Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 11:57 AM)
you don't like a good ol' fashion Sausage Fest?

No, I just have no need for an invite only service with 1% of the population of Facebook that does nothing but mirror the functionality of Facebook. The only advantage it had was video chat, which Facebook just added...which I wouldn't really call an advantage. People don't use these social networks for video chats or group chats...that's what AIM was for...heh.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
No, I just have no need for an invite only service with 1% of the population of Facebook that does nothing but mirror the functionality of Facebook. The only advantage it had was video chat, which Facebook just added...which I wouldn't really call an advantage. People don't use these social networks for video chats or group chats...that's what AIM was for...heh.

The "circles" feature seems light years ahead of anything facebook is doing. And it looks so much easier to manage than facebook's "groups".

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 12:34 PM)
The "circles" feature seems light years ahead of anything facebook is doing. And it looks so much easier to manage than facebook's "groups".

Yes, but who cares? They are too late to the game to try to put a dent in facebook usership.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 12:41 PM)
Yes, but who cares? They are too late to the game to try to put a dent in facebook usership.

I'd give it a shot. If it fails, so be it.

EDIT: And that's what Friendster and Myspace thought.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)

I was thinking of myspace when I read that post. If you can come up with something better (IE something that limits hacking and spam tags) history shows people would quit facebook in droves.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)

Did those come first though? Facebook took it to the next level. Someone could certainly do it to Facebook, the problem is that it would be difficult to be as revolutionary as Facebook was

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
Did those come first though? Facebook took it to the next level. Someone could certainly do it to Facebook, the problem is that it would be difficult to be as revolutionary as Facebook was

Both Friendster and Myspace were out well before Facebook.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)

Google didn't create the search engine, email, or lots of the things they do now. But they sure took them to the next level. If anyone can beat facebook, that is google.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 06:17 PM)
Google didn't create the search engine, email, or lots of the things they do now. But they sure took them to the next level. If anyone can beat facebook, that is google.

naw, i don't believe it. If something is going to overtake facebook it's going to be something organic that starts off with nothing and grows and grows.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 01:24 PM)
naw, i don't believe it. If something is going to overtake facebook it's going to be something organic that starts off with nothing and grows and grows.

Like WUPHF/WOOF

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)

True, but I still think they are taking on very tough markets in smart phones and social networking. We'll see if they can succeed.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
True, but I still think they are taking on very tough markets in smart phones and social networking. We'll see if they can succeed.

Well Android has been a gigantic success, they just haven't been able to build phones, which Im not surprised at. Google isn't a manufacturing company, and to diversify into such a different area would be tough for any company.

We'll see how Google + works out, they failed pretty bad with their first attempt in Google Buzz, but they are so interconnected with email, smartphone OS, etc that they could do some pretty cool things with those combinations.

I'm in (re: google+). If you want an invite pm me your email address and name.

Initial thoughts:

Love the mobile app. It's gorgeous and easy to navigate. The website looks nice but my first reaction was that it might be a tad too complicated right off the bat. It was pretty easy for me to figure things out rather quickly but I'm a quick learner. I could imagine some dimwits having issues figuring things out like how to create a new circle of people. I'd also think it would be smarter to have as few pages as necessary to convey all of your features. Most people are used to facebook and do almost everything on their initial main screen. Overall a B+ on my first hour or so fiddling with it. Definitely has potential with the excellent integration of mobile OS.

EDIT: You can even view your facebook stream within google+

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 7, 2011 -> 01:44 PM)
Well Android has been a gigantic success, they just haven't been able to build phones, which Im not surprised at. Google isn't a manufacturing company, and to diversify into such a different area would be tough for any company.

We'll see how Google + works out, they failed pretty bad with their first attempt in Google Buzz, but they are so interconnected with email, smartphone OS, etc that they could do some pretty cool things with those combinations.

Android has been successful in garnering a huge user base, mostly because it's free and available on hundreds of devices, even if many of them are downright bad...but it hasn't been very successful in generating profits.

Apple, with just 18% of the entire smartphone market (lagging behind Google, Nokia, etc.) generated over 51% of the profits from said market. One of the big problems is Microsoft owns some important patents in Android, so every Android manufacturer has to pay Microsoft 5$ (or more) for every handset they sell. Yes, that's right...Microsoft is making more money on Android devices than it does on it's own mobile devices.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 8, 2011 -> 09:51 AM)
I'm in (re: google+). If you want an invite pm me your email address and name.

Initial thoughts:

Love the mobile app. It's gorgeous and easy to navigate. The website looks nice but my first reaction was that it might be a tad too complicated right off the bat. It was pretty easy for me to figure things out rather quickly but I'm a quick learner. I could imagine some dimwits having issues figuring things out like how to create a new circle of people. I'd also think it would be smarter to have as few pages as necessary to convey all of your features. Most people are used to facebook and do almost everything on their initial main screen. Overall a B+ on my first hour or so fiddling with it. Definitely has potential with the excellent integration of mobile OS.

EDIT: You can even view your facebook stream within google+

[email protected] please

(ummm not that I think you're not smart enough to figure it out, but just to cover all bases, that's my actual name, the one you know)

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 10, 2011 -> 07:21 PM)
It's time for me to get a new GPS. Any suggestions on a sub $120 GPSs?

Garmin's are routinely onsale at Amazon, got a 4.3" one that I love for like $80 there (no tax either) and it comes with lifetime map updates. I think it's the 1350t or something like that.