• a 13th pitcher
    • Alejandro De Aza
    • Johnny Damon
    • Orlando Hudson
    • CJ Retherford
    • Tyler Flowers
    • Someone else who IS in the organization
    • Someone else NOT already in the organization

I'm going Nix. I like his versatility to play anywhere on the field and play it well. He also adds pop to the bench and would likely be the #1 pinch runner, which is also important. Could easily see a 12th pitcher however, but I think because of the staff, they keep only six relievers. I also believe if we go with six relievers, Torres or even Lucas Harrell (Hahn mentioned him during Soxfest) would be the sixth guy because the Sox need at least one pitcher can go three to four innings and Santos/Nunez don't offer that endurance.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 07:37 AM)
I'm going Nix. I like his versatility to play anywhere on the field and play it well. He also adds pop to the bench and would likely be the #1 pinch runner, which is also important. Could easily see a 12th pitcher however, but I think because of the staff, they keep only six relievers. I also believe if we go with six relievers, Torres or even Lucas Harrell (Hahn mentioned him during Soxfest) would be the sixth guy because the Sox need at least one pitcher can go three to four innings and Santos/Nunez don't offer that endurance.

I meant 13th pitcher, not 12th - I don't think there is any doubt that we'll have at least 7 in the pen. I wouldn't do that myself, but Ozzie wants 7, I can virtually guarantee it.

QUOTE (elgonzo4sox @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 07:42 AM)
The big problem is not the 25th man.

It is the 26th: Lillibridge will be the first non-pitcher called up when injury or poor performance strike.

Kenny is going to have to make some more 25th man deals, like last year when he pulled Pods off the scrap heap.

The 26th man is not on the roster, and is never the "big problem". Also, lillibridge only comes up of a skill-position infielder is injured (Teahen, Ramirez, Beckham, Vizquel). If anyone else is injured, you will NOT be seeing Lillibridge.

Nix is the most likely in my mind. If the Sox aren't going to sign Thome then I don't see them signing Damon or Hudson. And I don't see any deals going down. Unless, like it has already been mentioned, KW picks someone from the scrap heap. It worked last year with Pods, but how many times can he get lucky like that?

QUOTE (hogan873 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 09:01 AM)
Nix is the most likely in my mind. If the Sox aren't going to sign Thome then I don't see them signing Damon or Hudson. And I don't see any deals going down. Unless, like it has already been mentioned, KW picks someone from the scrap heap. It worked last year with Pods, but how many times can he get lucky like that?

The big problem with Nix is he's probably not the greatest option as a LH hitter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 08:04 AM)
The big problem with Nix is he's probably not the greatest option as a LH hitter.

Especially considering the fact that he's a right-handed hitter. I'm not saying he's the best option, but I think he's the most likely right now. Unless a LH bat is acquired who do the Sox have? Lillibridge? I'll vomit if that happens.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 10:01 AM)
Yeah, i'd say Nix. He's got decent defensive versatility. He plays a great 2b, a decent 3b, a miserable SS, and god help us but Ozzie is sure to put him out in LF a few times too. We need his power off the bench, and he's young enough to gamble on.

Let's be clear here - Nix was rumored to be a great 2B in scouting reports, but in 2009 he really wasn't great there. He was passable - made a lot of plays others wouldn't, but also made some bone-headed plays.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 11:14 AM)
Let's be clear here - Nix was rumored to be a great 2B in scouting reports, but in 2009 he really wasn't great there. He was passable - made a lot of plays others wouldn't, but also made some bone-headed plays.

Nix had 3.1 UZR in 2008, a 2.8 UZR in 2009, and is predicted to improve that exponentially next year by numerous projection systems. Given his minor league numbers, and yes, the dreaded eye test, I see him as a good-to-great defender and second base as early as this year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
Nix had 3.1 UZR in 2008, a 2.8 UZR in 2009, and is predicted to improve that exponentially next year by numerous projection systems. Given his minor league numbers, and yes, the dreaded eye test, I see him as a good-to-great defender and second base as early as this year.

It's the Alexei Ramirez conundrum here as well. Alexei had a 1.7 UZR at SS last year. His numbers would have been better but for his bonehead mistakes. The question is not whether the ability is there, the question is whether the mindset is there. For all we know, Nix gets distracted just as easily as Alexei, and thus if he's coming off the bench most games or moving around to other positions, he won't be able to get the defensive focus down and he'll stay where he was last year, or worse.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
It's the Alexei Ramirez conundrum here as well. Alexei had a 1.7 UZR at SS last year. His numbers would have been better but for his bonehead mistakes. The question is not whether the ability is there, the question is whether the mindset is there. For all we know, Nix gets distracted just as easily as Alexei, and thus if he's coming off the bench most games or moving around to other positions, he won't be able to get the defensive focus down and he'll stay where he was last year, or worse.

I also think his disastrous stint as SS, turned a lot of people off on him, and severely detracted from his overall range numbers. I’d love to isolate his UZR from only 2b, and see the numbers i'd get.