Open Mic Night

SouthsideDon48

Have anyone tried going onstage during Open Mic Night at a comedy club somewhere? If so, how was it?

I've been writing some jokes based on my dysfunctional-ish life experiences for the past week now and I'm seriously thinking of trying an Open Mic Night at a comedy club somewhere. I'm planning on just going to a comedy club somewhere in the south suburbs, and I know there's the Riddles club on 111th street in Alsip and the Barrel of Laughs club in Oak Lawn on Central ave, but does anyone else know of any other comedy clubs in the south suburbs?

25 years ago. I also did a little college time with an improv group.

Do it. Scare the s*** out of yourself. Bomb. Kill. Kill again. Have a few buddies heckle you. In fact, if the old guy can give a little advice. Always try it. Never be afraid to at least try. Your only regrets later will be the things you did not do.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)

Do it. Scare the s*** out of yourself. Bomb. Kill. Kill again. Have a few buddies heckle you. In fact, if the old guy can give a little advice. Always try it. Never be afraid to at least try. Your only regrets later will be the things you did not do.

Do or Do Not. There is no try.

My old Guy trumps your Old Guy. :D

yoda.jpg

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 24, 2010 -> 11:29 PM)
How long is your set

Hey 3E8, I'm still in the middle of the writing and "rehearsing in front of my bathroom mirror" stages.

I still got a lot of funny stuff to write down, but I'm not sure how long my set should be for a typical open mic performance. My jokes are interchangeable and I tend to change topics a lot, so if I need to add or take away jokes for time considerations, that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, my jokes are not typical "punchline" stuff, but rather more angst-filled super-short stories ala Christopher Titus. I also don't have a "persona", it's just my real personality in a rant, lol.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)

:lolhitting: Actually, I'm thinking of going alone when I try an open mic night, cause if I embarrass myself so bad, then at least I won't be embarrassed to face my family or friends, or have their pity. :-p

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 02:12 AM)
:lolhitting : Actually, I'm thinking of going alone when I try an open mic night, cause if I embarrass myself so bad, then at least I won't be embarrassed to face my family or friends, or have their pity. :-p

And they have probably heard most of your stuff. I found there is some interesting growth in life when you scare the crap out of yourself and live to tell about it. And btw, a small crowd is much worse than a big one. Laughter is contagious. 200 people in the room and you can get a couple started. 16, and they may all sit there stone faced.

QUOTE (Tex @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 09:43 PM)
Your only regrets later will be the things you did not do.

This is so true. I still regret to this day that I never tried singing for a punk or metal band.

I saw an ad in the Illinois Entertainer that was PERFECT. This group was looking for a singer, they were all novices in it for fun, they were just a couple suburbs over from me, and they listed about 10 bands I loved as influences. I seriously thought about calling to try out, but I was playing softball 5 nights a week at that point, so I talked myself out of it.

I'm not saying I would have made a living at it (I wouldn't want to be a pro musician, really), but it would have been a lot of fun.