Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
It's happening again.

I have Comcast internet and for the past few years, every time it gets really hot outside, my internet begins disconnecting. My router will not connect. Then nighttime comes or a day when it is cooler, and the internet works fine again.

WTF?

I have never heard of or experienced anything like this in my life.

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jun 4, 2011 -> 04:45 PM)
thats crazy, i was having the same issues the past couple days when it gets really hot out.

This happens a lot in older plants. When we got up past 90 when Comcast owned the system here in Dallas, there would be certain places you could count on to lose service. Any type of electrical equipment that is older like this will over heat and shut down.

Time Warner came in and upgraded - it happens a lot less frequently now because the old plant got replaced with fiber. I'd imagine there's still quite a few places in an older system that has older nodes and old copper technology.

QUOTE (PeavyTime @ Jun 3, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
It's happening again.

I have Comcast internet and for the past few years, every time it gets really hot outside, my internet begins disconnecting. My router will not connect. Then nighttime comes or a day when it is cooler, and the internet works fine again.

WTF?

I have never heard of or experienced anything like this in my life.

We used to have similar problems. The cable and/or connectors coming into your house/condo/apartment are bad. It took two years and probably 12 tech visits before one of them actually bothered to diagnose the problem. He then had to call in a different crew (two-man job) and warned us that they'd probably try to say it was something else. They did, but we stood firm and made them replace the stuff. Finally worked correctly after that.

Comcast is the worst.

Yeah, usually when that happens, wires nees to be replaced with RG6 I think it is and new connectors should be put in. Used to happen to my living room tv all the time because the connectors were bad and the second Comcast guy who came in to finish the job ended up beding the cable right at the tip and was snapped off basically. Sometimes it would work fuzzy, but most of the time, it just cut off. Made digital tv worse than analog. The good thing is, we would end up getting all our channels screwed up and we wouldn't get the most basic channels like NBC, ABC, and CBS. BUTTTTTT, in their places we have Showtime on CBS2, HBO on NBC5, Encore on Telemundo, and Starz on Univision.

I felt like Joey and Chandler in that episode of friends when they got free subscription tv and didn't want to cancel or walkaway because they didn't know when it was going to end. And it never did until I cancelled Comcast to go with Wow.

So it appears as though Apple is diving full force into this "cloud" concept as well with their announcement of iCloud yesterday.

Looks like we are going to continue to see faster, smaller, more capable devices without being cramped up with hard drive storage. Not that we didn't see this coming with the iPads, but this seems to confirm the trend of accessing media via the internet rather than storing it on your device.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
So it appears as though Apple is diving full force into this "cloud" concept as well with their announcement of iCloud yesterday.

Looks like we are going to continue to see faster, smaller, more capable devices without being cramped up with hard drive storage. Not that we didn't see this coming with the iPads, but this seems to confirm the trend of accessing media via the internet rather than storing it on your device.

Can you explain to me how this will thrive in smaller towns with lousy 3g/4g and people like me who take the train underground to work?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 07:34 AM)
Can you explain to me how this will thrive in smaller towns with lousy 3g/4g and people like me who take the train underground to work?

I don't know...I don't really have an opinion on this or the answers to it...just making an observation.

I am not technical genius, but it seems like the solid state drives they are using are too expensive to manufacture above 100 gigs or so, so they are shifting storage online rather than in the devices.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
I don't know...I don't really have an opinion on this or the answers to it...just making an observation.

I am not technical genius, but it seems like the solid state drives they are using are too expensive to manufacture above 100 gigs or so, so they are shifting storage online rather than in the devices.

Sounds like another case where the hardware is just ahead of the network. I guess that's the way AT&T wants the world to be.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2011 -> 08:54 AM)
Sounds like another case where the hardware is just ahead of the network. I guess that's the way AT&T wants the world to be.

No, I think it's actually the other way around...they can't manufacture solid state drives cheaply enough for these devices to be at the price points they desire, so they are shifting the storage onto the network to make up for the lack of inexpensive hardware.

A GOOGLE homepage doodle posted last week honouring guitar legend Les Paul has cost the world $268 million, despite only setting the internet giant back a mere $15,000, Extreme Tech says.

Extreme Tech says the amount covers 10.7 million man-hours in lost productivity, assuming the average Google user earns $25 an hour.

Link

I don't know how the iCloud would work in a day and age of data caps. What if you want to watch a movie you uploaded to it, or listen to an album, only to find out you downloaded too much for the week and your ISP has throttled you. And if you use iCloud in conjunction with Netflix/Hulu/Online gaming, I could see yourself shattering your data cap.

Or maybe, I'm wrong and I don't know how it works.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 6, 2011 -> 01:51 AM)
How long ago? Mine was a few weeks.

But damn, the song upload understandably takes forever.

Got my invite over the weekend. I started the upload around 4 yesterday, and just checked via the browser at work... 1,500+ songs in, 2,500+ to go. It might be done uploading them all by Wednesday.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jun 17, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)
I don't know how the iCloud would work in a day and age of data caps. What if you want to watch a movie you uploaded to it, or listen to an album, only to find out you downloaded too much for the week and your ISP has throttled you. And if you use iCloud in conjunction with Netflix/Hulu/Online gaming, I could see yourself shattering your data cap.

Or maybe, I'm wrong and I don't know how it works.

All of these data caps we are seeing are a short term solution to limited capacity. As advances are made, you will see such things disappear. Just like we saw the old modem disappear, etc.

I remember a time, dialing into BBS's, that depending on your call prefix, you would be charged by the minute on a sliding scale of distance.

There wasn't just long distance.

There was Class A calls (Initial connect is charged, and is untimed/free from that point on), Class B (Initial connect, +2 cents a minute), Class C (Initial charge, + 8 cents a minute, Class D (Initial charge, +15 cents a minute), and THEN there was long distance, and THEN there was international.

Almost all of that is gone today. The same will be said of data caps in the years to come.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 2, 2011 -> 01:55 PM)
Anyone know how to take an Ipod on a wi-fi network and allow the main PC to access/download the pictures off of it?

On a Wi-Fi network? Yes, with iOS5 and iTunes 10.5, neither of which are out yet (I have both, but I beta test). With a usb cable, you plug it in and open your favorite picture/graphics program and import.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 3, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
On a Wi-Fi network? Yes, with iOS5 and iTunes 10.5, neither of which are out yet (I have both, but I beta test). With a usb cable, you plug it in and open your favorite picture/graphics program and import.

Thanks.