Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 10, 2011 -> 10:59 AM)
Really? I always thought they were close w/ Sony since Skype has been on the PSP for half a decade now.

Not that I am aware of. They've actually bounced around. They were sold to ebay a few years ago, then sold back a few years later after ebay forgot to buy an important part of Skype.

I don't have a tablet but this seems cool:

Google has just announced Android 3.1, and it's rolling out to Verizon Xoom 3G customers today. It brings with it resizeable widgets, and a new host mode that will let you import photos to your tablet directly from your digital camera, and use a "ridiculous" number of USB devices, including an Xbox 360 controller. It will also be hitting Google TV sometime "this summer," complete with Android Market.
Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 10, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
They just announced $1.99 movie rentals form the Android Market. I wonder what the quality will be like.

probably pretty good. I love that they will "pin" the movie to your device if you will be without data connectivity.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 10, 2011 -> 11:24 AM)
probably pretty good. I love that they will "pin" the movie to your device if you will be without data connectivity.

Too bad for Netflix waiting so damn long to roll out to all Android devices. They just lost me as a mobile consumer.

BTW, this should work quite well with the EVO and hdmi out.

Edited by BigSqwert

OMG Fragmentation!!! crowd also addressed:

"One OS that runs everywhere." There you have it, folks! Google intends to meld its Honeycomb tablet wares and Gingerbread smartphone software into one delicious Ice Cream Sandwich. Maybe that's why the "sandwich" bit is in the name? Either way, it'll be a universal OS that runs on everything from teeny tiny Android phones to 10-inch tablets and will intelligently adapt to each form factor with things like a resizable status bar. Some other fancy new additions are being demonstrated right now, including face-tracking and camera focus shifting based on voice recognition.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 10, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
LOL, you need to use a better bittorrent client.

Like what?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 10, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
what are you using to download movies?

I use Utorrent. I've been downloading songs/movies for over 10 years now, and torrents as recently as like 2 or 3 years. No idea why I all the sudden got pegged. I've even downloaded from the same user for all my movies. But then I download 2 movies, the first two I've downloaded since Winter Break, and all the sudden I get hit, for both of them.

Why do people put those trackers in the torrent? Isn't that what did me in? So should I just give up on downloading movies, or is there a safer way? Should I still download songs, since I don't use torrents for songs? I just use a program much like Limewire for songs.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 10, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
This addresses the "but all the accessories out there are for Apple products" crowd.

Google announces Android Open Accessory standard, Arduino-based ADK

But it doesnt. And the reason it wont is because ipods+iphones trump all android devices. Cars will always have an ipod/iphone input first because thats the predominant music player. I bet more than half of android phone users own an ipod.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ May 10, 2011 -> 12:03 PM)
Like what?

I use Utorrent. I've been downloading songs/movies for over 10 years now, and torrents as recently as like 2 or 3 years. No idea why I all the sudden got pegged. I've even downloaded from the same user for all my movies. But then I download 2 movies, the first two I've downloaded since Winter Break, and all the sudden I get hit, for both of them.

Why do people put those trackers in the torrent? Isn't that what did me in? So should I just give up on downloading movies, or is there a safer way? Should I still download songs, since I don't use torrents for songs? I just use a program much like Limewire for songs.

Hmm, thats strange. I wonder what it was with those two movies. I use Vuze and havent gotten hit yet.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 10, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
But it doesnt. And the reason it wont is because ipods+iphones trump all android devices. Cars will always have an ipod/iphone input first because thats the predominant music player. I bet more than half of android phone users own an ipod.

I don't think this will be true indefinitely. The # of android devices activated per day, the number of apps available, and the selection of devices are indicators that Android will completely overtake the market in no time. There are already car manufacturers using Android. When Android starts getting well over 50% of market share it would be idiotic not to have the support in vehicles when their new accessory standardization takes affect.

EDIT: And standalone music players are already becoming irrelevant with modern smart phones taking over. Sure everyone had an iPod for the last 6 years but people are shifting to all in one devices.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 10, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
I don't think this will be true indefinitely. The # of android devices activated per day, the number of apps available, and the selection of devices are indicators that Android will completely overtake the market in no time. There are already car manufacturers using Android. When Android starts getting well over 50% of market share it would be idiotic not to have the support in vehicles when their new accessory standardization takes affect.

50% market share of what? How many android music players are out there? People use the ipod input for music. Bluetooth integration will beat any standard connector on android phones for using the phone and also adequately streaming music. For CD quality sound, ipods are still the rule of thumb in cars, at home and on the move.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 10, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
50% market share of what? How many android music players are out there? People use the ipod input for music. Bluetooth integration will beat any standard connector on android phones for using the phone and also adequately streaming music. For CD quality sound, ipods are still the rule of thumb in cars, at home and on the move.

So Android doesn't use bluetooth? Where have you been?

Pretty dumb for car manufacturers and others to ignore this:

100 million activated Android devices

400,000 new Android devices activated every day

200,000 free and paid applications available in Android Market

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 10, 2011 -> 12:30 PM)
I

EDIT: And standalone music players are already becoming irrelevant with modern smart phones taking over. Sure everyone had an iPod for the last 6 years but people are shifting to all in one devices.

False. Ipod sales are up year over year. They sold 9 million in Q2 FY 11

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 10, 2011 -> 12:35 PM)
So Android doesn't use bluetooth? Where have you been?

Pretty dumb for car manufacturers and others to ignore this:

100 million activated Android devices

400,000 new Android devices activated every day

200,000 free and paid applications available in Android Market

Actually I said the bluetooth integration will be there before any standard connector in cars, meaning its easier for manufacturers to use that instead of trying a new hardware standard. And those android devices are phone primarily like I said, and are still outnumbered by iphones and ipods by quite a bit. If you are a car manufacturer you address the market and see that a single connector type that is much more prevalent than the other and you make a decision to go with it. Do you realize how many people own something with an ipod connection on it? Apple sold 189 million IOS devices up to the end of march this year.

\

More than 70 percent of 2007 model year cars offer iPod integration.

Edited by RockRaines

And let me an my opinion if I was the designer of this "standard"

Make it play nice with already established ipod connectors. Make people able to buy a 1 dollar adapter online that can hook into ipod connectors and power and play android devices. Make it so that companies like iHome can offer one product to the masses but with two connector options than can be included in the box.

That would be a good business move IMO.

Maybe then I could move to an EVO.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 10, 2011 -> 12:48 PM)
And let me an my opinion if I was the designer of this "standard"

Make it play nice with already established ipod connectors. Make people able to buy a 1 dollar adapter online that can hook into ipod connectors and power and play android devices. Make it so that companies like iHome can offer one product to the masses but with two connector options than can be included in the box.

That would be a good business move IMO.

Maybe then I could move to an EVO.

You can thank Apple for making sure that won't ever happen since they decided to use proprietary connectors for their devices. Most Android devices use standard connectors like micro or mini USB.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 10, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)

I'll blame that on Apple making sure most people need 2 devices by limiting memory card storage (unless you want to pay a million dollars for a high capacity storage device) and not allowing you to interchange sd cards.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 10, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)

I have no idea where you got this statement.

Apple sold 3.76 million Macs during the quarter, a 28 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 18.65 million iPhones in the quarter, representing 113 percent unit growth over the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 9.02 million iPods during the quarter, representing a 17 percent unit decline from the year-ago quarter. The Company also sold 4.69 million iPads during the quarter.
iPod sales peaked in around 2008. They've been declining as iPhone sales (including mine now!) surged.