Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 24, 2011 -> 02:42 PM)
Sounds like the next EVO will be fully locked. Looks like I'll be looking elsewhere for my next replacement.

HTC officially dissolves locked bootloader policy

This is after their facebook and twitter were bombarded by thousands of complaints this week. Yay to social media power!

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 27, 2011 -> 07:11 AM)
HTC officially dissolves locked bootloader policy

This is after their facebook and twitter were bombarded by thousands of complaints this week. Yay to social media power!

I don't know why they bother with that garbage anyway, that stuff is also hacked within days. Locked bootloader or not, people were going to hack that thing.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 27, 2011 -> 07:56 AM)
I don't know why they bother with that garbage anyway, that stuff is also hacked within days. Locked bootloader or not, people were going to hack that thing.

The key here was locked and encrypted. No one was going to break the encryption. Hence the uproar.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 27, 2011 -> 08:13 AM)
:lolhitting

Well sure it might happen in a few years but who the heck is going to bother when new phones come out all of the time? The developers won't even waster their time on those phones. Just look at the Droid X as the perfect example. Their bootloader is encrypted and there are no true custom ROMs and kernels available for that phone. 256 bit encryption will not be cracked any time soon so no one will bother.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 27, 2011 -> 08:27 AM)
Well sure it might happen in a few years but who the heck is going to bother when new phones come out all of the time? The developers won't even waster their time on those phones. Just look at the Droid X as the perfect example. Their bootloader is encrypted and there are no true custom ROMs and kernels available for that phone. 256 bit encryption will not be cracked any time soon so no one will bother.

I agree, and for the reasons you stated above. The main reason these haven't been cracked is because there are just too many viable alternatives to bother. There aren't many hackers attempting to crack these keys because they can just buy a superior device that isn't encrypted or controlled in this manner.

I'm not an Android person, as you know, but if I was, I wouldn't even consider these devices. If they're that worried about locking me down, I'd go elsewhere with my business.

The biggest problem I have with Android devices at the moment is that you have to hack them to make them good...I'm not into that hacker crap anymore, so I just use my iPhone, which I'm perfectly happy with unhacked.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:02 AM)
I agree, and for the reasons you stated above. The main reason these haven't been cracked is because there are just too many viable alternatives to bother. There aren't many hackers attempting to crack these keys because they can just buy a superior device that isn't encrypted or controlled in this manner.

I'm not an Android person, as you know, but if I was, I wouldn't even consider these devices. If they're that worried about locking me down, I'd go elsewhere with my business.

The biggest problem I have with Android devices at the moment is that you have to hack them to make them good...I'm not into that hacker crap anymore, so I just use my iPhone, which I'm perfectly happy with unhacked.

The next wave of phones are pretty ridiculous. They look to be pretty awesome out of the box but I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
The next wave of phones are pretty ridiculous. They look to be pretty awesome out of the box but I guess I'll believe it when I see it.

It's really not Android that's the problem, it's the manufacturers messing with it and sticking their garbage on it.

Take any non-Google branded phone and you HAVE to hack it for numerous reasons. Take a Droid for example, hack it and you'll GAIN 50% battery life, speed, and overall smoothness. And I'm not talking about a little bit, I mean, it's NOTICEABLE. To me, that's unacceptable...and I wish they'd knock it off.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
It's really not Android that's the problem, it's the manufacturers messing with it and sticking their garbage on it.

Take any non-Google branded phone and you HAVE to hack it for numerous reasons. Take a Droid for example, hack it and you'll GAIN 50% battery life, speed, and overall smoothness. And I'm not talking about a little bit, I mean, it's NOTICEABLE. To me, that's unacceptable...and I wish they'd knock it off.

I can't disagree with you. And like I said, the new superphones seem to avoid those issues. Just read the review for the Galaxy S II. The phone seems pretty badass out of the box.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:17 AM)
I can't disagree with you. And like I said, the new superphones seem to avoid those issues. Just read the review for the Galaxy S II. The phone seems pretty badass out of the box.

The only problem with the Galaxy is who makes it. They have a history of non-updates or slow updates or outright not supporting old hardware (and by old, I mean a few months old). Samsung has a terrible history of non support...I just don't know if I trust them anymore.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ May 27, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
The only problem with the Galaxy is who makes it. They have a history of non-updates or slow updates or outright not supporting old hardware (and by old, I mean a few months old). Samsung has a terrible history of non support...I just don't know if I trust them anymore.

Yeah but if I were to get that phone I'd hack it and throw Cyanogenmod on it and could care less about Samsung updates.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 27, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
And you're right back to having to hack the phone....

But reading the review of that phone, it clearly states that it's top notch out of the box. I personally prefer to run Cyanogen.

And Samsung phones are getting Gingerbread OS updates rolled out. Other manufactures haven't done that yet including HTC and its EVO.

Edited by BigSqwert

It's happening again.

I have Comcast internet and for the past few years, every time it gets really hot outside, my internet begins disconnecting. My router will not connect. Then nighttime comes or a day when it is cooler, and the internet works fine again.

WTF?

I have never heard of or experienced anything like this in my life.

Evo has started to get their gingerbread rollouts today. Updated Icons and text messages coming out of order has been fixed apparently.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a Zune like mediaplayer for their EVO or Android device, Fede's Music App is it. By far the best music app for Android phones. Litearlly looks like a Zune interface and scrolling is fantastic. It's still in it's Alpha stages, but I haven't noticed anything crash yet.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 06:10 PM)
Evo has started to get their gingerbread rollouts today. Updated Icons and text messages coming out of order has been fixed apparently.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a Zune like mediaplayer for their EVO or Android device, Fede's Music App is it. By far the best music app for Android phones. Litearlly looks like a Zune interface and scrolling is fantastic. It's still in it's Alpha stages, but I haven't noticed anything crash yet.

installed... now to figure out what it does.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
It's happening again.

I have Comcast internet and for the past few years, every time it gets really hot outside, my internet begins disconnecting. My router will not connect. Then nighttime comes or a day when it is cooler, and the internet works fine again.

WTF?

I have never heard of or experienced anything like this in my life.

thats crazy, i was having the same issues the past couple days when it gets really hot out.