• a 13th pitcher
    • Alejandro De Aza
    • Johnny Damon
    • Orlando Hudson
    • CJ Retherford
    • Tyler Flowers
    • Someone else who IS in the organization
    • Someone else NOT already in the organization

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
I also think his disastrous stint as SS, turned a lot of people off on him, and severely detracted from his overall range numbers. I’d love to isolate his UZR from only 2b, and see the numbers i'd get.

His UZR/150 at 2B was a very good 14.5.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...amp;position=2B

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 11:28 AM)
Ah, nice. Thank you. I think that lends itself to the belif that Nix has limited versatility, and yet value if he's played right. Ideally, as the new defensive replacement he might actually save a few runs late in games.

The issue is the position that he'd be a positive defensive replacement at is 2b...and quite frankly, we're not bringing in a defensive replacement for Beckham late in games.

I've mentioned this before, but I'd like to see the Sox bring in Alfredo Amezaga. He can play 2B, SS, 3B, CF, RF and has speed as a pinch runner. He's a crappy hitter, but he would fill needs as the last guy on the bench and he doesn't strike out as much as Lillibridge does.

Voted for Nix though because no matter what we have to have that secondary backup MIF and Lillibridge clearly needs work in Charlotte if he's going to have a big league career as basically another Amezaga.

I didnt follow the most likely part of the poll but oh well were not voting for the president here, I'm hoping for Orlando Hudson, do i think it will happen no, not at all. I think Teahen was brought in to play 3rd base and they're going to keep him there. What I'd love to see is O-dawg brought in and put at 2B and bat 2nd in the lineup thus putting beckham back at 3B and into the 3 hole or probably 5th or 6th with the potential to end up in the 3rd. Then you either DH Teahen or put him in the OF and DH CQ. I'd like this move a helluva lot more then adding thome back on and having him clog up the bases with PK and AJ. I'd love to see Rios have a year like we all know hes capable of and have the top of the lineup look like....

1. Pierre

2. Hudson

3. Beckham

4. CQ

5. Rios

If PKs gone next year acquire a 1B with some decent wheels, I know you're not gonna find many but im sure there's a lot faster than paulie. Just go out there with a team thats gonna score from 1st on a double.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
you only hurt the ones you love

Yes. And yet Lillibridge is *still* on the roster. Why hasn't he been traded for the proverbial bag of balls?

Look at the 40-man roster: the possible call-ups either need more defensive seasoning at AAA (Flowers, Viciedo) or are complete no-names (Gartell, De Aza). I'll bet they bring up Lillibridge.

The only function Lillibridge will serve for this team is as a warning sign: if/when he gets called up, it is an alarm bell that Kenny needs to work the phones to get a new 25th man in, pronto.

QUOTE (TitoMB345 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
Call it a hunch, but I voted Lillibridge. Ozzie's undying love with finally show through.

I thought that Ozzie didn't like Lillibridge. Didn't he call him out last year for trying to hit home runs? *edit* Didn't see SS2k5's post before mine.

Edited by BFirebird

Since Ozzie doest want Thome I think its not truely about this "dont want a full time DH" thing. I think its about speed. It looks like this full time statement is just a way to say he doens't want a baseclogging lumberjack on his roster. That way his DH can be someone like Damon or Blalock, who he can then claim "can also play the field". It doesn't necessarily have to be Kotsay or Jones.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
Since Ozzie doest want Thome I think its not truely about this "dont want a full time DH" thing. I think its about speed. It looks like this full time statement is just a way to say he doens't want a baseclogging lumberjack on his roster. That way his DH can be someone like Damon or Blalock, who he can then claim "can also play the field". It doesn't necessarily have to be Kotsay or Jones.

You took the words right out of the post I was going to type out. I think this is spot on. Guys like Jones and Kotsay are stop-gap type additions until more of their younger players are ready or players they want to acquire FA-wise (next year) or trade-wise are available. I was listening to Cowley on the radio last night and he made some interesting points about the rotating DH not being the worst idea. While I don't usually agree with him or like him for that matter...he brought up the multiple guys that could hit 20 homers and on off nights they have more guys that can manufacture runs (A La the "Pirahanas"), but I don't think the Sox have ALL the right parts to make it work. I think it is naive of us to think that this kind of overhaul could be completed in 1 offseason. It appears they are changing their philosophy a bit and I guess we will just have to sit back over the next 2 years and see if it works.

Edited by BFirebird

Based off what I project to see in Spring Training, it should be Retherford...but it will be Nix (he has no options left).

I still think there will be a trade but I can't say that said trade will be for the "25th man." That player will be more substantial so the 25th man will come down to your usual suspects.

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 01:41 PM)
You took the words right out of the post I was going to type out. I think this is spot on. Guys like Jones and Kotsay are stop-gap type additions until more of their younger players are ready or players they want to acquire FA-wise (next year) or trade-wise are available. I was listening to Cowley on the radio last night and he made some interesting points about the rotating DH not being the worst idea. While I don't usually agree with him or like him for that matter...he brought up the multiple guys that could hit 20 homers and on off nights they have more guys that can manufacture runs (A La the "Pirahanas"), but I don't think the Sox have ALL the right parts to make it work. I think it is naive of us to think that this kind of overhaul could be completed in 1 offseason. It appears they are changing their philosophy a bit and I guess we will just have to sit back over the next 2 years and see if it works.

I believe in the same theory, this is a process. A strategic shift from penicling in a lift and pull baseclogger from the DH position to one that can say do some more. A good stopgap that meets both parties halfway would be Damon or Blalock becuase they provide 20+ HR pop from the left side, can play the field, and arent ur typical basecloggers. I also thought Tejada or Atkins wouldnt have been bad either. Though I do believe the white sox would love develop or acquire a player that can be a rotational DH and play the field well too. Im thinking along the lines of a better Mark Tehean type. My gut tells me this could be Alex Rios if Jordan Danks develops into an everyday OF or say the sox go after Carl Crawford next year.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
I believe in the same theory, this is a process. A strategic shift from penicling in a lift and pull baseclogger from the DH position to one that can say do some more. A good stopgap that meets both parties halfway would be Damon or Blalock becuase they provide 20+ HR pop from the left side, can play the field, and arent ur typical basecloggers. I also thought Tejada or Atkins wouldnt have been bad either. Though I do believe the white sox would love develop or acquire a player that can be a rotational DH and play the field well too. Im thinking along the lines of a better Mark Tehean type. My gut tells me this could be Alex Rios if Jordan Danks develops into an everyday OF or say the sox go after Carl Crawford next year.

A better "Meet the parties halfway" guy is Hudson.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 08:59 AM)
If Hudson were willing to take a part time role for cheap, he'd certainly seem to be a good fit for Ozzie's bizarro DH/IF needs.

Given that he wound up last year hurt, that seems like the ideal role for him. With this roster, I'd look at him easily getting 300+ PA's if he stayed healthy and could play a decent SS/3b.

I voted Nix not because that is my choice but because the question is worded "who will the Sox pick". The first 24 could change before opening day and that would affect the 25th. As it stands now I guess Nix is the best of the bunch listed above. Retherford is interesting lets see what kind of spring training he has. It will not be Damon, Hudson, Flowers, or a 13th pitcher.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)

If Danks develops, it won't be Rios who currently is our best OF defender that goes to DH. Rios could shift to RF or Danks in RF with Quentin at DH or Pierre to *cringe* DH if Crawford were on the club in LF.