Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
Senator Franken's letter to Steve Jobs

They need someone to explain to these guys that the location information is only stored on the computer that you synch your device with and can only show location data when paired with an ap. Its not like you open a file and theres a map of everywhere you go and what you do.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
They need someone to explain to these guys that the location information is only stored on the computer that you synch your device with and can only show location data when paired with an ap. Its not like you open a file and theres a map of everywhere you go and what you do.

But what is the purpose of it and why haven't users been informed? And why is it unencrypted?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
But what is the purpose of it and why haven't users been informed? And why is it unencrypted?

Its only unencrypted if you didnt check the box on the backup options when you sync your iphone. My data is all encrypted, and then encrypted again by me.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
Its only unencrypted if you didnt check the box on the backup options when you sync your iphone. My data is all encrypted, and then encrypted again by me.

I'd bet a lot of people aren't aware of or understand that option in iOS4.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
I'd bet a lot of people aren't aware of or understand that option in iOS4.

Those people also probably wouldnt be able to figure out how to use the location information. I guess if someone stole your PC and really wanted to know where you were the past few months that would be an issue.

I find it a much bigger issue that the cell phone carriers are tracking and storing remotely your GPS location information. Thats a much bigger privacy issue IMO.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 02:08 PM)
I find it a much bigger issue that the cell phone carriers are tracking and storing remotely your GPS location information. Thats a much bigger privacy issue IMO.

I think they're equally troubling.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 03:08 PM)
Those people also probably wouldnt be able to figure out how to use the location information. I guess if someone stole your PC and really wanted to know where you were the past few months that would be an issue.

The ACLU is currently suing the state of Michigan over a program the ACLU says involves the state of Michigan remotely downloading all available data from cell phones and other internet capable devices every time there is a traffic stop.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 03:19 PM)
They also clearly know where your car is all the time as well. With technology comes a definite decrease in privacy.

Let's be clear though...the latter is only true because that's how the laws have been written. There is no a priori reason why that has to happen for the technology to work. There's no obvious reason why the privacy settings in phasebook, or in the ifone, etc., have to be "automatically set for less privacy" where you have to opt-in to increase it. Encrypting recorded data could (and probably should) be the default setting. Not sharing everything on facebook ought to be the default setting. Not having the government collect and store all your emails probably ought to be the default.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
Let's be clear though...the latter is only true because that's how the laws have been written. There is no a priori reason why that has to happen for the technology to work. There's no obvious reason why the privacy settings in phasebook, or in the ifone, etc., have to be "automatically set for less privacy" where you have to opt-in to increase it. Encrypting recorded data could (and probably should) be the default setting. Not sharing everything on facebook ought to be the default setting. Not having the government collect and store all your emails probably ought to be the default.

Zuckerberg always wanted the member's data, they'll never default towards sharing less.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 21, 2011 -> 04:56 PM)
Zuckerberg always wanted the member's data, they'll never default towards sharing less.

But the only reason he's able to do that is that the laws are written to allow it.

The laws are written such that the default setting is less personal rights and more corporate rights. It did not have to be that way.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 08:07 AM)

This is about the 3rd time I've said this to you now, so I'm going to try to be as clear as possible. "I don't care about the price. It's being paid by another person's grant money because I taught his class this term, freeing him up to do actual work."

Thanks for the suggestion though. Deals just are bouncing off of me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 08:20 AM)
This is about the 3rd time I've said this to you now, so I'm going to try to be as clear as possible. "I don't care about the price. It's being paid by another person's grant money because I taught his class this term, freeing him up to do actual work."

A good way to stick out at work is to save the company money where you can.

*shrugs shoulders*

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
A good way to stick out at work is to save the company money where you can.

*shrugs shoulders*

Discounts that are offered for private purchases almost never transfer over to corporate purchases, the large purchaser will have established a bulk-buy program where they don't worry about day to day price offers. Learned that rapidly when I started having to buy electronics through the university a few years ago...the university gets a solid price, but they do so on the corporate models, and they just bill for that. The day to day offers have no impact on the corporate price.

Plus, this place doesn't have any deal with VZN, sadly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 22, 2011 -> 08:20 AM)

Damn, dude. He's just trying to help.

Google knows where your Droid is also.. May not be sitting on your own hard drive in unencrypted format, but it probably is sitting somewhere on Google's

Apple Inc.'s iPhones and Google Inc.'s Android smartphones regularly transmit their locations back to Apple and Google, respectively, according to data and documents analyzed by The Wall Street Journal—intensifying concerns over privacy and the widening trade in personal data.

Google and Apple are gathering location information as part of their race to build massive databases capable of pinpointing people's locations via their cellphones. These databases could help them tap the $2.9 billion market for location-based services—expected to rise to $8.3 billion in 2014, according to research firm Gartner Inc.

In the case of Google, according to new research by security analyst Samy Kamkar, an HTC Android phone collected its location every few seconds and transmitted the data to Google at least several times an hour. It also transmitted the name, location and signal strength of any nearby Wi-Fi networks, as well as a unique phone identifier.

Google declined to comment on the findings.

Until last year, Google was collecting similar Wi-Fi data with its fleet of StreetView cars that map and photograph streets world-wide. The company shut down its StreetView Wi-Fi collection last year after it inadvertently collected e-mail addresses, passwords and other personal information from Wi-Fi networks. The data that Mr. Kamkar observed being transmitted on Android phones didn't include such personal information.

Apple, meanwhile, says it "intermittently" collects location data, including GPS coordinates, of many iPhone users and nearby Wi-Fi networks and transmits that data to itself every 12 hours, according to a letter the company sent to U.S. Reps. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) and Joe Barton (R-Texas) last year. Apple didn't respond to requests for comment.