Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
Leave it to Y2HH to paint large swaths of people with a broad brush.

I'm just surprised he didn't say something about how Apple users are all a bunch of popularity followers, so it makes sense that liberals buy them :P

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 08:56 AM)
Leave it to Y2HH to paint large swaths of people with a broad brush.

I'd listen to what you have to say, but I don't like neocons or dumb people.

Sorry.

^ No smiley this time, either. :P

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2011 -> 10:00 AM)
That's what I do is the MLB package. It costs less than the football package and instead of 17 days with games I get ~170.

If you have a relative who has DirectTV, they'll usually spread around an extra $100 if you tell them that relative referred you. Or you can tell them I did (you'll need an account number).

That's what we were figuring. She'd get $100 and so would we.

I was actually on their site checking prices and they have a package that offers 3 free months of HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz. The problem is that after that first 3 months, they make you pay for those channels.

I don't really care about those channels and don't want to have to pay for them, but I can't figure out if there is a package that I could get without those channels. Or if I could just cancel them after 3 months I 'd do that.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 08:25 AM)
There are a lot of conflicting reports about this, and while I think it does have something to do with it, as it will give Google some patents they can leverage to make deals with Apple/Microsoft, it's not really going to help them for most of the issues they're having. Most -- if not all -- of Motorola's patents are pre-smartphone, none of which are in question right now, and most of which no longer mean much...keep in mind this is the Motorola that was ONCE a big deal in phones, but never in smartphones. I'm sure if Microsoft or Apple ever steal the outdated RAZR design, Google may want to sue. ;) But I don't see that happening.

These patents will do nothing to defend them from the biggest claim against them, and that's Oracle who owns Java. Google, who arrogantly refused to license Java and then went ahead (internal communications prove this) with using Java anyway is the biggest claim against them and Androids extensive use of Java, and these patents will not help them in this case whatsoever.

IMO, Google bought MotoMobility for a more simple reason that everyone's overlooking because of all of this patent garbage.

Android is fragmenting -- anyone with two eyes can see this -- and despite Google's efforts to enforce upgrades and support from 3rd party vendors, it's not happening. While Google can try to "enforce" this, it's not legally enforceable. It's Samsung's choice to support or upgrade their phones...Google can put all the rules about forced upgrades in place they want, but nobody has to follow them. If Samsung wants to sully their name and not upgrade the software running on their phones, or supporting older hardware, Google can't say a damn thing about it in a legal sense, and everyone knows it, including Google.

Thus, Google can now assert stricter control in a legal sense with Motorola/Google branded phones, driving competitors to upgrade in order to keep up. This will add assurance the software upgrades come faster, and keep supporting the devices even after newer models are available.

Google essentially just started making their own phones and now have more control over quality. This is a good thing for Android users. However, Motorola hardware needs ALOT of work. They also need to clean alot of the old Motorola staff out of there. Terribly run company.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
Google essentially just started making their own phones and now have more control over quality. This is a good thing for Android users. However, Motorola hardware needs ALOT of work. They also need to clean alot of the old Motorola staff out of there. Terribly run company.

Seeing as how Motorola Mobility lost money in an era of unprecedented profits in the specific industry they are in goes without saying. HTC is profiting, Apple is profiting wildly, etc...the fact that despite Androids success that Moto loses money says a lot.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:34 AM)
Seeing as how Motorola Mobility lost money in an era of unprecedented profits in the specific industry they are in goes without saying. HTC is profiting, Apple is profiting wildly, etc...the fact that despite Androids success that Moto loses money says a lot.

Management had ALOT to do with it. They were resting on their Razor laurels for awhile. I honestly think that the technology is there, it just has to be realized by someone other than the old guard at Motorola. If they focus on end user experience and competing with a package hardware/software platform I think they will be extremely viable and should start beating down some of their competitors. If Google can put out a semi-revolutionary hardware device with an EXCLUSIVE android OS, it will be a very successful move.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:45 AM)
Management had ALOT to do with it. They were resting on their Razor laurels for awhile. I honestly think that the technology is there, it just has to be realized by someone other than the old guard at Motorola. If they focus on end user experience and competing with a package hardware/software platform I think they will be extremely viable and should start beating down some of their competitors. If Google can put out a semi-revolutionary hardware device with an EXCLUSIVE android OS, it will be a very successful move.

They have no plans to do this and couldn't if they wanted too. Seeing as they licensed out Android for free to many manufacturers (some high powered ones), and have talked about 'open/free' thus setting legal precedent (their version of open/free anyway), for years about Android, they'd open themselves to an relentless barrage of lawsuits of which they'd lose all of.

There is no way for them to go exclusive with Android now, they'd destroy themselves.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:52 AM)
They have no plans to do this and couldn't if they wanted too. Seeing as they licensed out Android for free to many manufacturers (some high powered ones), and have talked about 'open/free' thus setting legal precedent (their version of open/free anyway), for years about Android, they'd open themselves to an relentless barrage of lawsuits of which they'd lose all of.

There is no way for them to go exclusive with Android now, they'd destroy themselves.

Yes, but couldnt they release an "Exclusive" version of the OS only for their phones?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 10:54 AM)
Yes, but couldnt they release an "Exclusive" version of the OS only for their phones?

That's an iffy gamble...if they did that, they'd basically be telling all competitors that use Android to ditch Android and find an alternative since they won't be playing on a level playfield...

They'd probably end up hurting their platform badly if they tried this.

Motorola is a terribly run company from what I've heard. One of my coworker's girlfriend worked there and they promised her coming in out of undergrad that they would pay for her MBA, 3 years later they kept denying to do any such thing. She left for Wrigley.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 11:18 AM)
That's what we were figuring. She'd get $100 and so would we.

I was actually on their site checking prices and they have a package that offers 3 free months of HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz. The problem is that after that first 3 months, they make you pay for those channels.

I don't really care about those channels and don't want to have to pay for them, but I can't figure out if there is a package that I could get without those channels. Or if I could just cancel them after 3 months I 'd do that.

Yes, you can cancel them after 3 months. Make sure you read your bill, it got very confusing to me for those 3 months what I was actually getting billed for (they were billing me for Sunday Ticket but not for the channel package, it was bizarre).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
Yes, you can cancel them after 3 months. Make sure you read your bill, it got very confusing to me for those 3 months what I was actually getting billed for (they were billing me for Sunday Ticket but not for the channel package, it was bizarre).

That's because they had a deal where if you bought Sunday Ticket, you got the Premium Package for 5 months for free.

Now they are giving away the Sunday Ticket package for free if you either are a new customer or if you are moving.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)

That might make it worthwhile for me then. I'd be paying about the same price that I am for cable except I'd get an HD DVR plus another 4 receivers for my other TVs.

Right now we only have 3 TVs actually connected to cable.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)
That's because they had a deal where if you bought Sunday Ticket, you got the Premium Package for 5 months for free.

Now they are giving away the Sunday Ticket package for free if you either are a new customer or if you are moving.

Wow...that is pretty sweet. I wish I could find a way to trick them into thinking I was moving. I don't see how they benefit from that unless moving extends your contract or something.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 05:43 PM)
Wow...that is pretty sweet. I wish I could find a way to trick them into thinking I was moving. I don't see how they benefit from that unless moving extends your contract or something.

They locked me in for 2 years with their moving contract.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
I wonder if I'm the only person on this board that owns only 1 TV.

I only own 2, but we just have 2 rooms in our small place. One TV is 6 years old (56inch DLP HDTV) and the other is a 55inch Plasma. Both are 1080P. I'm hoping the DLP lasts another few years at a minimum and still love the Plasma.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:44 PM)
They locked me in for 2 years with their moving contract.

Ahh...that explains it...are you allowed to change your programming package with that contract without it restarting (reminiscent of cell phone companies)?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 06:43 PM)
Ahh...that explains it...are you allowed to change your programming package with that contract without it restarting (reminiscent of cell phone companies)?

Yes, I believe you just have to stay as a customers of theirs, there may be a minimum package requirement though, you'd have to check.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
Motorola is a terribly run company from what I've heard. One of my coworker's girlfriend worked there and they promised her coming in out of undergrad that they would pay for her MBA, 3 years later they kept denying to do any such thing. She left for Wrigley.

My college roommate left after two years, my dad left after 15 recently. They just don't know what they're doing.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 05:59 PM)
Any good HDTV antennas you could recommend? The amplified RCA one I have doesn't pick up CBS at all.

Yeah don't waste your money on any special antenna. I have like an 80 dollar sony one i bought years ago for one tv and i have an old set of rabbit ears from the 80's or 90's (or older) for my other tv. Both work about the same.

Where do you live? That's probably the problem. If you're anywhere close to downtown CBS' signal sucks. I'm out in La Grange and have a direct shot to the antenna. But when I lived in the city I never got CBS over the air.

I should say the antenna doesn't really matter assuming you have an open spot to put it in. Having an amplified one might help if you're sticking it in your attic or your basement....somewhere where the signal could get blocked. So it also partly depends on your set up.