an effort to not use the phone much when I'm with my wife. It's hard but I've come a long way.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
:lolhitting

I've had to consciously make an effort to not use the phone much when I'm with my wife. It's hard but I've come a long way.

I think everyone should. I literally saw maybe 10 couples at crossroads and every one of them was individually looking at their phones. It looked ridiculous.

It did give me a great app idea though, now I just need someone who can write code.....

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Anyone have Sprint? Is the unlimited plan really only 100 bucks a month?

I have Sprint and pay 79.99 for 450 minutes and unlimited data and text. I never come remotely close to going over my minutes since it's free mobile to mobile (any carrier) and free nights and weekends.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
I have Sprint and pay 79.99 for 450 minutes and unlimited data and text. I never come remotely close to going over my minutes since it's free mobile to mobile (any carrier) and free nights and weekends.

Wow. I pay 190 a month for unlimited with ATT. I may actually do some research on this today. My companies have all picked up the bill for about the last 10 years, but now they only give me a certain amount a month and 100 bucks sounds damn good.

The wife and I have 900 minutes, plus unlimited data/text for 129.99 month with sprint.

Interesting.. With taxes, how much does the bill usually stand at? I get charged with 10 dollars in taxes which puts my ATT bill at around 106 a month for one iphone.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
Interesting.. With taxes, how much does the bill usually stand at? I get charged with 10 dollars in taxes which puts my ATT bill at around 106 a month for one iphone.

Well I also get a 17% discount from my company and the department I work in covers 50% of the remainder. I wind up paying about $35.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
See, I'm on my ipad most of the time if I am sitting somewhere. My phone is just there for calls and texts and the occasional read on the internet.

To be honest, I am making a conscious effort to try and look at my phone less, especially after I went into a bar the other day and literally saw everyone staring down at their phones instead of talking and I realized how ridiculous it is. I may downgrade to pager/pay phone.

My favorite is when that happens at a concert or a movie.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
My favorite is when that happens at a concert or a movie.

I honestly think certain places need to have technology that disables phones completely. If you're an ER doctor or something you can leave the venue to check your phone periodically.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
I honestly think certain places need to have technology that disables phones completely.

:lolhitting we could use the cell phone jamming equipment we use in every military vehicle.. Just install one system somewhere in the bar and watch as people actually have to interact with each other.. it would be fascinating!!

After the rumor that Apple won't announce the next-generation of iPhone in June or July (which was the case with all previous iPhone announcements), comes a report that the new iPhone is actually coming in the fall.

While Apple's suppliers will begin production in July this year, the finished product is likely to begin shipping in September, Reuters reports citing sources familiar with the matter.

As for what the actual features of the next-gen iPhone, the details are scarce as always; one of Reuters' sources claims the device will look similar to the iPhone 4, but it will feature a faster processor.

To quickly piece together all the iPhone rumors and reports we've seen, this is what we have: the white version of the iPhone 4 should become available within 2-3 weeks; the iPhone 5 (if that's what Apple will call it) will be an evolutionary upgrade, visually similar to the iPhone 4 but with a better camera, processor and a bigger screen.

Link

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 02:37 PM)
people do that on their own already when they constantly feel the need to "check-in" everywhere they go on their yelp app :lol:

not everyone. "check-in" is a very small segment of the population. This tracks EVERY iPhone user who has iOS4 on their phone without them even knowing it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
Any phone with location services turned on it doing that. Which means pretty much every smart phone.

Pardon my ignorance, is the phone logging your ever movement 24/7? Is it storing that data in a place that is easy to access/unencrypted?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
Pardon my ignorance, is the phone logging your ever movement 24/7? Is it storing that data in a place that is easy to access/unencrypted?

who knows. Your GPS location services is actually sending out your location through the air to a server in a data center. I'm sure its encrypted at some point, but that doesnt mean s***. The gov can access that information easily.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
who knows. Your GPS location services is actually sending out your location through the air to a server in a data center. I'm sure its encrypted at some point, but that doesnt mean s***. The gov can access that information easily.

But the article states that Apple is using triangulated cell towers to track and record your movements. No GPS necessary. Better hope you aren't cheating on a spouse!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 03:06 PM)
But the article states that Apple is using triangulated cell towers to track and record your movements. No GPS necessary. Better hope you aren't cheating on a spouse!

just encrypt your backup data. she'll never find out