Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 07:16 AM)
This is for whoever mentioned that ipod sales were actually growing.

Anyone that thinks dedicated music players are going to sell well at this point is out of touch. Obviously, Apple is still raking money in on these, but they're being replaced by all-in-one devices like the modern smartphone/iPhone.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 08:31 AM)
Anyone that thinks dedicated music players are going to sell well at this point is out of touch. Obviously, Apple is still raking money in on these, but they're being replaced by all-in-one devices like the modern smartphone/iPhone.

Indeed. That was my initial argument.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
That said, i personally like having a separate ipod for entertaining. It's ridiculous when someone uses their phone for a playlist. NERD.

I have 3 ipods. My iphone simply doesnt have enough room for my playlists. I also like a small one when I work out (shuffle)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 21, 2011 -> 06:33 AM)
Had installed it earlier yesterday, I like it. In some ways, it's a pretty radical departure from the old idea of a desktop. But, you don't really have to use such features, either...so if you liked how OSX used to be, you can pretty much keep it that way.

Can you help me dude. I downloaded and installed and now nothing from my 2 external HD's will play on QUicktime. It comes up, and I can double click on the movies but then nothing happens when I hit play. I figure its already indexed it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
Can you help me dude. I downloaded and installed and now nothing from my 2 external HD's will play on QUicktime. It comes up, and I can double click on the movies but then nothing happens when I hit play. I figure its already indexed it.

The app AOL Radio does most of those stations on Android or IOS. And yes, it's free.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)

Do a repair permissions on the external drive. Thinking about it, it shouldn't have anything to do with indexing, as that's merely for searching at a faster speed. Is it only movies you are having issues with, or anything you try to do off an external drive? Could be a bug if it's not permissions related.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
Do a repair permissions on the external drive. Thinking about it, it shouldn't have anything to do with indexing, as that's merely for searching at a faster speed. Is it only movies you are having issues with, or anything you try to do off an external drive? Could be a bug if it's not permissions related.

It was a quicktime issue, I downloaded MPX and everything plays just fine. Just took QT off my default list. That thing really is a piece of s***.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:39 AM)
That said, i personally like having a separate ipod for entertaining. It's ridiculous when someone uses their phone for a playlist. NERD.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
I have 3 ipods. My iphone simply doesnt have enough room for my playlists. I also like a small one when I work out (shuffle)

Morons :ph34r:

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
It was a quicktime issue, I downloaded MPX and everything plays just fine. Just took QT off my default list. That thing really is a piece of s***.

What is MPX?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:27 AM)
HAHA. Probably true. I have over 100 gigs of music on my classic in my car with probably 30+ playlists. my iphone simply doesnt cut it.

I have tons of music, but none I won't listen too. I don't collect songs or albums for the sake of having songs/albums. If there was just 1 song I liked off an album, I have that 1 song. That's the entire advantage of digital music...I no longer have to have all the garbage songs that came with the ones that were actually good.

The ONLY band I have entire albums from is Rush.

I have about 18 gigs of music on my iPhone, and that's already overkill...it'd be impossible to listen too it all before I could easily swap it out for more -- which I never do.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
I have tons of music, but none I won't listen too. I don't collect songs or albums for the sake of having songs/albums. If there was just 1 song I liked off an album, I have that 1 song. That's the entire advantage of digital music...I no longer have to have all the garbage songs that came with the ones that were actually good.

The ONLY band I have entire albums from is Rush.

I have about 18 gigs of music on my iPhone, and that's already overkill...it'd be impossible to listen too it all before I could easily swap it out for more -- which I never do.

Yeah , I have a ton of box sets like Zep, PJ, GNR as well as every CD i've ever owned post house-fire. Thats why I have a few different ipods.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 29, 2011 -> 11:47 AM)
Yeah , I have a ton of box sets like Zep, PJ, GNR as well as every CD i've ever owned post house-fire. Thats why I have a few different ipods.

Yea, I scoured my entire collection and got rid of any dupes, songs I never listened too or didn't like, etc.

Like, for example, I have quite a few GNR songs right now, but there was a time my collection consisted of every album, every best of album, etc...including all the duplicates that came with them. and all the songs I never listened too. All gone. My GNR collection probably went from 150 songs to 15.

I've removed all that garbage and just kept what I liked/used, instead. In the process, the size of my library probably dropped by 50%.