Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 11, 2011 -> 07:32 PM)
WTF is a "huddle"? It just takes me to google mobile's page.

A "huddle" will be a group messaging feature where friends in the huddle can text among themselves. A use might be to set up dinner plans, or what party you are going to.

My .02. Obviously I didn't care about it in the first place. But my problem with it is my same problem with all of these google social media products. Mainly: I dont' feel like social media apps can grow top down. I think they need a hardcore small following that gets their friends, so their friends have friends that are using it actively and it's interesting from the getgo. But with google apps you just sit and wait for it to be interesting. And nobody around me is using it. So yeah, it's a cool interface, but you'd be better off doing some astro turf campaign where you give this to some 22 year old and he acts like he invented it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
My .02. Obviously I didn't care about it in the first place. But my problem with it is my same problem with all of these google social media products. Mainly: I dont' feel like social media apps can grow top down. I think they need a hardcore small following that gets their friends, so their friends have friends that are using it actively and it's interesting from the getgo. But with google apps you just sit and wait for it to be interesting. And nobody around me is using it. So yeah, it's a cool interface, but you'd be better off doing some astro turf campaign where you give this to some 22 year old and he acts like he invented it.

So what's your name so I can add you? :)

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:48 AM)

For a totally new idea, that's likely true...but we've seen more than a few times that companies with a significant consumer base have put out a solid product and used that product to butt into territory seemingly dominated by a different company. The smartphone market comes to mind there as an example. As does the browser market. Hell, Google has done pretty much exactly that in both of those cases...they're not the first person to the party like they were with their search, but they put out a solid system and people adopt it for that reason.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:36 AM)
I wonder if the whole social media thing will die down a bit after people become sick from the information overload.

It will regress after people get used to it being around, like anything else.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:39 AM)

So at my house in michigan (SW) we have basically zero cell service outside of some EDGE ATT connectivity. Its alarmingly relaxing when you are "off the grid."

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)
So at my house in michigan (SW) we have basically zero cell service outside of some EDGE ATT connectivity. Its alarmingly relaxing when you are "off the grid."

That won't last.

I roam the countryside camping every year and I see cell coverage improvements every year...it's just a matter of years before you have coverage no matter where you are in the US.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 10:41 AM)

Yea, at my family's cottage in SW Michigan only Verizon had good 3g coverage, everybody else was too "spotty." It was great not having any tv, cellphone, computers to worry about and just focus on family and relaxing at the beach.

BTW, where is your house?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 09:57 AM)
Nah. One thing people never get tired of is talking about themselves.

That's an unfortunate fact for an unfortunate number of people.

I think the chink in social media's armor is that everything right down to the littlest details about one's life will be available for anyone to see. People are putting their entire lives out in the open, and eventually they'll realize that privacy was a pretty nice thing to have. Might be too late at that point. These things are data mines.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:01 AM)
Yea, at my family's cottage in SW Michigan only Verizon had good 3g coverage, everybody else was too "spotty." It was great not having any tv, cellphone, computers to worry about and just focus on family and relaxing at the beach.

BTW, where is your house?

Sister Lakes, just outside of Dowagiac.

They are putting up a Verizon Tower in 2 years which will change the coverage, but for now, I love the black hole of cell service.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 03:54 PM)
For a totally new idea, that's likely true...but we've seen more than a few times that companies with a significant consumer base have put out a solid product and used that product to butt into territory seemingly dominated by a different company. The smartphone market comes to mind there as an example. As does the browser market. Hell, Google has done pretty much exactly that in both of those cases...they're not the first person to the party like they were with their search, but they put out a solid system and people adopt it for that reason.

But the things you listed do not depend on others activity in the way that social media does. Those are products. My email host can be great regardless of whether others use it, see phone. In fact, if you put some google + features as just add ons to the phone operating system it would probably see more success.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)

They are putting up a Verizon Tower in 2 years which will change the coverage, but for now, I love the black hole of cell service.

Nice, haven't been to that exact area but I've spent plenty of time in the Decatur/St. Joe area (my brother lives in St. Joe now). Our place is just a bit north of you in Covert/South Haven.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:09 AM)

Hahaha, are you kidding?

My brothers wife, her family owns two small houses on Little Crooked (I think it's the little one anyway, but it's one of the crooked lakes), I go up there a few times a year. Well, I think it was two, they tore one down and are remodeling the other one now, but it's on two lots.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
Hahaha, are you kidding?

My brothers wife, her family owns two small houses on Little Crooked (I think it's the little one anyway, but it's one of the crooked lakes), I go up there a few times a year. Well, I think it was two, they tore one down and are remodeling the other one now, but it's on two lots.

I'm on big Crooked, right across the little bridge. I can ride my sea-doo over to little under the roadway. Thats hilarious. The lakes up there are almost all southsiders.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)

Depends on how you define "regress".

We don't hear about the new e-commerce next amazon.com on the news every night like we did around 1998, but ecommerce has come a long way since then.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 12, 2011 -> 01:32 PM)
Depends on how you define "regress".

We don't hear about the new e-commerce next amazon.com on the news every night like we did around 1998, but ecommerce has come a long way since then.

Regress in that people will still use it, but far less than they do now.

I'm not in the norm, as I will only login to my Facebook account a few times a week, and rarely do I post anything. As a matter of fact, I just logged on to check the last time I posted something, and it was July 3rd. Most people check Facebook daily, and partake in multiple posts all day long, because that's all they do...like Lostfan and BS. :D

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!@#$@!