Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
I'm pretty sure they're about the same size. It has a faster chip in it though.

I, for one, love the large screen. I've got huge hands and don't think I could ever go back to a smaller sized screen.

I couldn't agree more. And it fits fine in the pocket because it's so slim. The EVO is perfection.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
Anyone have Sprint? Is the unlimited plan really only 100 bucks a month?

Yes.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
I have Sprint and pay 79.99 for 450 minutes and unlimited data and text. I never come remotely close to going over my minutes since it's free mobile to mobile (any carrier) and free nights and weekends.

This. My bill comes in at under $80 with all the taxes. I've never approached my 450 minutes. It's called the "Everything 450".

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
Wow. I pay 190 a month for unlimited with ATT. I may actually do some research on this today. My companies have all picked up the bill for about the last 10 years, but now they only give me a certain amount a month and 100 bucks sounds damn good.

You are getting raped.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 12:31 PM)
Interesting.. With taxes, how much does the bill usually stand at? I get charged with 10 dollars in taxes which puts my ATT bill at around 106 a month for one iphone.

Just tell them you work with some company (I went Blockbuster) and you get a discount. 17% just like Marko.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 03:01 PM)
who knows. Your GPS location services is actually sending out your location through the air to a server in a data center. I'm sure its encrypted at some point, but that doesnt mean s***. The gov can access that information easily.

Evo has a toggle switch to shut off GPS. Not that I ever have it off, but that is an option for the felon in all of us.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 05:16 PM)
Just tell them you work with some company (I went Blockbuster) and you get a discount. 17% just like Marko.

i will try this.. BigSqwert really turned me on to the whole switching to sprint thing.. saving 30 dollars on my cell phone bill would be tremendous.. and to have a phone as cool as the EVO 3D would be awesome, i just hope its slim enough to fit into my skin tight leather pants that i wear during motorcycle riding season..

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 05:16 PM)

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 05:26 PM)
i will try this.. BigSqwert really turned me on to the whole switching to sprint thing.. saving 30 dollars on my cell phone bill would be tremendous.. and to have a phone as cool as the EVO 3D would be awesome, i just hope its slim enough to fit into my skin tight leather pants that i wear during motorcycle riding season..

Might as well tell them you work for HTC or Motorola. You'll probably get a bigger discount. I actually worked for Motorola back in 2000 and my Sprint discount was 23% back then.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
Again...I have no idea what I'd do if I had those abilities. I've never used a smartphone.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I just surf the net, read my emails, and use the GPS on my phone. Thats about it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 10:28 AM)
I was thinking the same thing when I read that. I just surf the net, read my emails, and use the GPS on my phone. Thats about it.

Seeing that modern smart phones can replace at least 50 other gadgets that you may own, it might be a good idea to maximize what you get out of the phone.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 10:18 AM)
:lolhitting

I've had to consciously make an effort to not use the phone much when I'm with my wife. It's hard but I've come a long way.

It really is hard. I'm actually starting to leave my phone at home a lot when I go out with peeps or just leave it in the car.

Now I notice how some people can't go more than a couple minutes without checking there phone.

That said, the capabilities on all of these phones now a days are pretty amazing. I just don't know what to do with all of the stuff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 03:15 PM)
You should trade that for a Chris Paul background.

Nah, Steve will have to throw in a little more than just a Rose background for Chris Paul. Afterall, Paul is about to be named the youngest MVP in league history and has played out of his mind all year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 20, 2011 -> 03:16 PM)

If you guys need a bigger discount percentage on sprint, you can check on slickdeals.net or let me know. NOt sure if they verify or run a check, but mine is at 24% through work.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
Seeing that modern smart phones can replace at least 50 other gadgets that you may own, it might be a good idea to maximize what you get out of the phone.

Its only a matter of time until all of our credit cards and everything are on our phones.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 10:47 AM)
Yup, I even checked into my flights with my phone and I got an e-ticket that they scanned from my phones screen. Ridiculous.

Right. And how about the Starbucks app where you can scan your phone to get a drink there.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
This is already being incorporated to a limited extent.

Ya. I know they have some gift certificates available that you can use (starbucks being one of them) and the eticket for planes is pretty sweet. Anything that means I don't have to carry a wallet is pretty nice.