Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 14, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
It was more that I wouldn't pay 9.99. And in all likelihood i'll probably downgrade, but for 1 month I wanted to see all that it was. And it's pretty great. The equivelant to this prior was grooveshark which was an absolute mess filled with s***ty duplicates and poor sound quality. The ease of making a playlist, queuing up songs, and sharing things with friends is awesome. This is everything I thought it would be.

After netflix's price increases, they're next to be canceled on my list. I have about 4 months pre-paid time remaining on my netflix acct before that's canceled.

An application that allows Firefox and Chrome users to view Facebook stream data within Google+ is popular, but may put users at a security risk due to issues with the coding.

Google+Facebook, developed by Israeli developer Crossrider, lets users see Facebook streams and update Facebook statuses from within the Google+ platform. The extension has thus far proved popular: according to company execs, there have been over 100,000 downloads in just one week.

Unfortunately, the code may be insecure. Crossrider CEO Koby Menachemi admitted himself that the application was written in less than a day, and so "the product is not perfect." Taking this fact into consideration, it's not impossible that Crossrider's coders may have missed something.

Questions about Google+Facebook's possible security issues were raised over the weekend, when Reddit user RogueDarkJedi posted comments on a story promoting the app. In the comments, RogueDarkJedi alleges that Google+Facebook "acts like malware," and says it's a "security vulnerability waiting to happen."

What's in question is the app's behavior. Google+Facebook must download an external JavaScript file at every launch, in order for it to work. Mozilla has frowned upon this practice, as it puts all users of an app using such a system at risk in the event that the server hosting the script is compromised.

Link

Trying to set up a rudimentary website off my NAS, and going thru the routers is really s***ty. It's the fact that I have 2 of them. Ugh.

Actually thinking that for the most part I got all that together but for some reason my NAS isn't bypassing the "share" list like it's supposed to and going right into the "Website" share that I set up and it's really f***ing aggravating, it's throwing everything else off. Seeing if updating the firmware and a reboot are going to help

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
Downloading Lion now, anyone else?

I'd like to hear what you think of it when you get a feel for it. Upgrading to Snow Leopard was a revelation for me. I'm actually pretty happy, but I can be swayed. Some of the trackpad gestures sound intriguing, but the stuff they originally advertised about Lion didn't interest me.

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Jul 20, 2011 -> 04:31 PM)
Downloading Lion now, anyone else?

Had installed it earlier yesterday, I like it. In some ways, it's a pretty radical departure from the old idea of a desktop. But, you don't really have to use such features, either...so if you liked how OSX used to be, you can pretty much keep it that way.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 08:55 AM)
You must beat the hell out of it. I've had mine since October and it still looks like it just came out of the box.

I got it on launch day last June. It has a broken charging port (have to swap batteries on an external charger...super f***ing annoying), has multiple burnt out pixels on the screen, light is bleeding above the capacitive buttons, large area of dust behind the screen in the upper right corner, and cracked shell/casing near the power button.

At first glance it looks like it's in pretty good shape but I get annoyed looking at it with all of its imperfections.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:00 AM)
I got it on launch day last June. It has a broken charging port (have to swap batteries on an external charger...super f***ing annoying), has multiple burnt out pixels on the screen, light is bleeding above the capacitive buttons, large area of dust behind the screen in the upper right corner, and cracked shell/casing near the power button.

At first glance it looks like it's in pretty good shape but I get annoyed looking at it with all of its imperfections.

Sounds like poor build quality. I've beaten the crap out of my iPhone4, never using a case, and it has no mechanical problems. A few scratches and dings, but nothing mechanical, no light bleeds, no dead pixels, etc.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:03 AM)
Sounds like poor build quality. I've beaten the crap out of my iPhone4, never using a case, and it has no mechanical problems. A few scratches and dings, but nothing mechanical, no light bleeds, no dead pixels, etc.

Yeah I'm starting to think HTC products are over-hyped with regards to quality. My wife bought an EVO about 4 months ago and it's having similar issues with the charging port.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
Yeah I'm starting to think HTC products are over-hyped with regards to quality. My wife bought an EVO about 4 months ago and it's having similar issues with the charging port.

My old HTC (3 or 4 years old) just stopped making calls one day.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:22 AM)
My old HTC (3 or 4 years old) just stopped making calls one day.

Well, that is 3 or 4 years old...most EVO's aren't even a year old and they start having problems.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 06:33 AM)
Had installed it earlier yesterday, I like it. In some ways, it's a pretty radical departure from the old idea of a desktop. But, you don't really have to use such features, either...so if you liked how OSX used to be, you can pretty much keep it that way.

Did you guys pay for it or torrent it?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
Did you guys pay for it or torrent it?

Paid. I don't pirate software, or anything that can possibly be recoded and have back doors inserted into it, especially when we are talking about 30$.

How much bandwidth do you guys pay for your internet? I need to figure out what plan to buy for an apartment this year. And what rates are you guys getting? Right now it's about $30 for 15 mbps from Comcast.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
How much bandwidth do you guys pay for your internet? I need to figure out what plan to buy for an apartment this year. And what rates are you guys getting? Right now it's about $30 for 15 mbps from Comcast.

I have a package of comcast TV + Internet, and I don't even know what tier speed I have these days, I had originally downgraded it, but over time they bumped it up. Overall, I'm more than happy with my Internet speeds...

This is from Chicago to San Francisco...and it's pretty fast.

1405468523.png

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 27, 2011 -> 02:02 PM)
Paid. I don't pirate software, or anything that can possibly be recoded and have back doors inserted into it, especially when we are talking about 30$.

Downloading it now from the app store for my imac. Looking forward to checking it out. I usually pirate these, but this time Ill take your advice since I have so much s*** on this imac that I dont want anyone to access (1+TB)

This is for whoever mentioned that ipod sales were actually growing.

Unit sales fell 20% from a year ago and revenue from those sales dropped 15%.

It's still a lucrative business for Steve Jobs & Co., bringing in $1.3 billion in sales over the past three months. But sales have been in a free-fall for the past three years.