Favorite Chicago Food Spots

flippedoutpunk

Hey guys! Some of you might remember me from way back when, the reason I haven't been posting much at all on the site was because of me being in the military and what not for the past four years, well.. Im back in Chicago and you all can bet your butts that one of first things ive been doing since coming back home is going to all my favorite food joints that only Chicago can offer... Im always interested in learning about new places that I havent been to that can be vouched for by other people as having amazing eats... All im asking is for you to please drop some names of some places that you would consider so good that you would HAVE to eat there at least once before you perish from this earth :bringit

Ill start out by naming my all time favorite place... Kumas Corner on belmont and elston.. By far the greatest burgers i have ever eaten in my life, and the atmosphere of the place is real neat. Great service and all.. You just have to pretty much guarantee yourself that you will be waiting in line for at least an hour at any given time of any given day.. But the wait is well worth it!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to have you back home, and sincere thank you for your service to our nation.

Man, we all love these threads when they pop up. I'd probably be 400 pounds if I didn't move away from Chicago 20 years ago.

Many of my recommendations are from way back in the day, so others can jump in if places have gone downhill or disappeared altogether. For good lowbrow eats here are some of my favorites:

Burgers and Shakes: Top Notch on 95th St. in Beverly

Hotdogs: Fat Johnniies, 74th and Western

Crazy fast food joint with good dogs, burgers, banana shakes, cheese fries, fried ketchup tacos, etc.: Janson's Drive-In, 99th and Western.

Seafood, mostly fried with killer breading and hot sauce: Lawrence's Fisheries, 21st and Canal St.

Pizza: Everyone ha their favorites (See the current "Don't Like in Chicago" thread) , but Lou Malnati's seems to be a universal fave here.

My favorite burrito and gyro joints have closed, so someone else can fill in those gaps.

Lindy's Chili at 36th and Archer is worth a pilgrimage if you haven't been.

I'm a Harold's Chicken nut, but it's not everybody's cup of meat. Mmmm gizzards in hot sauce with white soppin' bread. . .

Athena or Greek Islands in Greektown if you've never been.

A must do Sox Fan pilgrimage to Miler's Pub on Wabash if you haven't.

Walking around the city with a big bag of hot caramel and chedder mixed popcorn from Garrett's popcorn on a cold day is something I miss.

That's al I got off the top of my head.

Thanks Jim! i was actually looking for some south side spots so this helps a lot :) thank you for contributing to my future obesity :lolhitting

Another spot thats worthy of a mention is Hot Dougs on California and Addison.. This place is just amazing, it gained a lot of its attention during Chicago's foie gras ban a couple years ago. As Doug (the owner) was the only actual person that was fined for selling it in the city. Now that the ban is over they are back to using foie gras on the menu, and its damn good :)

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
Phil's Pizza on 35th and Aberdeen. I'm used to how good it is by now, but whenever I have people in town from other areas of the country, they love it.

Flaxx, what the hell is a fried ketchup taco?

It's what I call the Janson's/Snyder's taco. . . seasoned ground beef, lettuce and pump cheese in a soft taco shell with a sauce that I'm pretty sure is just ketchup that they fold up and pop into the fryer. Sounds nasty I know, but they are really good!

Oh, I need to ad Al's on Taylor Street near UIC as my pick for best Chicago beef. Then walk down the street for an Italian Ice at Mario's. Mmmm.

Al's Beef on Taylor

Tufanos on Vernon Park for cash-only italian

Birdsnest on southport for wings

Salernos on grand

Vinnie's on grand for the city's best tuna salad sandwich

Brunch: Wishbone, Palace Grill, Hashbrowns, Lou Mitchells

Best dives to get blacked out and nobody cares: Marquis Lounge, Dugans, Cody's, Underground Wunderbar, Richards, Boss Bar

I'm an Italian food freak so I could list a few: Rosals, La Scarola, Cafe Bionda, Mart Anthony's to name a few.

Just had some of the greatest texas style brisket ever at this place called "Smoque" over on addison and pulaski. Someone told me that the place was shown on the food network channel so I had to check it out and boy did they deliver. Its hard to find a place with good brisket in chicago but this place nailed it!

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 07:48 PM)
Awesome. My friend is a marine reserve getting back from Iraq in March, same month I get back. I can't wait to see him.

make sure you take him someplace awesome to eat.. lord knows when i got back from iraq thats the first thing i wanted.. a beer, and some REAL food lol..

Kumas Corner for Burgers. Heck, even Lady Gaga eats there while in town.

Hot Doug's for Dogs. Just like 4 blocks away from Kumas actually. Just like Kumas, always packed for good reason.

Al's Beef for well, beef. Greatness I say.

Not a huge fan of Top Notch burger.

The Pit in Hickory Hills has some great ribs.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 07:57 PM)
Kumas Corner for Burgers. Heck, even Lady Gaga eats there while in town.

Hot Doug's for Dogs. Just like 4 blocks away from Kumas actually. Just like Kumas, always packed for good reason.

Al's Beef for well, beef. Greatness I say.

^Yeah That, ALL of that^ :headbang :headbang :headbang

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jan 29, 2010 -> 01:53 AM)
make sure you take him someplace awesome to eat.. lord knows when i got back from iraq thats the first thing i wanted.. a beer, and some REAL food lol..

I'll be sure to follow through on that!

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 08:19 PM)
theres a few locations i believe...but like 4 of the best 5 thai dishes i've ever eaten have come from Opart's on South state (right next to the aforementioned cafe biondi)

That place is fantastic as well. If you go to Cafe Biondi, get the stuffed shells, holy s***.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
That place is fantastic as well. If you go to Cafe Biondi, get the stuffed shells, holy s***.

heard it was good from my uncle as well...i will definitely try it ....zapatista is good mexican nearby on Wabash as well

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 28, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
What about places for when you're drunk?

I am jonesing for a slinger right now from the Diner Grill on Irving Park...

White Palace Grill on Canal and Roosevelt and Lawrence's Fish Market were first choice. Harold's Chicken or Rosie's Gyros worked as well. Fox's thin crust was not me favorite but it's right up there, and the one on Western used to be open late enough for a drunk pizza.