Las Vegas Trip

HeGone33

Heading to Vegas at the end of March and staying at Caesars Palace. I've been to Vegas about 4-5 other times, but don't ever recall trying to upgarde a room. I recently heard of the Twenty Dollar Trick where you simple sandwich a $20 or $50 between your credit card and DL at check in while asking if there are any upgrades available.

Does anyone here have any suggestions or thoughts on this or what would be the best possible way to get an upgrade? I booked through Southwest vacations staying in a "classic" room.

Thanks!

I've pulled off a successful upgrade once, at the Wynn. A couple of things will make it hard; if you have no record of gambling with the players club card of the hotel you're staying at, then they might not want to upgrade you. If you're staying for a long time, then that really hurts your chances at an upgrade, because the only way they'll upgrade you is if they have rooms available for every day you're there and they think there's 0% chance of someone else booking them. If you're staying on a weekend, very unlikely.

I didn't include the $20 when I asked if there was an upgrade available, but I left a $20 once I got the upgrade. Your best bet is really just to ask.

Laugh all you want Sqwert, but this happens and there's record of it happening all the time.

The last two times I went to Vegas I pulled off the sandwich with a $20 and got free upgrades from a normal hotel room to a suite. (10/08 - Mirage, 10/09 - PH) I don't think the f***s working at the counter make so much that $20 doesn't make them happy. I'm 2/2, so I'll go ahead and say this works wonders in Vegas.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 12:21 PM)
That is pretty freaking sweet. But what do you do if you do the tip and they say no...you take the money back right?

This is why you ask first. It doesn't hurt to have the cash in your hand if you make the ask, in a way that they can clearly see it.

The only other site I go to besides this one is vegasmessageboard.com, you can find really good deals and reviews all over this site. If you have a question, post it and you'll always get an immediate response. I'm leaving for Vegas on Saturday so it really helped me to have this information before hand. They have a thread specifically for the $20 trick, I'll leave the link.

$20 trick LVMB

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
The only other site I go to besides this one is vegasmessageboard.com, you can find really good deals and reviews all over this site. If you have a question, post it and you'll always get an immediate response. I'm leaving for Vegas on Saturday so it really helped me to have this information before hand. They have a thread specifically for the $20 trick, I'll leave the link.

$20 trick LVMB

Thanks for the info, when you come back please let me know if you tried the sandwich and if it worked. Have a great trip!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 11:21 AM)
That is pretty freaking sweet. But what do you do if you do the tip and they say no...you take the money back right?

They know the drill. If they can't do anything for you they'll give the money back. But, it's always a nice gesture to tip (a couple bucks) for them trying anyway.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 12:17 PM)
Thanks for the info, when you come back please let me know if you tried the sandwich and if it worked. Have a great trip!

got here yesterday, i did the $20 tip not trick. Had my hands on the counter with the $20 peeking through. I asked if I could get a suite higher up with a view of the strip. He clearly looked at the twenty before punching away at his keyboard and got me the view of the strip, a fridge that they usually charge you $20 a day for and a $30 resort credit. I'd suggest doing it this way, it felt more like a tip while we both knew it was a bribe.

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
got here yesterday, i did the $20 tip not trick. Had my hands on the counter with the $20 peeking through. I asked if I could get a suite higher up with a view of the strip. He clearly looked at the twenty before punching away at his keyboard and got me the view of the strip, a fridge that they usually charge you $20 a day for and a $30 resort credit. I'd suggest doing it this way, it felt more like a tip while we both knew it was a bribe.

Where you staying, broseph?

QUOTE (chwhtsox @ Jan 31, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)

Awesome, have a great time, man. :) Just make sure you don't lose your satchel.