SN: Sox Say No to Jim Thome

Heads22

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I'd trade '05 for anything, but if there has been any drawback to winning the World Series, it's that it has allowed Ozzie to believe that he is smarter than he actually is. Call it "Jerry Krause" syndrome--you certainly can't diminish the guy's role in getting us a championship, but it takes a certain level of arrogance to run off a Phil Jackson for a Tim Floyd, just as it does to convince oneself that a Dwayne Wise can bat leadoff for a championship caliber club. From Wise to Mackowiak to Erstad to this "rotating DH" concept, Ozzie's personnel assessments have flat out sucked for the last four years. I still have faith in Kenny, but Ozzie has squandered most of what I had in him.

I hope like hell this sucky Kotsay/Jones/Vizquel platoon works, but I just don't trust Ozzie on this, and I think we just got our collective chains yanked for the last four days solely so he could avoid a bigger s***storm at Soxfest.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
The Yankees, Angels and Twins have been doing it for years.

Yeah, with MLB calibur hitters. The only MLB calibur hitting split among the guys the Sox will rotate at DH this year is Kotsay against righties, and even those numbers aren't overwhelming.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
Not that I'd trade '05 for anything, but if there has been any drawback to winning the World Series, it's that it has allowed Ozzie to believe that he is smarter than he actually is. Call it "Jerry Krause" syndrome--you certainly can't diminish the guy's role in getting us a championship, but it takes a certain level of arrogance to run off a Phil Jackson for a Tim Floyd, just as it does to convince oneself that a Dwayne Wise can bat leadoff for a championship caliber club. From Wise to Mackowiak to Erstad to this "rotating DH" concept, Ozzie's personnel assessments have flat out sucked for the last four years. I still have faith in Kenny, but Ozzie has squandered most of what I had in him.

I hope like hell this sucky Kotsay/Jones/Vizquel platoon works, but I just don't trust Ozzie on this, and I think we just got our collective chains yanked for the last four days solely so he could avoid a bigger s***storm at Soxfest.

you make a very good point

i like it. you make a commitment to change your approach then you have to make some tough choices. One dimensional guys on the far downside of their careers just don't fit the mold.

Good luck, Jim.

Kotsay and Jones aren't exactly guys you can say that "change our approach."

You just know Thome's going to go to another team in our division and kick our f***ing ass.

Oz better know best. Oz obviously is sick of the shift and slow Jimmy.

By the way, these paragraphs in Cowley's story are scary:

Thome told the Sun-Times in October that should he not return to the Sox, his preference would be to stay in the American League Central, and he was most intrigued with the idea of playing for the Twins in their new outdoor stadium.

Without Thome, it's still a rotation of Andruw Jones, Mark Kotsay and Omar Vizquel, plus Carlos Quentin and Paul Konerko should expect time in the DH spot when they need a breather.

''It's weird because since I've been the manager, we've always had the big boys in the middle,'' Guillen said. ''We have a little different philosophy. I'm very, very optimistic. I don't want to say I've put my job on the line, but I've been telling Kenny for three weeks that I like what I have.''

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 12:18 AM)
Kotsay and Jones aren't exactly guys you can say that "change our approach."

You just know Thome's going to go to another team in our division and kick our f***ing ass.

Oz better know best. Oz obviously is sick of the shift and slow Jimmy.

By the way, these paragraphs in Cowley's story are scary:

Thome told the Sun-Times in October that should he not return to the Sox, his preference would be to stay in the American League Central, and he was most intrigued with the idea of playing for the Twins in their new outdoor stadium.

Without Thome, it's still a rotation of Andruw Jones, Mark Kotsay and Omar Vizquel, plus Carlos Quentin and Paul Konerko should expect time in the DH spot when they need a breather.

''It's weird because since I've been the manager, we've always had the big boys in the middle,'' Guillen said. ''We have a little different philosophy. I'm very, very optimistic. I don't want to say I've put my job on the line, but I've been telling Kenny for three weeks that I like what I have.''

I wouldn't be so quick to put a fork in Andruw Jones. Power can come from more sources this season than last, esp if Q and Rios rebound.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 02:18 AM)

You say this about EVERY former White Sox player. If Carlton Fisk came outta 17-year old retirement at age, what, 70, and joined the Twins you would say he's going to no doubt kick our ass.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 02:36 AM)
I wouldn't be so quick to put a fork in Andruw Jones. Power can come from more sources this season than last, esp if Q and Rios rebound.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. As Gonzo said on CTL, Sox feel he's got something left in the tank. Texas thinks he is flat out done. We'll see who is right this comming season.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
It'll be interesting to see how he does. As Gonzo said on CTL, Sox feel he's got something left in the tank. Texas thinks he is flat out done. We'll see who is right this comming season.

The sox have already won once against texas in a battle of player projections...

Let the record show McCarthy vs. Danks.

=)

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 05:11 AM)
And lost when we traded for Royce Clayton.

Well, at least we got Sosa, Wilson Alvarez and Scot Fletcher back in one of the greatest steals of all-time.

When you post in threads, do you make it a goal to try and throw in as many random players that have nothing to do with the topic at hand as possible? Or does it just seem to happen?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 03:36 AM)

The problem I have with that is...even if it works spectacularly, we're still the 2008 Chicago Cubs in terms of our big weaknesses. Even if the guys we have all hit and hit for power, we're missing power from the LH side unless Teahen comes up huge, and we're missing a serious OBP/walk threat (who is also useful in driving up pitch counts). There was a reason the Cubs went out and spent a ton of money on Bradley; they got crushed by a team throwing 3 RHP out against them in a row in the playoffs, because all their power was from the RH side.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 07:57 AM)
The problem I have with that is...even if it works spectacularly, we're still the 2008 Chicago Cubs in terms of our big weaknesses. Even if the guys we have all hit and hit for power, we're missing power from the LH side unless Teahen comes up huge, and we're missing a serious OBP/walk threat (who is also useful in driving up pitch counts). There was a reason the Cubs went out and spent a ton of money on Bradley; they got crushed by a team throwing 3 RHP out against them in a row in the playoffs, because all their power was from the RH side.

Our pitching looks to be far better than what the Cubs had, though. Offensively? I agree.

When Quentin is on the DL in May and Jones is starting in right and Kotsay at DH things will get ugly around here.

Why do the White Sox players need so much time off or breathers?

Nix and Vizquel better never DH. Please DH Teahan, Beckham or Ramirez.

The bright side is it does leve an opening for a bat to be acquired.

Here is the other real bright side. CJ can make the team, be able to catch and then AJ can DH a couple of times a week to get the big bat of Castro in the lineup.