SN: Sox Say No to Jim Thome

Heads22

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 07:48 AM)
That's much more likely. No way they signed Thome just to be an occasional player. He'll get the bulk of DH at bats.

He'll get the bulk of them? LOL, and who is he going to sit then? Kubel? I bet Thome doesnt play more than 20 games at DH tops.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
Did I miss us being projected for the same amount of homers as last year? Because it sure sounds like we are going to hit about 100 homers this year.

Starters and their career highs in HR:

Pierzynski 18

Konerko 41

Beckham 14

Ramirez 21

Teahen 18

Pierre 3

Rios 24

Quentin 36

Bench - career highs, career highs as bench players

Kotsay 17, 4 as a bench player

Jones 51, 17

Castro 11, 11

Vizquel 14, 1

Nix 12, 12

If all of our starters reach their career highs that is 175.

If all of our bench players reach their bench highs that is 45.

Total = 220 in that case.

If all our players on the 25-man roster reach their career highs that is 280, which would be pretty cool.

Now, looking at this more realistically, but still optimistically:

Pierzynski 14

Konerko 28

Beckham 20

Ramirez 19

Teahen 16

Pierre 1

Rios 19

Quentin 30

Kotsay 6

Jones 21

Castro 7

Vizquel 1

Nix 7

= 189

Edit: BTW we hit 184 last year, so the above would seem pretty good prediction to me since we didn't exactly get a whole lot better.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 10:34 AM)
Left Field - 339 feet

Left-Center - 377 feet

Center Field - 404 feet

Right-Center - 367 feet

Right Field - 328 feet

It doesn't sound unusually short to me, does it to anyone else? Is there expected to be a major wind of any sort?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
It doesn't sound unusually short to me, does it to anyone else? Is there expected to be a major wind of any sort?

They shortened LF by 4 ft, LCF by 8 ft, CF by 4 ft and left RCF and RF the same. I'm also guessing there won't be a large wall in RF but I don't know that for sure.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 10:45 AM)
They shortened LF by 4 ft, LCF by 8 ft, CF by 4 ft and left RCF and RF the same. I'm also guessing there won't be a large wall in RF but I don't know that for sure.

But I'm also guessing they won't be able to turn the fans on every time the home team is up to bat.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
I'll take that bet - over/under at 20 games at DH, I'll go the over. What's the stake? Sig bet?

Yeah I'd imagine the Twins will try and sneak Kubel into LF with Thome as DH against RHP as often as they feel possible. Of course, just how bad Kubel actually butchers LF as well as Thome's health (or lack thereof) will both be issues that dictate just how often "they feel possible" actually is, but I'd guess it'll be more than 20 games.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
Did I miss us being projected for the same amount of homers as last year? Because it sure sounds like we are going to hit about 100 homers this year.

Bill James has us down for about 173 assuming we're working a straight platoon of Kotsay/Jones. In the event of Jones starting everyday that rises by 11, and i'm sure it won't alter considerably either way if we factor in the offensive juggernaut that is Omar Visquel.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:25 AM)
It doesn't matter if Hudson, Hynick, Torres, Nunez, Santeliz, Williams, Threets and Santos was our bullpen and our top four starters all had ERA's below 4.00, with an offense in the bottom quartile, we won't make the playoffs.

Yep, that's what I thought.

I once again question Ozzie's and KW's honesty with the fans. They said they could not guantee Thome enough at bats to interest him. Yet he signs with the Twins as a pinch hitter & part time DH. If they didn't want Thome, fine, go in another direction but why B.S. us?

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
I once again question Ozzie's and KW's honesty with the fans. They said they could not guantee Thome enough at bats to interest him. Yet he signs with the Twins as a pinch hitter & part time DH. If they didn't want Thome, fine, go in another direction but why B.S. us?

The Sox don't think he can be effective with limited plate appearances, and they don't want to mess up what they have. Further, I strongly doubt Thome is a part-time player in Minnesota. Unless they face a lefty, he'll be in the opening day lineup and he'll be a big part of their team.

I agree with your analysis. So the Sox were simply not going to sign him. They were not going to give him full time DH duties and they don't believe he could be effective with limited plate appearences. It seemed as though publicly they were offering him the chance to come back if he accepted the limited role. Since they were not going to sign him why not just say we are not interested period?

QUOTE (since56 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 06:51 PM)
I agree with your analysis. So the Sox were simply not going to sign him. They were not going to give him full time DH duties and they don't believe he could be effective with limited plate appearences. It seemed as though publicly they were offering him the chance to come back if he accepted the limited role. Since they were not going to sign him why not just say we are not interested period?

I don't think Ozzie ever really consider the option of having Thome all offseason because he assumed he would sign elsewhere. When given the option of having Thome back at like $1-2 mill a year to be a dangerous bat for the Sox and take playing time away from someone like Mark Kotsay, Ozzie chose to go with Kotsay over Thome because he would have to give too many bats to Thome, which would take away from his ability to use everyone and anyone at the DH position, and when it boiled down to that, he declined.

It isn't because they think Thome's a bad player, it's simply because he's not good enough to overturn the direction the White Sox are going with their rotating DH. I disagree with their decision, but I'm sitting behind a computer while Ozzie gets to put on a uniform and make decisions for the team on the field while Williams gets to put on a suit and tie and call other GMs and make trades and sign people, so there's not much I can do about it. I imagine if the Nationals offered Adam Dunn plus $$$ for CJ Retherford right now, the Sox would take it and Kotsay would sit on his ass quite a bit throughout the entirety of the season.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 06:57 PM)
I don't think Ozzie ever really consider the option of having Thome all offseason because he assumed he would sign elsewhere. When given the option of having Thome back at like $1-2 mill a year to be a dangerous bat for the Sox and take playing time away from someone like Mark Kotsay, Ozzie chose to go with Kotsay over Thome because he would have to give too many bats to Thome, which would take away from his ability to use everyone and anyone at the DH position, and when it boiled down to that, he declined.

It isn't because they think Thome's a bad player, it's simply because he's not good enough to overturn the direction the White Sox are going with their rotating DH. I disagree with their decision, but I'm sitting behind a computer while Ozzie gets to put on a uniform and make decisions for the team on the field while Williams gets to put on a suit and tie and call other GMs and make trades and sign people, so there's not much I can do about it. I imagine if the Nationals offered Adam Dunn plus $$$ for CJ Retherford right now, the Sox would take it and Kotsay would sit on his ass quite a bit throughout the entirety of the season.

I'm starting to believe the White Sox knew all along they wouldn't bring Thome back. Then word on the eve of Soxfest hits that he's close to signing with Minnesota, basically their biggest rival. Instead of Soxfest becoming the "how could you let Thome go to Minnesota"fest, they decided to make it seem as they still were considering him. Ozzie talked to Thome Sunday night, right after Soxfest had ended and he wouldn't be hounded with questions about it. If my theory is correct, I don't blame them for doing it that way, although if they really don't think they are a bat short at this time, I think they are very wrong.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 03:32 PM)
The Sox don't think he can be effective with limited plate appearances, and they don't want to mess up what they have. Further, I strongly doubt Thome is a part-time player in Minnesota. Unless they face a lefty, he'll be in the opening day lineup and he'll be a big part of their team.

Does that mean they move there outstanding Dh who is a butcher in the field into the field so that Thome DH's? I don't buy it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 11:26 AM)
Does that mean they move there outstanding Dh who is a butcher in the field into the field so that Thome DH's? I don't buy it.

Delmon Young is a butcher in the field too. Is the small downgrade from Young to Kubel in LF (bad to very bad) worth the huge upgrade from Young to Thome against RHP (bad to good)? I would say yes.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 11:26 AM)

I've seen several good posters I respect on Minnesota boards recommend it.

Kubel hasn't played the field because of injury issues, which are now past.

Young so far in his young career has been sub-standard both at the plate and in the field.

If he starts out poor this year, don't be surprised that Gardy starts giving Kubel time in left.