Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (bmags @ May 24, 2011 -> 02:44 PM)
i don't get the nook for the price. It's like they are going halfway b/w kindel and ipad.

bad comparison, an e-reader isn't a tablet and a tablet isn't an e-reader. Different markets for different purposes.

I went with the nook because it allowed me to read open-source books, like stuff off of project gutenberg and borrowed library books. The Kindle doesn't (or at least didn't).

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 24, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
bad comparison, an e-reader isn't a tablet and a tablet isn't an e-reader. Different markets for different purposes.

I went with the nook because it allowed me to read open-source books, like stuff off of project gutenberg and borrowed library books. The Kindle doesn't (or at least didn't).

The Kindle is adding library checkout support and I head in passing yesterday that the Kindle is adding ePub support.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 24, 2011 -> 08:46 PM)

But their "ereader" is a lot more expensive than the kindle, but they justify it with more features.

"Editor's Choice" –CNET, 11/23/2010

Stunning full color touchscreen

Enhanced books, magazines,

newspapers, & interactive kids books

Fun social features + surf the web

NEW! Popular Apps, Email & Enhanced Web

$249

QUOTE (bmags @ May 24, 2011 -> 04:02 PM)
But their "ereader" is a lot more expensive than the kindle, but they justify it with more features.

"Editor's Choice" –CNET, 11/23/2010

Stunning full color touchscreen

Enhanced books, magazines,

newspapers, & interactive kids books

Fun social features + surf the web

NEW! Popular Apps, Email & Enhanced Web

$249

The nook color is stupid imo and I don't know why it exists.

edit 2:

The nook color is more like a tablet than an eReader due to its screen. Rumors are 3M shipped already.

edit: the original nook was $149 or $159 when I bought it last September, now you can get it for $119.

Edited by StrangeSox

[Google] has now officially announced its NFC-based Google Wallet mobile payment service, complete with backing from a number of retail and financial partners including Subway, Macy's, Walgreens, Toys 'R Us, First Data, Citibank and MasterCard -- plus Sprint on the carrier side. In the case of MasterCard, that partnership means Google Wallet will be fully compatible with the PayPass contactless payment system that's already widely in place. Trials are beginning immediately, with a full release planned for this summer -- initially, it will only support the Sprint Nexus S 4G, but support for more phones is promised "over time." What's more, as far as Google is concerned, mobile payments are just the beginning for Google Wallet. It eventually sees everything from boarding passes to tickets to IDs to keys being stored on your phone.

Also announced is Google Offers, which will deliver an "offer of the day" to your inbox, and let you seek out other offers from retailers. Of course, it also ties into Google Wallet, and you'll be able to both redeem offers and receive loyalty rewards from retailers with just a tap of your NFC-enabled phone.

via

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
Yeah good luck refreshing all coke machines. I use this feature on my phone at Starbucks.

You do realize Apple will be implementing a similar system in their phone too, right?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:26 PM)
You do realize Apple will be implementing a similar system in their phone too, right?

Doesn't mean the coke machines will all be replaced. That's the weak link in things like this. Vending machines are operated by independent organizations and most likely they wouldn't budget for a whole fleet refresh.

The starbucks ap on my iPhone at strabucks is very awesome though

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:28 PM)
Doesn't mean the coke machines will all be replaced. That's the weak link in things like this. Vending machines are operated by independent organizations and most likely they wouldn't budget for a whole fleet refresh.

The starbucks ap on my iPhone at strabucks is very awesome though

Why are you focusing on vending machines? There are a limitless number of uses for this such as...

a number of retail and financial partners including Subway, Macy's, Walgreens, Toys 'R Us, First Data, Citibank and MasterCard -- plus Sprint on the carrier side.

...which is from the original article.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
Why are you focusing on vending machines? There are a limitless number of uses for this such as...

...which is from the original article.

Because I was focusing on the vending machine video that was posted. The rest sounds awesome.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 26, 2011 -> 01:35 PM)
Agreed. f*** carrying around a wallet of credit cards.

They already sell protective sleeves to put your cards with the Fast Tap technology in so people can't remotely steal the information. What's the odds of getting your phone hacked?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 26, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
They already sell protective sleeves to put your cards with the Fast Tap technology in so people can't remotely steal the information. What's the odds of getting your phone hacked?

The fact that this is fairly routine in Japan leaves me hopeful this is something that can be overcome.

Anyone utilize Apple Airplay yet?

I was about a day away from pulling the trigger on setting up my house for "whole house music" (since my house is a cape cod without an attic it was going to be like $8k with a bunch of that in labor) when Gizmodo posted this article: http://gizmodo.com/5696379/how-apples-airp...hange-your-life

So, I decided to wait Airplay out, and now six months later the only speakers that are available (as far as I can tell) is this Zeppelin thing ( http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS319ZM/A ) that is expensive, and my wife isn't thrilled about having in every room of our house (imagine that in the bathroom).

All I want is simple speakers (in wall would be awesome), and they still don't appear to be on the market.

Am I missing something?

QUOTE (GREEDY @ May 26, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
Anyone utilize Apple Airplay yet?

I was about a day away from pulling the trigger on setting up my house for "whole house music" (since my house is a cape cod without an attic it was going to be like $8k with a bunch of that in labor) when Gizmodo posted this article: http://gizmodo.com/5696379/how-apples-airp...hange-your-life

So, I decided to wait Airplay out, and now six months later the only speakers that are available (as far as I can tell) is this Zeppelin thing ( http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS319ZM/A ) that is expensive, and my wife isn't thrilled about having in every room of our house (imagine that in the bathroom).

All I want is simple speakers (in wall would be awesome), and they still don't appear to be on the market.

Am I missing something?

I use it through my AppleTV, which I have connected to my TV in the basement. Upstairs, I have my Mac, and it wirelessly streams anything on it's iTunes to that TV/surround system downstairs. I can also play anything off of my iPhone or iPad2 to that TV, too. It just streams over my houses wireless N network.

My entire house is Wireless for Internet/streaming, including my Xbox360, my printer, etc.

AppleTV's cost 99$ and hook into your current tv/speaker system. There are also many other wireless speaker systems available that work much the same way.

Here is a bit more information with some cheaper alternatives than what you listed above.

http://airplayspeakers.com/airplay-speaker...d-alternatives/

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 26, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)
I use it through my AppleTV, which I have connected to my TV in the basement. Upstairs, I have my Mac, and it wirelessly streams anything on it's iTunes to that TV/surround system downstairs. I can also play anything off of my iPhone or iPad2 to that TV, too. It just streams over my houses wireless N network.

My entire house is Wireless for Internet/streaming, including my Xbox360, my printer, etc.

AppleTV's cost 99$ and hook into your current tv/speaker system. There are also many other wireless speaker systems available that work much the same way.

Here is a bit more information with some cheaper alternatives than what you listed above.

http://airplayspeakers.com/airplay-speaker...d-alternatives/

Thanks so much for the reply.

I really don't want to have to have a seperate large receiver in every room that I have the speakers. Does that Denon work wirelessly throughout the whole house? IE can I just have the one receiver and run twelve speakers throughout the house off that one receiver and be able to easily choose which speakers via my ipad or iphone are playing what music? I can't tell for sure.

The way it is advertised is to be like Sonos where you just have speakers hardwired anywhere and they will just play independently if you want.... but as far as I can tell the Zep speaker is the only one that works this way.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ May 26, 2011 -> 04:09 PM)
Thanks so much for the reply.

I really don't want to have to have a seperate large receiver in every room that I have the speakers. Does that Denon work wirelessly throughout the whole house? IE can I just have the one receiver and run twelve speakers throughout the house off that one receiver and be able to easily choose which speakers via my ipad or iphone are playing what music? I can't tell for sure.

The way it is advertised is to be like Sonos where you just have speakers hardwired anywhere and they will just play independently if you want.... but as far as I can tell the Zep speaker is the only one that works this way.

That would be something controlled by the receiver itself, so for what you are asking, it appears that's exactly what the Zep speaker system was specifically designed for. However, I highly doubt they are the only one on the market that does that, there are probably alternatives that are cheaper.