Worst Farm System in MLB

DirtySox

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 06:10 PM)
thats my point, if you have a chance to get a really good player you should. like if we could get gonzalez even for hudson, flowers and danks2 and maybe someone else, i wouldnt mind too much because although they all seem like very , very legit prospects, you just never know what can happen. ive seen too many busts

Look, Law is off target, sure Beckham graduated from prospect status, but you can't say that we have had the worst drafts the last two years, I would put us in the top quarter on that if you include Beckham. We've debated this many times, but really, what prospects have burned us, I was worried that Jeremy Reed, Majewski, Fogg and others would have burned us and they didn't. We'll get better and draft more athletes.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
Says Keith Law. While Keith Law certainly isn't a big White Sox fan, I find it hard to argue against this one. Even the Astros have jumped ahead of them. Here's hoping for a decent 2010 draft class.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/col...%26id%3d4861174

Tell me why the Cubs are 7th. They have no farm system to speak of, and couldnt even unload their non prospects on other teams. Keith Law is not a good minor league person.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 01:34 AM)
Tell me why the Cubs are 7th. They have no farm system to speak of, and couldnt even unload their non prospects on other teams. Keith Law is not a good minor league person.

I know he has a huge infatuation for Starlin Castro so that's probably part of why they're ranked so high. He was the first prospect guy to hype Castro and now everyone's on the bandwagon.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)

well if theyre ranked 7th then everybodys minorleague system must suck. i was looking at our top ten. its not all too impressive but i dont know if id rank it last...i agree a lot more with SI. esp with what they said about our system. SI RANKINGS

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 07:49 PM)
I know he has a huge infatuation for Starlin Castro so that's probably part of why they're ranked so high. He was the first prospect guy to hype Castro and now everyone's on the bandwagon.

i was doing a little reading about him to see what the hype is. so basically he projects as edgar renteria, with a little better defense

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 02:08 AM)
i was doing a little reading about him to see what the hype is. so basically he projects as edgar renteria, with a little better defense

I don't get it either. But then again I didn't get the Elvis Andrus hype, and then he goes and has a 3 WAR season as a 20 year old rookie.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 07:49 PM)

And yet he calls Viciedo a non-prospect in his comments. Exactly why he is an idiot.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
When I saw the name "Hanley Ramirez" used as a comp for that kid I just x'ed out of the page.

theres quite a few comparisons that i read. so hes supposably the next hanley, soriano , renteria, andrus, tejada :wacko:

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 08:08 PM)

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 08:11 PM)
I don't get it either. But then again I didn't get the Elvis Andrus hype, and then he goes and has a 3 WAR season as a 20 year old rookie.

I went on a little rant about him in the Cubs thread. If he really is that good defensively, then there is some credit to it, but I'd like to see that defense first.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 08:27 PM)
And yet he calls Viciedo a non-prospect in his comments. Exactly why he is an idiot.

^^^^^ That is one of a thousand good reasons.

He wrote a pretty scathing report a few years ago explaining why Gavin Floyd was basically not a major league pitcher too.

Doh!

he might be the next hanley or he might bust, you never know. some players live up to the big hype(beckham) and some dont (alex gordon) of course this is as of now, regarding those two players. esp alex gordon, he was supposed to be a great,cant miss prospect.

edit: i would like to add, cant wait for the season to start :blink:

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE (scenario @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 02:39 AM)
^^^^^ That is one of a thousand good reasons.

He wrote a pretty scathing report a few years ago explaining why Gavin Floyd was basically not a major league pitcher too.

Doh!

Well in fairness to Law, he is a stats guy. Floyd was posting 6 K/9, 5 BB/9. That's not a Major League pitcher. Gavin Floyd's turnaround was seemingly unforeseeable by everyone other than Kenny and his scouting team.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 08:48 PM)
Well in fairness to Law, he is a stats guy. Floyd was posting 6 K/9, 5 BB/9. That's not a Major League pitcher. Gavin Floyd's turnaround was seemingly unforeseeable by everyone other than Kenny and his scouting team.

If Law is a stats just then he really has no excuse for the Alexei Ramirez comment in Oct. 2008.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 03:04 AM)
MLB Network had a Top 50 Prospects of 2010 special tonight. Zero White Sox prospects made the cut. Not Flowers, not Mitchell, not even Hudson. The Royals, Rangers, and Rays led the way with four each.

Flowers hasn't been in many top 50's. He only made Sickels' list because of Desme's retirement. Mitchell I haven't seen in any top 50's. Hudson has been a lock in the 30's though, but he's the only one.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:09 PM)
Flowers hasn't been in many top 50's. He only made Sickels' list because of Desme's retirement. Mitchell I haven't seen in any top 50's. Hudson has been a lock in the 30's though, but he's the only one.

I was really surprised Hudson didn't make it. I thought Flowers had a chance to sneak in near 50, but I honestly didn't expect to see him.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 08:49 PM)

When J.P Riccardi thinks you're bad at talent evaluation that's saying something, becasue J.P. Riccardi knows all about being bad at talent evaluation.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)
MLB Network had a Top 50 Prospects of 2010 special tonight. Zero White Sox prospects made the cut. Not Flowers, not Mitchell, not even Hudson. The Royals, Rangers, and Rays led the way with four each.

I don't care. It's cool to see your favorite team talked about on these sports shows in any sport, but in the end it doesn't mean a hell of a lot.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:04 PM)

Last year no WhiteSox prospects made MLB.com's Top 50 (yes, different I know... just making a point about these types of rankings)...

Then Beckham almost won MLB-ROY and Hudson won MiLB pitcher of the year.

Neither showed up on their radar screens.

:0

Oops.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 08:48 PM)

The article I'm thinking of was written the first week of spring training in 2008.

Law basically stuck a fork in Floyd suggesting he was done, that he had nothing on his fastball, and that his curve wouldn't break, etc... after watching Gavin's FIRST outing in the first week of spring training.

Who makes a comment like that during the first week of freakin' spring training???

Anyone who watches a Don Cooper run staff knows pitchers focus on control the first couple of outings in S/T... not trying to blow away scouts with their speed or stuff... and that curveballs don't break in Arizona in March the way they normally do up north.

But Law obviously had to write an article for a deadline. Scouting quality and baseball acumen got trashed for a good story line. It's that type of ignorant crap that irritates me.

Of course, Floyd went on to make the Sox rotation and win 17 games in 2008. Nice 'scouting' Keith.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 03:29 AM)
I was really surprised Hudson didn't make it. I thought Flowers had a chance to sneak in near 50, but I honestly didn't expect to see him.

Not even top 60 for the pair:

51. Tyler Matzek, LHP, COL

52. Jennry Mejia, RHP, NYM

53. Mike Leake, RHP, CIN

54. Casey Crosby, LHP, DET

55. Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B, CLE

56. Nick Hagadone, LHP, CLE

57. Mike Trout, OF, LAA

58. Mike Minor, LHP, ATL

59. Freddie Freeman, 1B, ATL

60. Derek Norris, C, WAS

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 03:29 AM)

I wonder if the remarkably low success rate of Sox prospects the past few years has resulted in heavy skepticism on the rest of the system, and in turn the next highly touted prospects?